Updates from September, 2019 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • giorgis 12:29 pm on September 29, 2019 Permalink
    Tags:   

    The ruins of Syriholm – S1E00 

    Hexflower Dungeon Crawling

    It is late night at the Black Cask, a poor inn at the crossroads between Blyne Vale and Slate Hills.
    Most townsfolk have retired for the night and the servant girl has begun sweeping the floor. The fireplace is lit, but the innkeeper hasn’t fed it another log, in the hopes of casting away the odd looking trio sitting at one of his tables in the corner.
    The door opens and a gust of wind sweeps in. Cane enters the silent bar room. He is a muscular towering young man with a stern look on his face. His black hair falls long upon the thick wolves hide covering his shoulders. He takes a quick look around, and without a pause, walks steadily to the party.
    He eyes them all one by one. What a weird company he thinks. Two short people and a blond woman, all cloaked as if they are hiding something.
    He towers upon the table, pulls out a broken part of an amulet from his pouch and puts it on the table with a loud thump.
    “I was summoned” He says. “Now which one of you is Furi Grinarson?”
    One of the two short figures, the more stoutly built one, and Cane can clearly see his red long braided beard.
    “I am” he responds in a bass voice, and joins the broken part with three other similar ones, completing an amulet. Furi introduces the company.
    “These are Atiel Nerdalye and Erias Chily, summoned like you. And your name is?” He asks.
    “Cane” the barbarian replies and pulls a chair and joins them. “Innkeeper!” He shouts. “A pint of ale!”
    The trio looks worried. “We try to keep a low profile you brute!” Atiel whispers scolding him.
    “A low profile? You must be joking. There isn’t anyone in 10 leagues who won’t be talking about you lot tomorrow, and no, low height doesn’t mean low profile.”
    “Don’t be insolent! You have been summoned to pay a debt” Furi snarls, but pauses as the innkeeper brings the ale.
    Cane nods. As the innkeeper leaves, Furi continues. “My grandfather helped your ancestors. As gratitude they swore an oath for their line to help him or his descendants when called upon. Now is the time to fulfill the oath.” Furi takes a breath, then continues with a tone of sadness in his voice.
    “My ancestors used to live in Syriholm, from where we were driven away 100 years ago when the orcs broke through our defenses. My mother left with the refugees to Khizdumunz but my grandfather stayed behind to cover the retreat and perished.
    About a month ago I learned that his great axe was sighted in the hands of Gorkil the Bleak, an orc warlord with a den in the ruins of Syriholm. This is a family relic. My grandfather slew a troll with it. It is a desecration and must be stopped. I ask you to help me recover it. Then you are free from your oath.”

    “Orcs? Trolls? Khiz… you speak of things I do not know of” Cane responds.
    “Did you have to summon the human as well?” Atiel asks with a tone of superiority as if speaking about a child.
    “Human? why what are…?” Cane pauses as he finally sees clearly under the hoods and realizes why the party is cloaked. Fairy people, dwarves, elves and halflings. He had heard fairy tales before but he thought they were stories to keep children in bed at night. He downs the ale in a big gulp and wipes the foam from his mouth. Atiel smiles at how the haughty barbarian is at a loss.

    “I will do as asked!” Erias says.
    “The favor must be repaid. I will join you on your quest Furi Grinarson!” Atiel adds in a soft voice.
    An awkward long pause passes as Cane tries to get a grip of what just transpired.
    “Cane?” Furi asks.
    Quickly Cane gets his wits. “I may not know what is asked, but I am no oathbreaker. By Baran, I will join you!”

    The party rests for the night at the Black Cask, and in the morning, to the innkeepers relief, they ride away to their quest.
    Two weeks later they reach the entrance to the ruins of Syriholm.

    This is the storyline setting for my Hexflower dungeon crawling adventure.
    After a couple terribly failed attempts to run it with only one character, I switched gears and introduced a party.
    In order to test my system I will be using a completely stereotypical fantasy party.
    Dwarf warrior.
    Elf ranger.
    Halfling thief.
    Human barbarian.
    The setting will be mid-low fantasy.

    I will be using this hexflower with the following results.

    1. CREATURE
    2. ALARM
    3. guardian
    4. creature
    5. encounter
    6. PRISONER
    7. ENCOUNTER
    8. ENCOUNTER
    9. prisoner
    10. CAMP
    11. creature
    12. TRAP
    13. alarm
    14. alarm
    15. OBJECTIVE
    16. objective
    17. GUARDIAN
    18. trap
    19. BBEG

    For now I will be asking Oracle questions in order to populate each room, but maybe in the future I will set up tables and use them as I go.

    Navigation:
    a. 12
    b. 2-3
    c. 4-5
    d. 6-7
    e. 8-9
    f. 10-11

    Rules:
    Room for room I will be rolling 2d6 to get the next room main concept according to the hexflower.
    One can double back to a previous room but there is a chance for a random encounter. You roll 1d6 and if it’s under the alarm level of the dungeon, then there is an encounter.
    A roll of doubles means there is a fork to the path, so one can double back and follow (new roll) this path instead. Another doubles on the same hex, means there is a third fork… etc

    Rations.
    Each character has enough rations, medicines and other consumables, according to their skills, equal to 3 times their Wit dice plus pips.

    For the game system I will be using MiniSix barebones, homebrew with a Success pool count system.
    Wild dies will explode on 6, and have a mishap on 1. On mishap you reroll. If it’s a 6 you get a complication, otherwise it’s a penalty (-1 success).
    Regular and wild die succeed on a roll of 3+.
    +1 pip die succeeds on a roll of 6, and +2 pip die succeeds on a roll of 5+. When added to a +3, the pip die succeeds on a roll of 4+.

     
  • giorgis 11:24 am on September 26, 2019 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Solo Metagaming and how to avoid it 

    Secret doors, trapped chests, cursed magic items, enemies patrolling around the corner, betrayal from a close friend.

    All these -and even more, when presented in a game by the GM provide a surprise element which can be exhilarating for the players. They are crucial for certain game types such as horror and mystery.

    All is good then for a table full of players and a good GM, but what happens when you play alone?

    Metagaming cannot be avoided at all cases, but it can be minimized.

    Of course, if you don’t care about the player experience and just want a good narrative, this is not for you, because this comes at the cost of a good narrative.

    Rule #1: The Oracle should answer the bare minimum.

    Imagine real Oracles. Pythia was asked How can the Greeks defeat the Persians? and her answer was The wooden walls will save you!.

    Of course you don’t have to be cryptic, but don’t turn the answer into You will defeat the Persians in naval battle in Salamis straits.

    Rule #2: Whenever condition you want to ask can be resolved by the game ruleset, use that, instead of asking The Oracle.

    If there is a perception skill, use it to find out if your character can see anything. If there are only classes and levels, ask The Oracle.

    Rule #3: Mix Rules #1 and #2. Once you know that your character could have seen something because he is perceptive (successful roll), then ask The Oracle. The fact that your elven scout is eagle-eyed doesn’t mean there is something to see.

    Rule #4: When you can’t avoid metagaming, use it. So you asked a question you shouldn’t and you learned that the bandit who blocks your way is in fact hired by the local sheriff. Then you must deliver this information to your character as soon as possible (preferably in the same scene) and try to do it without acting on it before knowing it. Maybe the bandits are haughty “Sheriff Smith surely delivered when he told us about the four strangers carrying gold in their caskets! At them boys!”.

    The switch between ruleset and oracle resolutions should happen according to the event type, see below.

    Action Events

    These are events driven by the player.

    In those, you roll first the game mechanic. If there is a success then you also ask The Oracle. The actions must be defined specifically. If you search for traps, you can’t ask The Oracle if there is hidden treasure.

    Examples:

    The dwarf scout searches for secret doors. Roll Success! Q: Is there a secret door?

    The halfling thief pickpockets the merchant. Roll Success! Q: What does the merchant carry?

    The elf wizard casts a premonition spell. Roll Failure! Can’t ask the Oracle.

    Reaction Events

    These are events that are triggered as a reaction to the player. If there is a chance for something to happen you ask The Oracle.

    Examples:

    The warrior opens the chest hidden below the goblin throne. Q: Is it trapped? A: Yes!, Roll Perception to notice it or Dexterity to avoid it, whichever is higher.

    Transition Events

    These are events that occur while transitioning from one scene to the next. This all plays out before any player actions or reactions.

    Something that the characters see which is clearly evident, common knowledge, or a chance to trigger a passive character skill.

    Examples:

    The players’ starship emerged from hyperspace to a new system. Make a Passive Sensors roll to see if the ship detects anything without actively searching for it. Whether the sensors roll succeeds or fails, continue with Oracle questions. If the sensors roll was successful, then the characters may have a chance to act first (roll if the other side detects them as well). If the sensors roll fails, then the event supposed that the other side has detected them already (if no one had detected each other there would be no event).

    Passive Events

    These are events occurring at downtime or behind the scenes.

    The player has no say in them, and usually they are not known.

    As a generic rule these are handled through Oracles, as Interventions (MUNE), Exceptional Yes/No (CRGE) or whatever the Oracle calls them.

    Examples:

    The heroes killed a wanted thief. Unbeknownst to them he was part of the thieves guild, and now they have a bounty to their head. There will be assassins hunting them down, but all this information will become known as the intervention unfolds.

    Where to stop

    Don’t overdo it. These rules are supposed to help avoid metagaming, not bog down the game with strict guidelines and questions. In the end, it’s your game. Do what you want as long as you have fun!

     
  • giorgis 10:36 pm on September 22, 2019 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    D6 Night of the Blood game session 

    Scene #1: The Hunt

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: Yes, but the next scene question will be unlikely

    The thunderstorm is raging, and the party has stopped. Audible between the thunder is the sound of a strangled baying.

    Q: Are the horses uneasy?
    A: Yes, they will require an easy Animal Handling or Riding skill to keep in check.
    Evie tries to keep a hold of her horse.
    Evie: Riding: 2/2: Success.
    Gustav tries to calm down the mule.
    Gustav: Animal handling (-1D): 2/2: Success.

    Since I know the party will be surrounded by the beastmen anytime, I have to ask if the characters have the common sense to move on before it’s too late.
    It’s going to be a Moderate Perception roll for each of them. If any of the characters succeeds, he may or may not have to convince the rest to continue the journey.
    Bianka: (Savvy +1D) Perception: 2/3: Fail.
    Evie: 3/3: Success.
    Gustav: 3+/3: Success.
    Rudiger: 3/3: Success.
    Wow, seems the uneasy horses and the baying sound tipped them off that something’s not right. Only Bianka thinks of staying, but I don’t suppose it will be hard to convince her otherwise.

    “We need to press on. Something’s not right!” Evie says as she pulls the horses reins forward to make her move.
    “I’m glad you said so m’lady” Gustav adds. “The rain is hard but these woods scare me.”
    “Of course you’re scared you weakling!” Rudiger’s bass voice rumbles. “You should be. Who knows who hides in the shadows. Press on!”
    “Where are you going you fools?” Bianka shouts from the rear. “We will be swept aside by the torrents that will form in the rain.”
    “We’re moving on. If you chose to stay, you’re on your own.” Evie snaps at her. She never liked her dirty appearance anyway.

    Evie: Persuasion: 2/2: Success. Complication! Evie’s relationship with Bianka is damaged, and she will automatically fail any further persuasion attempts in the rest of the adventure.

    “Right… thanks” Bianka mumbles as she falls in and follows the group forward.

    Q: Does the party manage to avoid the beastmen? (Likely)
    A: Yes, And they avoid them altogether.

    Scene #2:Moving On

    Q: Is the scene stable? (Unlikely)
    A: No
    I will roll 1d8 on TWENE: 8! Remove major element
    I draw a portent, and I get, Inflict Pain. Wow.
    I don’t want to remove the bad weather as major element, or the waterlogged road. Instead, to align with the portent, I want to remove the horses, without giving a chance to roll on riding or animal handling. For fairness I will ask the Oracle.
    Q: Are the horses (1-3) or the weather removed?
    A: Horses

    As the party moves slowly, a huge torrent cracks from a ravine to the side of the road, carrying along trees and debris. The horse and the mule do not budge, and the party barely moves aside as they are swept away.
    “My horse!” Evie cries out trying to reach her.
    Rudiger stops her. “You can’t save her my lady!”
    Bianka is filled with a weird feeling of accomplishment, being proven correct about her fear of moving on.

    Scene #3:The Hooded Man

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: No, and
    I will roll 1d10 on TWENE: 7: Add major element
    I draw a portent, and I get, Discuss Time, another card, Distant. Doesn’t make any sense. I will ask decktet. Nothing here either. I will ask the Oracle then.
    Q: Did the beastmen arrive at the Hooded Man?
    A: No
    I draw another portent from GMA. I get Detect Tool. I decide that in addition to the Ferry entrance, the main gate key, has been lost in the rain, and is in the mud in front of the gate. A Moderate Search roll will reveal it.

    As the party arrives at the hooded man, the start banging at the doors, but noone opens, and the doors won’t budge.
    Bianka starts to search for a way in.

    Bianka: Search: 4+/3: Success!

    Looking around in the heavy rain, Bianka locates a big bronze key. She puts it in the main gate and unlocks it. But the door doesn’t budge as it seems barred from the inside.
    The rain keeps pouring down on them and they want to find shelter desperately.

    Gustav: Perception: 2-/2: Success

    “There is another path going to the side of the inn. Maybe we should follow it.” Gustav announces and the party nods and follows.

    Scene#3: The Ferry

    As they come upon the ferry house, Bianka enters it first, followed by the rest of the party.
    They are all thankful for even a few moments of dryness.

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: Yes, but the likelihood will decrease in the next scene.

    Rudiger checks the ferry, but the ropes have been cut, and the raft is on the other side.

    As they take a moment to pause in the ferry house, they notice signs of struggle.
    Rudiger puts his hand on his sword and covers Evie. “My lady, something happened here. Stay besides me at all times.” Evie stays close and doesn’t say a word.

    Bianka: Search: 2/2: Success

    Bianka searches through the overturned stuff and finds a bag with 12 shillings and 42 pennies.
    She brings it to the party. “There is cash here.”
    Rudiger grabs it and gives it back to her. “Then it wasn’t brigands who did this.” He wonders out loudly.
    “Look! There’s blood here!” Gustav notices at the door.

    Gustav: Perception: 2-/3: Failure
    Bianka: Perception: 1-/3: Failure
    Noone notices that a body was dragged out.

    “We shouldn’t stay here for long. Whoever did this may return. We need to get in the inn. The walls will protect us.” Gustav points out.
    It doesn’t take much to convince the rest of the party, and they all head out.

    Bianka: Perception: 1/2: Failure.
    Gustav: Perception: 3/2: Success

    “There mylady! There is another path heading to the inn. It’s good that my eyes are sharp and are well in the rain.” Gustav says and Evie smiles.
    Bianka goes in front, while Rudiger with Evie are right behind, with Gustav staying in the rest.

    Q: Is the door open, as in the story? (Likely)
    A: No
    Q: Is it locked?
    A: Yes
    So here I have a change in the story. I didn’t want to roll for the scene stability just for a door, so I just asked the relevant question.
    Now the only way in is by climbing over the walls.

    “It’s locked as well! Argh!” Bianca says disappointed. “I will try to climb over and open it from the inside.”
    She looks at Rudiger. “Hey, big man, care to give me a lift up?”.

    I decide for a Moderate climbing difficulty adjusted by +1 due to the rain and -1 due to Rudiger’s assist.
    Bianka: Climbing: 4+/3 Success

    Rudiger lifts Bianka on his shoulders and she finds footing on the wall and climbs it quickly.

    Once on the other side, she opens the door, and the party finally enters.

    The most likely, the party heads for the Inn directly and avoids the stables and the coach house altogether, especially since they lost their horses.

    They head to the inn, and try to open the doors to the bar room.

    Scene#4: The Bar Room

    Q: Is the scene stable? (Unlikely)
    A: No, but I will be rolling 1d4 on TWENE.
    I get a 2: Decrease simple element.
    Q: Is it the sound of merriment and laughter (1-4) or the fire in the fireplace (5-6)?
    A: 1, the noise of the inhabitants is not so loud and is covered by the sound of rain and thunder. A Moderate Perception must be performed to hear it.
    Gustav: Perception (+1D due to acute hearing): 4+/3: Success

    The party reaches the bar room but the door is bolted and the curtains are drawn.
    “It’s locked as well. Should we look around for anyone?”. Bianka asks.
    “Wait! I think I hear someone inside. Let’s knock!” Gustav intervenes.

    Since Bianka has the Savvy characteristic I will give her a chance to be wary.
    Bianka: (Savvy +1D) Perception: 4/3: Success

    “Stop you fool!” Bianka grabs him as he heads to the door. “Why do they have the curtains drawn and the door locked? Maybe whoever caused the struggle in the Ferry house, is in there.”
    “I just want to get my clothes clean, dry and rest. How am I going to appear before the prince in such a terrible visage?” Evie counters.

    Bianka: Persuasion vs Evie: 2+/3
    Even though Bianka failed, the party is weary nevertheless.

    Bianka sighs, as Gustav continues to the door with Evie’s support, and knocks.

    A minute or so later, they hear the sound of the door unbolting, and they see one of the fattest men they have ever met.

    Gustav: Perception: 1-/2: Failure
    Bianka: Perception: 1/2: Failure
    Evie: Perception: 2/2: Success
    Rudiger: Perception: 2/2: Success

    Evie and Rudiger share a look as the fat man seems surprised to see them.
    “I am la-” Evie begins to say but Rudiger cuts her off. “We are weary travelers in need of shelter from the weather. Our horses got swept in the rain.”
    The fat man stays silent for more than a few uncomfortable moments, until he finally says. “Yes. Come in if you must.” He steps aside to make room for the party to enter.
    A small fire burns in the fireplace, and a man is sitting next to it.
    Evie notices he is wearing a road warden’s uniform, and she feels a bit relieved.
    The man stands up. “Otto!” He says out loud to the fat man. “Who are these strangers who just arrived?”
    “Just travellers thrown off course sir.” Gustav says as he approaches. “My name is Gustav, this is Evie Vogel, Rudiger and Bianka. How should we address you?” Gustav has already started to show off, putting emphasis on the Vogel name.
    “I am Hans. What-” He is interrupted by a loud thump. A man with overly protruding eyes starts mopping something at the end of the room.

    Bianka: (Savvy +1D) Perception: 3+/3: Success

    Bianka decides to go check what is this man doing. Otto steps in the way.
    “The kitchen is open to clients only.” He snaps.
    “About that!” Evie intervenes. “We want a room for the night.”
    “It is full!” Otto snaps at her.

    Evie: Perception: 1/2: Failure

    Bianka looks around. “Where are your clients then? The bar is empty.” She asks.
    “The coach party has just retired for the night. I have nowhere to put your ‘kind'” he scoffs.
    Hans moves forward and interferes as he notices the tension building up. “Where are you coming from?” He asks Evie.
    “Ingenfels” she says. “And my father won’t be happy at all to hear of our treatment in this establishment!” She adds in an authoritative manner.
    Otto sneers. “I may find some room upstairs. But it won’t be cleaned, the staff has retired for the night.”
    As he says that the man with the mop leaves the room.
    Bianka wonders about Otto’s contradictions.
    Gustav sits on a table. “Bring us something to drink, ale and wine please.”
    Otto mutters something and heads to serve the party.
    As Rudiger and Evie join Gustav on the table, Bianka, stands alone in the corner. She never liked the company of people anyhow.
    Hans peeks at her for a moment and then grabs a chair and sits near the party’s table.

    Rudiger then addresses the road warden. “You do a lousy job. The ferry is damaged and the ferry house looks like it was attacked!”
    “Yes we were attacked. It was bandits. They did this. That’s why we’re locked for the night.” Hans replies.
    Otto brings ale and wine in the dirtiest tankards Evie has seen. There are flies stuck on the side of the wares.
    “Why didn’t he say something then?” Rudiger asks as Otto leaves the table.
    “The bandits left after the attack, after all how do we know it wasn’t You who attacked the ferry?” Hans counters.

    “I suppose you want something to eat as well?” Otto shouts from the bar.
    The party agrees in unison and Otto goes into the kitchen.

    “I am no bandit!” Evie protests. “I am a lady, the daughter of baron Vogel, and my business is my own sir.”
    Hans nods. “I will leave you to it then.” He says and heads to the kitchen.

    Gustav: Perception: 4:2: Success

    Gustav notices a bloodstain in the back of Hans’ shirt.

    As the party is left alone, Bianka goes to see what the man was mopping.

    Bianka: Search: 1-/2: Failure

    Whatever it was, it was cleaned thoroughly.

    Bianka: Perception: 4+/2: Success

    Bianka overhears Hans telling about Tzeentch and about the Kurts to Otto.

    Does Bianka know what Kurts is?
    Bianka: Intellect: 2/4: Failure
    Does Bianka know what Tzeentch is?
    Bianka: Intellect: 4++/2: Success!!!
    She knows it’s a chaos god.
    Bianka attempts to sneak into the kitchen.
    Bianka: Sneak: 4+/4: Success

    Scene#5: The kitchen

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: Yes, but the next scene will be less likely to be

    Bianka manages to slip in, and sees a bucket full of blood and the blood red mop. She hears Hans walk in, and leaves at once. Hans closes the door loudly with an air of finality.

    Q: Does Bianka have a chance to tell the group what she heard before Otto appears?
    A: No, but she can get a warning.

    She sits on the table and says “Something’s wrong here!” mere seconds before Otto joins them with the hot stew.

    Since the characters are wary, I will reduce the difficulty of detecting kurts by 1 from VD to D.
    Bianka won’t eat. She has seen a lot to worry.
    Evie: Perception: 4++/4: Success!
    Gustav: Perception: 4/4: Success!
    Rudiger: 0-/4: Failure, Complication!
    Rudiger falls victim to his alcohol addiction and drinks a lot. The alcohol covers up the Kurts taste and he eats two bowls.

    Bianka stands in the corner alone and doesn’t eat a single spoon. Evie and Gustav notice the odd taste and stop eating soon.
    Rudiger not only fails to detect the Kurts, but he likes the stew so much that he also eats Bianka’s portion before Evie and Gustav have a chance to stop him.

    Bianka: 0 doses
    Evie: 1 dose
    Gustav: 1 dose
    Rudiger: 4 doses
    I will ask the Oracle on what the effect of the extra Kurts will be. I will roll once for: faster set period, longer duration and for additional effects.
    Q: Is there a faster set period?
    A: Yes but, only by a small margin
    Q: Is there a longer duration?
    A: No, and for some reason the duration may shorten if the person vomits (roll Moderate Strength)
    Q: Is there an additional effect?
    A: Yes, but it’s only the Fatigued effect in addition.
    Does Rudiger vomit?
    Rudiger: Vomit: 3/3: Success
    Q: Since Rudiger vomited will he be fatigued (1-2) or unconscious (3-6)?
    A: Fatigued

    Otto arrives as the party has finished eating. “I will show you to your room.”
    “All in one room?” Evie exclaims. Otto doesn’t bother to answer, and the party stands up to follow him.
    Rudiger clenches his stomach, he feels really uneasy, reaches for the stew bowl and pukes inside.
    Otto snorts. “Some men can’t handle their liquor.”

    Scene#6: The Common room

    Q: Is the scene stable? (Unlikely)
    A: No, but I will roll 1d4 on TWENE
    1: Increase simple element. The room is dirtier than usual.

    They are led to the common room. It’s dirty and the beddings are soiled. A rat scurries away in the corner. There’s no carpet on the floor, and it seems to be dirty wet with mud.
    “You expect me to sleep in this hovel?” Evie protests again.
    “‘Tis the best I can do.” Otto shrugs and leaves the room. He closes the door and as the party can easily hear, locks it.

    Bianka updates them on what she heard about the chaos god.
    “I’m thinking we should find a way to leave.” She says.
    Rudiger is no condition to walk. He is inebriated and fatigued and falls like a log on the bed.
    Evie and Gustav feel so tired.
    “I’m sure that what you say is true. Unfortunately we’re in no condition to go anywhere. Maybe once Rudiger gets back on his feet we can try it.”

    Evie: 1 hour fatigued effect
    Gustav: 9 hours fatigued effect. Strength: 2/3: Failure.
    Rudiger: 4 hours fatigued, inebriated effect. Strength: 3/3: Success, reduced by 1 hour to 3 hours.

    Gustav: Perception: 1/2: Failure
    Bianka: Search: 1-/2: Failure
    Nor Gustav or Bianka notice the carpet tacks.

    For a long time the party tries to recover. Only Bianka is feeling well. Rudiger is holding his head. Kurts and alcohol does not mix well. In all this period they listen to the uneasy sound of horses in the stable.

    Q: Does Bianka see Otto go to the stables?
    A: No
    Q: Does Bianka see Otto return from the stables?
    A: No
    Fagor approaches the characters room. Bianka: Perception: 2+/2: Success

    Bianka puts her finger to her mouth gesturing for silence as she hears movement outside the room.
    A while later they start to hear discordant chanting.

    “We must get out!” She says. “Something wicked is happening here. I will try to climb out the window.” The party worried, nods.

    Bianka: Climbing: 2/2: Success

    Evie sees the task and instead of following she orders Rudiger to break down the door.
    Rudiger grabs the hatchet and starts hacking at the door.

    Rudiger: Strength(Hatchet) vs Toughness: 2/0-: Success. 2 SL are required to break it. I rule that the critical failure means that it breaks without much noise.

    Rudiger, inspite of his fatigue and inebriation, brings his massive strength to bear and the hatchet cracks the door open with a single strike. He goes in front, with Evie in the middle and Gustav at the rear.
    Rudiger draws his sword and equips his shield. Gustav spends a moment to signal Bianka that they will meet downstairs.
    The party joins back together in the kitchen, as Bianka enters through the unlocked door.
    They hear the chanting louder and louder, coming from nearby, but unable to pinpoint the exact direction.

    Q: Does he ceremony end now?
    A: No, but it will end soon.
    Q: Is there any screaming audible?
    A: Yes, and they all near the screams without the need for a perception check.

    “We should check the stables for horses-” Bianka begins to whisper, when they hear a loud scream that sends shivers down everyone’s spine.

    Scene#7: The stables

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: No
    I will roll 1d8 on TWENE
    8: Remove major element.

    The party runs to the stables and as soon as they open the doors, they see something macabre. The horses have been slaughtered and their limbs have been cut off and and spread around the stable.
    A second scream is heard.
    “We should help whoever it is!” Evie says.
    “Are you crazy? Didn’t you hear what I said about the chaos god?!” Bianka shouts at her.

    Evie: Persuasion vs Bianka: 2/0: Success

    “At least let us find what is going on and if we can’t help then we can inform the authorities.” Evie says.
    Bianka nods grumbling.

    Bianka: Search: 5+/2: Success

    They search the Inn and Bianka quickly finds the cellar opening.

    Q: Has the ritual ended?
    A: Yes

    Scene#8

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: No, and
    I will roll 1d10 on TWENE.
    2: Decrease simple element. There are no bloodstains on the floor.

    The chanting has ended as the party enters the cellar. Wines, beers and spirits are in bottles in the cellar. But what draws the party’s attention is the opening in the center of the room, that seemed to be uncovered by a stone slab.

    As they descend the stairs they hear the sounds of struggle and screams.

    Scene#9

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: No
    I will roll 1d8 on TWENE
    7: Add major element
    I draw a portent from Decktet: The Window. There is a portal to the chaos realm that needs to be closed, and that will happen only if the demon dies. The portal is visual only, you can’t enter it, but it will cause corruption to anyone looking at it, unless they succeed a Moderate mettle/willpower roll.
    Q: Has anyone survived from the demon?
    A: No

    The party comes upon a horrifying visage. There is magical blob of screaming faces and claws in the center of the room. Right below it is an ever changing image of flesh, blood, bones, teeth and an octagon.

    Bianka: Mettle: 0/3: Bianka gains 3! Corruption points. Bianka rolls a 2! She succumbs to corruption. She gains Egotistical, Obsessive, Deceitful.
    Evie: (Resistance to Magic +1D) Mettle: 4/3: Success
    Gustav: Mettle: 3/3: Success
    Rudiger: 1/3: Rudiger gains 2! Corruption points! Rudiger rolls a 2! He gains Miserly and Impatient.

    Initiative:
    Demon: 5
    Party: 2

    Round 1:

    The demon attacks (Roll 1d4): Evie.
    He’s at reach 0 vs reach 1 of Evie. The reach difference doesn’t change initiative order.
    Evie parries.
    Demon: Claws: 1-/0: Hit!: 3/1: Severely Wounded. Also closes to 0 reach.

    Bianka: must succeed Fear VD test…right. She spends 2CP and gets: 3/5: Failure.
    Gustav: Against Fear: Coolheaded (+1D) will also spend a Fate Point: 5/5: Success!
    Gustav attacks the demon with his hatchet. He gains +1D due to reach and also doubles due to the Fate point.
    Gustav: Attack: 6/2: Success: Damage: 7++/1: Dead! It splits in half!

    The demonic creature lashes a claw at Evie, severely wounding her right arm. Bianka gathers her strength but she cannot overcome the unnatural fear she feels, and stands motionless in front of it. Then Gustav, the faithful servant, seeing his lady wounded, gathers whatever sense of courage and determination he has and hacks at it with all his being. His fury is such, that the hatchet comes down at the demon with such strength that it splits in half. Two blue horrors take form from its body.

    Round 2:

    Initiative again.
    Horrors: 3
    Party: 2+1 due to reach.
    The horrors attack first.
    The first horror attacks (1d4): Bianka: 3+/5: Miss
    The second horror attacks (1d4): Bianka: 4+/4: Hit: 3+/1: Severely Wounded, Left Arm.

    Bianka needs to overcome her fear. The Splits are at a Difficult TN. Bianka: Fear: 2/4: Failure.
    Evie moves behind Rudiger and Gustav.
    Since Gustav overcame his Fear over the horror and slaughtered it, I will give him an automatic success over the splits Fear.
    Gustav attacks the first split: 4/2: Success: Increase Damage: 3/2: Wounded.
    Rudiger fries to overcome his Fear. He spends 2CPs: 5+/4: Success
    Rudiger attacks with his sword: 6+/2: Hit: Increase Damage: 5/2: Incapacitated.

    The split horrors take a claw at Bianka, one attack connects slashing Bianka at her left arm, severely wounding her.
    Bianka stands motionless in fear while Evie hides behind her companions.
    Gustav and Rudiger slash at the same horror, wounding it and bringing it down, blue and red blood splashing everywhere.

    Round 3:

    Since the demon is of Tzeentch, chaos god of change, I decide that they may attack anyone at range randomly and change targets each round.
    The horror attacks (1d3): Bianka: 1/1: Hit: Torso: Damage: 1/1: Stunned
    Bianka retreats in the back.
    Gustav attacks: 3/2: Success: Increase Damage: 3+/3: Stunned
    Rudiger attacks: 6/2: Increase Damage: 8/2: Dead.

    The blue horror slashes again at Bianka but the wound is superficial.
    Gustav hacks at it again, but only scratches the thick skin surface.
    Then Rudiger thrusts, his sword piercing the demon through to the other side. It leaves out a screech and dies out.
    Rudiger then finishes off the downed horror.

    The magical portal on the floor disappears as the remains of the demon evaporate into nothingness.

    The party looks at each other trying to grasp in their minds what just transpired.

    They look around and see a pile of bodies in the room.

    “We should bury the dead.” Evie says.
    “Burning them would be safer my lady.” Rudiger adds. “But first we must tend to your wounds. Let’s go upstairs and we can do it first thing in the morning.”

    Rudiger: Healing Evie: 2++/3: Failure.
    Rudiger: Healing Bianka: 2/3: Failure

    Scene#10: The Road Wardens

    Q: Is the scene stable?
    A: No
    I will roll 1d8 on TWENE
    5: Increase major element
    There will be 8 Road Wardens instead of four.

    As the first light dawned upon the inn, the party is in the main room of the inn, tending to their wounds.
    They hear the sound of horses approaching. Rudiger goes to the window, to find eight Road Wardens in the yard.
    They unsaddle and one of them heads to the stables while two others to the inn entrance and knock.

    Rudiger invites them inn. At the same time, they see the massacre at the stables and unsheathe their swords.

    “Who are you? What happened to the horses?” Their leader asks. Fear and caution in his voice.

    Evie explains the events of last night.

    Evie: Persuasion: 2/3: Failure

    Not even her noble status is enough to convince the Road Wardens. Without any sign of the demon or the mutant, they are suspicious of the party and insist that they accompany them to the nearest city, where an inquisitor will take their statements.

     
  • giorgis 11:15 pm on September 20, 2019 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: Night of the Blood, ,   

    Night of the Blood Session Zero 

    Since I’ve left Star Wars D6 with Roy and Luca to rest for a while, my next attempt at solo roleplaying will be in the Warhammer Fantasy world, the Night of the Blood pre-written adventure module.

    I’ve chosen this as, I like the Warhammer setting (played the wargame back in the day), and I want to take a hack at a prewritten module to see how it will play out.
    I was inspired for this by /u/Classictoy ‘s attempt of the same module with Mythic GME.

    One thing I’ve learned from previous attempts, is that I need to take my sweet time, and prepare prior to starting an adventure. So I had to prepare my custom Oracle, the homebrew D6 system, and the characters.

    Custom Oracle

    To run the prewritten module, I will be using a modified version of MUNE, with the aim of delivering a result similar to what /u/Classictoy did with the Mythic GME.

    For each scene I will be asking the question to the MUNE Oracle: Is the scene as written?
    Yes, and: Increase Intervention count by 1, next question for scene stability will be more Likely
    Yes: No change
    Yes, but: Next question for scene stability will be less Likely
    No, but: Roll 1d4 on TWENE
    No: Roll 1d8 on TWENE
    No, and: Roll 1d10 on TWENE

    Beforehand, I will choose a likelihood for each scene based on what I feel like.

    Homebrew D6 System

    As with my Starwars D6 Legends system, I will be using the same success/failure system.
    Wild dies will explode on 6, and have a mishap on 1. On mishap you reroll. If it’s a 6 you get a complication, otherwise it’s a penalty (-1 success).
    Regular and wild die succeed on a roll of 3+.

    +1 pip die succeeds on a roll of 6, and +2 pip die succeeds on a roll of 5+. I am also thinking of introducing a +3 pip die in the future. Food for thought.

    Since I didn’t like how combat was bland at times in my Star Wars D6, inspired by Mythras and the D6 System GM’s Guide, I will be using the following rules for flavoring the combat system with effects.

    The Module

    I will be using the difficulties as described in the module, and converting the NPC stats on-the-fly. In general each 10% in Warhammer NPC stats I will translate to 1D in game. But this is just a rule of thumb for unaltered scenes.

    Reach

    Similar to how ranged weapons have a range, melee weapons have a reach.
    Close (0m): Unarmed, Knife, Dagger
    Medium (1m): 1-H
    Long (2m): Polearms, Spears, 2-H

    Roll Initiative

    Character with highest initiative acts first. If joining melee combat, between the two combatants, deduct reach from initiative.

    Example: Joe has a knife (reach 0) and rolls two successes at initiative. He acts first. He decides to attack Jim who holds a rifle with a bayonet at the end (reach 2) and rolled one success at initiative. Jim attacks first because of the longer reach.
    Combatants now are at Long reach.

    Each reach level difference incurs a -1D penalty to hit rolls.

    Example: Jim attacks at his normal skill, but Joe will attack at -2D because of the Long range.

    As per normal D6 rules the defender can dodge or parry/block or use his passive defense (weapon TN).
    For each SL, the attacker or defender in case of an active defense can choose a combat effect.

    Combat effects

    • Close/Open Range (each SL modifies reach by one)
    • Increase Damage (each SL adds 1D damage)
    • Called Shot (each SL can move hit location by one)

    Example: Jim rolled 2 successes on his attack, and Joe parried with 4 successes. Joe uses his two successes to close the reach to 0. Now it is Joe who has the upper hand. He attacks with 3 successes against Jim’s passive TN of 1. Now he chooses increase damage for 2D extra damage.

    Hit Locations

    I will be using Star Wars D6 Hit Locations:

    • 1: Head
    • 2-3: Torso
    • 4: Reroll: 1-3 Left Arm, 4-6 Right Arm
    • 5: Left Leg
    • 6: Right Leg

    Shields

    The shield adds its defense bonus to the block roll (melee combat) if actively defending and depending on the size (Buckler/Round/Tower) to the armor rating of the respective areas if passively defending (Hit locations: Left Arm/Left Arm, Torso(3)/Left Arm, Torso(3), Left Leg).

    Inspired by MiniSix barebones, I will use 4 attributes. Strength, Dexterity, Perception and Intellect. OpenD6 Fantasy Skills will be divided among them. I will be using the Star Wars D6 skill names over others, to accommodate a harmonized approach between my plays (e.g. Stealh or Move Silently will be Sneak skill).

    AttributeDescriptionSkills
    StrengthBrawn, Toughness, Constitutionlifting, running, stamina, swimming
    DexterityAgility, Coordination, Reflexesacrobatics, brawling, climbing, contortion, dodge, jumping, melee combat, stealth, lockpicking, marksmanship, drive, pickpocketing
    PerceptionAccumen, Initiative, Charismadisguise, gambling, hide, investigation, riding, search, streetwise, survival, tracking, animal handling, con, charm, command, persuasion, gossip, bargain
    IntellectIntelligence, Willpowercultures, devices, healing, navigation, reading/writing, scholar, speaking, trading, traps, intimidation, mettle, common knowledge

    Character Generation

    My characters will divide 12D between the attributes and also will have 7D in skills with a maximum of 2D per skill.

    I will be using a Warhammer chargen and interpret the skills to the D6 system. If a character doesn’t have the skill, they suffer an increase in difficulty by 1 TN.

    Talents will be giving a +1D bonus to respective actions. E.g. Very Strong will give +1D to lifting, Resistance to Poisons +1D when resisting poison effects, Sling Specialization +1D when using a sling, etc. I may have to make a call at the time of playing because I don’t want to spend my session zero devising a complete rulebook.

    I will be using Description and Motivations from UNE. I will be using BOLD for character backstories. Also I will be using Demeanors from Septimus.

    I decided on a simple story. One of the characters will be a noble lady, accompanied by her bodyguard and her servant, on her travel to a castle where the local prince has invited her to the ball. The details of each character will be randomized. In addition I will add a completely random career character, who just happened to be on the road alongside them, when the Night of the blood scenario begins. I wanted to give the characters a reason to be travelling together. Also I did not want them to be all combat-ready, something to give a bit of a story to the module.

    Without further ado, here are the four characters:

    Evie

    CharacteristicDescription
    NameEvie Vogel
    RaceHuman
    ProfessionNoble
    Age20 yo
    GenderFemale
    Height180cm
    Weight72kg
    EyesPale Grey, Almond shaped
    HairBrown
    SignThe gloaming star
    BirthplaceWissenland, Poor village
    AttributeStat
    Strength2D+1
    Dexterity3D
    Perception3D
    Intelligence3D+2
    SkillStat
    Melee combat4D
    Marksmanship4D
    Common Knowledge(Empire)4D+2
    Speaking(Reikspiel)4D+2
    Gossip4D
    Charm4D
    Read/Write(Reikspiel)
    Ride
    Persuasion4D
    Performer(Musician)
    Gambling
    • Etiquette
    • Savvy
    • Resistance to Magic
    • Public Speaking
    • Coolheaded
    • Schemer

    Inventory: Fine clothing, riding horse, short sword, jewelry, gold.

    Demeanor: Traditional
    UNE: lazy activist, offend the wealth
    BOLD: pleasant deputies overcome by scarce-used ability

    Evie is the daughter of Baron Vogel. She is traditional and doesn’t want radical changes, and has taken it upon herself to see that the wealthy merchants are taxed heavily and the taxes are given to the nobility. She’d prefer if someone else would help her on this task though.
    To that end, she wants to charm the neighboring prince into marriage and she has left the estate with her bodyguard Rudiger and her servant Gustav to go to the castle where she was invited.
    On the way they were stopped by some friendly roadwardens who, seeing her wealth, required tolls to be payed. Using her knowledge of the law she reminded them that only the toll collector had the authority to collect tolls and they should be careful lest they be mistaken for brigands preying on hapless travellers.

    Gustav

    CharacteristicDescription
    NameGustav Dickopf
    RaceHuman
    ProfessionServant
    Age19 yo
    GenderMale
    Height165cm
    Weight75 kg
    EyesGrey
    HairBlonde
    SignThe greased goat
    BirthplaceNordland, Small settlement
    AttributeStat
    Strength3D
    Dexterity2D
    Perception4D
    Intelligence3D
    SkillStat
    Melee combat3D
    Marksmanship3D
    Common Knowledge(Empire)4D
    Speaking(Reikspiel)4D
    Gossip5D
    Con
    Dodge3D
    Trade(Cook)
    Drive
    Haggle
    Read/Write
    • Ambidextrous
    • Coolheaded
    • Acute hearing
    • Hardy
    • Very Resilient

    Inventory: Fine clothing, hatchet, knife, cooking supplies, mule.

    Demeanor: Flamboyant
    UNE: obnoxious fortune-hunter, convey opulence
    BOLD: lethargic traitor overcome by strong attribute

    Gustavo is Evie’s servant. Despite his low status he is flamboyant, and tries to siphon off wealth from Evie to show off. He wears expensive clothing and behaves as someone above his class. Evie likes him so she tolerates it, but others are not so disposed. He passes of to his peers as an obnoxious fortune-hunter, which actually he is.
    When the estate cook started gossiping about Gustav, he managed to find him sleeping on more than one occasion and convinced Evie to demote him to stable boy. Gustav is escorting Evie to the castle where she was invited by the prince.

    Rudiger

    CharacteristicDescription
    NameRudiger Dirnbach
    RaceHuman
    ProfessionBodyguard
    Age37 yo
    GenderMale
    Height175cm
    Weight69 kg
    EyesPale Grey
    HairBlack
    SignGnuthus the Ox
    BirthplaceMiddenland, Hovel
    MarksSeamed face
    AttributeStat
    Strength4D
    Dexterity3D
    Perception3D
    Intelligence2D
    SkillStat
    Melee combat5D
    Marksmanship4D
    Gossip
    Dodge4D
    Heal3D
    Intimidate3D
    Common Knowledge(Empire)3D
    Speaking(Reikspiel)
    • Very Strong
    • Lightning Reflexes
    • Parrying Specialist
    • Throwing Specialist
    • Street fighting
    • Strike to Stun
    • Quick draw
    • Very Resilient

    Inventory: Sword, Shield, Chain hauberk.

    Demeanor: Hardboiled
    UNE: addicted judge, spoil the oppressed
    BOLD: deceiving labor overcome by on accident

    Rudiger is an old soldier who was appointed as a guard to the baron’s estate. As Evie grew, the baron appointed Rudiger to be her personal bodyguard.
    Rudiger is a veteran of many battles, and little that he sees shakes him. He has seen orcs, goblins and the occasional bandit. He believes firmly in the order of things and that the poor are supposed to stay poor and support the nobility.
    When he was younger, he was once deceived by an agitator to fight for ‘the cause’ and free the peasants from their lords rule. When, by mistake he came upon the peasant leaders divulging in their loot, he killed them all and left. He decided never to assist the traitorous peasants again and took it upon himself to punish them whenever possible. His combat skills and passion for riot control soon were noticed by the baron, who took him under his employment.
    After the last peasant revolt he has taken it upon himself to root out any danger that comes from the low classes. On such events, he alone decides the fate of the prisoners.
    His harsh life is not without scars though, and he has turned to be a functional alcoholic.
    Currently Rudiger is escorting Evie to the castle where she is invited by the prince.

    Bianka

    CharacteristicDescription
    NameBianka Geissler
    RaceHuman
    ProfessionRat Catcher
    Age17 yo
    GenderFemale
    Height166cm
    Weight70kg
    EyesGrey blue, bloodshot
    HairDark Brown
    SignWymund the anchorite
    BirthplaceNordland, Poor village
    AttributeStat
    Strength4D
    Dexterity3D
    Perception3D
    Intelligence2D
    SkillStat
    Melee combat5D
    Marksmanship4D
    Search4D
    Stealth4D
    Gossip4D
    Common Knowledge(Empire)3D
    Speaking(Reikspiel)
    Animal Handling
    Traps
    • Very Strong
    • Savvy
    • Resistance to poison
    • Resistance to disease
    • Sling Specialization
    • Tunnel rat

    Inventory: Hatchet, sling, bag of rats, rat cage, mouse traps.

    Demeanor: Aggressive
    UNE: reputable recluse, Record the public
    BOLD: common traitor overcome by personal resources

    Bianka is a young woman who has made a reputation as a rat catcher. She’s quite aggressive against the critters and doesn’t like the company of other people, keeping to herself.
    She wants to beat the numbers of rats she catches in comparison to the other rat catchers.
    In the last town she was in, a fellow rat catcher stole her bag of rats and sold it off as his own. She used her wits and skill and managed to catch an even larger number of rats, this fulfilling her contract.
    Bianka just came upon Evie’s company and by happenstance they go in the same direction.

    Summary

    Wow, using UNE which is meant for NPCs to create my characters, created some people bordering on the side of evil if this was DnD. But this is Warhammer, and I absolutely enjoy the results. I am eager to see how it will play out.

     
  • giorgis 12:36 pm on September 14, 2019 Permalink
    Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,   

    A scout mission gone awry 

    Reflections on my first solo play adventure


    When I first heard about solo playing I was very skeptical. I decided to try it out nevertheless and my first two attempts were a disaster.

    In my first try, I tried to play without the use of an Oracle, but by being the GM and emulating the character. Didn’t work out, and my character was slaughtered by a critical hit that severed his knee in the first round of combat in the first scene.

    Second try, I used BOLD to set up a story, and started using an Oracle to set up the scene, but quickly I got lost in questions that made no sense and abandoned it.

    Both of these were set in an agnostic fantasy setting, and herein lies the first two problems I had to solve. I needed to have some meta knowledge of the setting my character lived in, and also knowledge of the game mechanics so that I won’t be losing a lot of time.

    So I chose Star Wars D6. I know the setting. I’ve watched the movies and several of the animated series episodes. It’s also a huge universe, so I could mix canon stuff with things I made on the fly through the Oracle. Secondly I have the physical books in my collection from my TTRPG days. No more going back and forth in pdf files trying to browse to the page I want.

    In retrospect, those two were excellent choices that helped drive my play forward.

    I created a scout character. I chose a scout because he is prone to solo adventuring, and I wouldn’t have to think a lot about an adventure hook. So without a second thought I used a name generator until I got something I liked and off we go.

    Here I made a mistake. I didn’t spend some time to create some proper background for Roy. Yes, he wants to explore and he wants to make a name of himself. That’s very shallow. It caused me a few headaches down the road where I wasn’t sure how Roy would react. So he acted how I would act.

    I tried to fix it later by using BOLD for a backstory, but still I have a gap there. For the future I intend to use some random roll based on Septimus and OpenD6 chargen which has several traits that will have both roleplaying and game mechanics impact. Lesson learned.

    First play session in, and I have a very bad roll in astrogation. Which destroyed Roy’s ship and has him evacuate in a hurry to survive.

    That was great! At the moment I couldn’t see it, but a story module could have been designed that way and it happened in game!

    The cinematic nature of WEG Star Wars D6 payed out. Roy’s adventure turned oh so different because of this starting event.

    Third or fourth session in, I realize that Roy won’t get far all alone. He needs assistance. I managed to bring that to him through the Oracle and UNE and bring out Luca, who would become a secondary PC-NPC later on. Balancing is important.

    Here’s how I started mixing up Oracle rolls and game mechanics. Whenever there is a game mechanic rule about something, it takes precedence. Otherwise I ask The Oracle. Pretty much how the GM would arbitrate. So Roy managed to persuade Luca to help him. Why? I assume that in the end it was Lucas nature rather than the promise of a vague unknown reward.

    A topic that came along many times was the combat maps. Theater of the mind vs grid map. I tried both, but since I don’t have a dedicated board or something similar, I went with theater of the mind. It also resolved faster. When soloing theater of the mind also has no misunderstandings. In the future I want to bring out my legos and try such a visualization.

    Now a long journey begins. With the duo jumping back and forth between systems trying to get the information on those data cores. At some point I got frustrated. I think it’s one of those moments where a GM railroads the players back into the adventure.

    I couldn’t see the big picture of how interesting this was. Thankfully the fellow lone wolves who read on my story pointed it out, and I stuck with it, and a couple sessions later, the data cores are unlocked, and the duo, accompanied by Kuna heads off to the mysterious coordinates.

    Looking back, I see that all this struggle gave the adventure depth. It has a prologue, main theme, and we’re heading to the revelation and epilogue. Another lesson learned. Never abandon the story, there are always hooks.

    Somewhere around here I decided to play around a bit with the game system. No matter how cinematic, for reasons I explained elsewhere, the addition and target numbers slowed down the pace when playing. I switched to a homebrew D6 Legends with pips success resolution mechanic and never looked back. It’s easy, fast has narrative determination if desired and success levels so that I can tell how well the character did.

    Now heading to the end one of the hardest things I had to tackle was metagaming. I haven’t solved the issue yet, but I have identified several cases where it happened, and I intend to write down some rules on how to avoid it.

    In several of my sessions I knew things my character didn’t. I fixed those cases but still, it either stole some of the surprise elements or made me feel like I was cheating, when I disregarded them to go with the story and Oracle flow.

    I also made a couple mistakes and had to trace back and delete a paragraph or two and catch the story again from there. So another rule I follow is that unless it’s written down in the cleaned up form (e.g posted here) if I made a serious mistake I can scratch it and restart from there.

    There were a couple sessions where I noticed my errors afterwards, and the consequences were dire, with the team wounded and losing their starship, but in fairness I stuck with it.

    In one of my sessions, just when I thought the team would be handed over to the Imperials, I had a player moment. I thought of something my character would do based on what he knows, which was a solution to the problem! This was very important to me as it gave me the thrill of playing the game instead of narrating or making rolls to see how well I did.

    20 sessions in, and when the dramatic outcome of saving the Amalsi didn’t occur, I knew I had to wrap things up.

    At first, I took focus away and just wrote a short epilogue on how they went to Aros and lay low.

    It just didn’t feel right. So I split it up and step by step, I played the epilogue, which gave me the closure I wanted, and some extra plot hooks.

    It feels much more fair and complete now.

    Another thing I learned was how to focus in and out. That’s another advantage of the D6 system. The skills can be for a quick action (sneaking past a guard) or a long term series of actions (sneaking through the wilderness). It assisted me when doing the repairs on the Dragonfly and in the epilogue when I wanted to wrap things up. I could have scenes with Luca meeting up the black market contacts and the data forgers, but that could have sidelined to new adventures and I didn’t want that at the time.

    Another challenge is bookkeeping. I am not great at organizing notes. I have printed the base character sheets but I don’t update them regularly. So I use a combination of paper copy and electronic notes.

    The most serious issue here is keeping track of credits and resources. In game I resorted to asking The Oracle if my character had a desired item. Much as a player would ask his GM. I am underway to using something similar to OpenD6 Funds attribute. Will see how it plays out in the future.

    I closed the adventure at a point with several plot hooks. We have Kuna with major cybernetic enhancements and a Sith artifact. Deng, a pirate captain scouring through the system, the fleet footed Kimby running away from Lligon Tuk and the Empire bringing it’s wrath down to the Amal moon. When I catch up I intend to use BOLD waylays to see what happened in the downtime.

    All in all, it was a very fun experience. I will be keeping the D6 Legends homebrew for my next games, unless I want to try something else explicitly.

    I have some new solo styles I want to try out so I am hitting pause on Roy and Luca, to catch up on them again later.

    Brief summary of story


    Our protagonist, Roy was assigned a Scout mission from his corporate employer. He set off with his ship to explore, but a disaster happened in hyperspace and he was stranded in unknown hostile territory.

    There he met with Luca, an old smuggler who agreed to help him in return of a share of the reward on whatever they find. Luca flies the Red Rancor, an Ghtroc light freighter.

    They recover the Nav data cores but they’re locked and encrypted and they set off trying to find a hacker.

    They meet with Kimby, one of Luca’s contacts, but she disappears at the first hint of trouble as she is being hunted down.

    Then they find another hacker, named Kuna, but they can’t afford to pay him, so they do a cargo run to gather the necessary credits.

    When they return, the station where the hacker resides is under pirate blockade, and they have to mediate between the pirates and the station command to get to their objective.

    They succeed, joined by Kuna who cracks the security of the Nav data cores and jump to their destination.

    There they find a frozen moon, and their first contact is with Imperial forces. Despite their small strength, probably due to the fact that this was an Imperial scout force, in the second skirmish with the protagonists, they ambush them, and the Red Rancor is destroyed.

    The team is captured by the locals, the Amalsi who intend to exchange them to the Empire in return for some of their own.

    They manage to escape and reach the frozen cavern of the abandoned ruins of an ancient Amalsi city under the glacier.

    There they learn the story of the moon, how an evil wizard who landed there terraformed the planet in his attempts to mine out some crystals.

    They fight off some beasts and manage to find the wizards starship. They bring it back to operation and fly out of the city.

    The team then assaults the Imperial outpost and obliterates it. The Amalsi join in the attack, but when they meet with our protagonists later, there is an incident with Kuna and the team had to escape with their hides intact.

    Finally they reach back civilized space and Kuna goes his own way, taking one of the wizards artifacts that he found as his share.

    Review of tools and systems


    WEG Star Wars D6:

    The core rulebook and setting I played the adventure. I will definitely be returning to it.

    Pros: Low amount of crunch, Skill and in-game mechanics descriptions for most situations, NPC stats easy to eye-ball, Easy Wounds system with quick resolution.

    Cons: Target numbers hard to choose fairly, Adding up dice pools can slow down solo play, Combat can become stale shootouts, Rules can be missing at places.

    Additional books used: Galaxy Guide to Scouts, Pirates and Privateers, Tales of the Jedi Companion.

    D6 Legends Homebrew

    Homebrew rules to solve some issues I face. I will be keeping it and evolving it as I play more.

    Pros: Can be used with D6 systems without conversions, Fast success result resolution.

    Cons: Can’t be used in 100% of the cases, resulting in regression to the original D6 system

    MUNE

    Light, few page oracle with fast resolution and low bookkeeping.

    Pros: Easy, Fast, Intuitive

    Cons: The ‘buts’ can be difficult to narrate all times, regressing to simple Yes/No

    UNE

    Universal NPC emulator. Worked great for the cases I turned to it.

    Pros: NPC on the fly, NPC backstory

    Cons: The result may not fit the NPC.

    BOLD

    Book of Legends and deeds. What I loved about it is how easily it helped unleash a story when I was still learning my first baby steps in soloing.

    Pros: Produces great backstories. Can fill in in-between mission gaps.

    Cons: Can be difficult to combine the different story parts.

    GMA from beta Alone release bundle

    Had to print it out to use it, but it was worth the effort. It has great potential and is a quick assist at hand without having to search my online bookmarks for tools.

    Pros: No need for dice, no need for online portents, tailor-made for rpgs, solves multiple issues with one card.

    Cons: I don’t have the entire deck 😀

    donjon

    This site has a ton of resources from fantasy to cyberpunk to scifi. It’s my go to resource when I want something generated. I only head elsewhere if I don’t find what I need.

    Pros: Generators for almost every need

    Cons: Some generators enhance metagaming (System generators)

    Simplenote

    A cross platform note taking app that I use as an intermediary from paper to publishing.

    Pros: Cross platform (web, windows, Linux, iOS, Android), Note sharing, Markdown, publishing, export function.

    Cons: There are no folders so browsing can be a hard.

    Many thanks to the wonderful solo rpg community for all the knowledge sharing and support. It’s what inspired me to get on this endeavor.

     
  • giorgis 2:40 pm on September 12, 2019 Permalink
    Tags: , , , , , , ,   

    Solo StarWarsD6 pt20: Insult 

    System: Star Wars D6 by West End Games.

    Setting: Star Wars Era of the Rebellion.

    Character: Royxand Handscul ‘Roy’, Corporate scout

    Luca Delste, Smuggler

    Kuna Desyk, Hacker

    Solo Tools: MUNE, donjon, GameMaster’s Apprentice deck of cards from beta Alone release bundle

    Books: Star Wars The Roleplaying Game Second Edition (West End Games), Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts, Tales of the Jedi Companion, Pirates and Privateers.

    Homebrew Rules: D6Legends


    In this session, I’m using a homebrew rules system to streamline the difficulty rolls. I explain everything in detail in my blog here.

    You can view all my previous and the current posts in this subreddit and in my blog Solo, Pen, Paper and Dice.


    So I left off, when I couldn’t make something work with the intervention. The MUNE author wrote that when something like that happens, you can ignore MUNE. So that’s what I did, and moved on. I intend to roll again for an intervention in the next Oracle 6.

    Kuna joins his companions. “What’s the plan, defenders of the innocent?” he asks sarcastically.

    Roy doesn’t take the bait. “Find the imperial outpost based on our intel, bomb it before they have a chance to respond, land, and talk it out with the Amalsi on new terms.” He responds.

    “I also hear Prine station is short handed at miners, and the pirate crew of the Gauntlet of Ulan could use some reinforcements.”

    “I want to see you sell this to the Amalsi.” Kuna says and leaves.

    Q: Do they encounter any other starship?

    A: No

    Luca searches for the Imperial outpost, by scanning for different lifeforms than the main inhabitants (Amalsi) in the region that the captive snowtrooper had told them they were located.

    Luca: Sensors: 4/3: Success

    “Found them! Setting course for the imperial outpost, northern approach.” Luca says over the comms.

    The Dragonfly pierces through the atmosphere, and Luca brings her as low as possible to avoid easy detection from the outpost. There’s a good chance they’re expecting them. He just hopes they don’t have any anti-aircraft batteries.

    Q: Does the Imperial outpost have anti-aircraft batteries?

    A: No, but the have portable surface-to-air missile launchers (Apex Incisor Missiles).

    So I check the stats. The Apex Incisor has a max range of 1 km, but needs one round to lock prior to launch. At full speed that the Dragonfly is right now, they can cover this distance in one round, which will get the outpost within the short range for the 2 Concussion Sphere Launchers. I will roll initiative because if the Imperials survive the first bombing run, they may shoot before the Dragonfly returns.

    The outpost only has a few openings to the moon’s glacier surface.

    As the sound of the Dragonfly bursts through the atmosphere, a handful of snowtroopers emerge and start setting up a missile launch device. The targeting system starts to lock on the ancient starship.

    Roy sees the figures on his targeting magnification visors, but doesn’t care. His aim is right below them. If he makes the shot properly, the blast will take out the entire outpost.

    He’s glad they haven’t set up a garisson to the moon yet. Seems its only the initial scout force, and their transport must have gone to base to return with the brunt of the expeditionary force.

    He casts his thoughts away as he aims. It’s vital to shoot when the Dragonfly is as close as possible.

    Initiative:

    Team: 16

    Imperials: 9

    Luca: Space Transports Piloting to fly fullspeed above the glacier and get Roy at short shooting distance above the outpost: 7/4

    Roy: Shoots Concussion sphere: 4/2: Hit: 7/3: Destroyed, Concussion sphere: 3/2: Hit: 6/1: Destroyed.

    Luca maneuvers the Dragonfly in and out of the glacier canyons, and emerges above the outpost at less than 40 meters, when Roy pulls the trigger. Two concussion spheres are launched, pierce through the glacier below the snow rocket troopers and explode with violent force as soon as they enter the outpost.

    Both hit their target right on. Ice, snow and metal is launched everywhere as the Dragonfly flies past. The blast creates an avalance that brings down the snowtrooper force on the top, and the rumble reverberates under the glacier.

    Luca brings the Dragonfly to hover above the site of destruction.

    Q: Do any Imperials survive?

    A: Yes, but they are barely standing, routed and disoriented.

    Q: Do the Amalsi grab the chance to revolt?

    A: Yes, and they immediately rally and overpower their oppressors.

    Intervention: So this is the call for the intervention, and it fits perfectly for what I had rolled before that I couldn’t fit in. Therefore I won’t roll for a new intervention, but use that one.

    From the exposed opening, Luca can clearly see the aftermath of their attack. Some Imperial officers and snowtroopers try to wade through the snow and debris, but scores of Amalsi warriors armed with spears and javelins charge at them with all their fury, and the display is gruesome.

    As the smoke dies down, the fight ends. The Amalsi leave no survivors.

    Luca lands the Dragonfly in an opening above the glacier nearby.

    Amalsi start gathering in a circle, surrounding the Dragonfly, but they keep their distance.

    As Roy watches them he wonders if it’s fear or hatred about their ship that keeps them from approaching further.

    “I’ll keep the engine running.” Luca tells Roy and Kuna, as they disembark.

    Roy waits for a while near the Dragonfly, while Kuna stands a few meters behind.

    Suddenly, the Amalsi lines open, and their high chief, Vurrha Zatoq steps forward, accompanied by his strongest warriors. These Amalsi are taller and more well built than the rest.

    I will use the GMA to get a reaction from the Amalsi. I get a 6, which is quite average.

    “Meet again. Royxand of the Handskul clan.” Vurrha speaks. “You ride terrifying ancient enemy beast and help free Amalsi from Empire. You get pardon.”

    Roy accepts the greeting. ” Vurrha Zhatoq of the Amalsi. We accept your pardon. Hear me! The Empire will come again these were only scouts. You must leave Amal. Go to the stars. The Amalsi aren’t safe!”

    I will roll a persuasion, opposed.

    Roy: Persuasion: 2/3: Fail

    “Our home is Amal. Here we live, here we die.” Vurrha says with passion, loudly. “Hu-ha!” the Amalsi cry out in unison.

    With that, Kuna grabs the opportunity. He puts his hand on Roy’s shoulder. “You heard them. Let’s get out of here. They don’t want to be saved.”

    Roy doesn’t have a chance to answer, as he hears an Amalsi scream and start shouting something in their tongue.

    Roy will try to understand what it is about.

    Roy: Perception: 1-/2: Failure

    Roy and Kuna can’t understand what the fuss is about.

    Then, without warning, one of the Amalsi guards jumps forward, a javelin at his hand. He aims, and shoots it right towards Kuna.

    Surprise:

    Team: 6

    Amalsi: 14

    The Amalsi act first.

    I roll for the distance, and get short.

    Amalsi guard: Throw Javelin to Kuna: 2/2: Hit: 5/3: Left arm: Incapacitated

    Before Roy or Kuna have a chance to react, the javelin flies through the air, and pierces through Kuna’s left shoulder. Kuna drops down in pain.

    The surrounding Amalsi are already readying arrows into their bows. Roy realizes he has no chance, so he stands motionless.

    Then, the Amalsi guard, runs to Kuna, leans over him and snatches from his neck the talisman that he had found in the Dragonfly’s cabin.

    “You carry death here?” He shouts at Roy.

    The Intervention played out. It had to do with Join Locals, Sacreligious, and it’s an Entity Negative Event.

    “Leave.” Vurrha grunts slowly though his teeth.

    Roy wastes no moment. He grabs Kuna from his good shoulder, and they board the ship. As they enter the Dragonfly, he notices another Amalsi guard, bring a maul down to the talisman, shattering it in pieces.

    “The what happened??” asks Luca as Roy puts Kuna in the medbay.

    “It was going well, until they saw that weird talisman on Kuna’s neck, and went berserk. I think they only spared us because we eliminated the imperial outpost. This place is no longer hospitable, Luca, we must get away.” Roy answers.

    Luca runs back to the cockpit, and lifts the Dragonfly above the ground, heading to the stratosphere.

    Roy uses the medpaks to stabilize Kuna.

    Roy: First Aid: 2-/3: Failure, Complication. I decide for the complication that the wound is particularly serious, and can’t be healed with First Aid. Medicine skill or Natural Healing only, can heal Kuna.

    Despite Roy’s attempts, he barely manages to stabilize the bleeding. He notices severe damage to the bone and ligaments and has no idea on how to treat it better.

    As is common between smugglers, Luca has Nav coordinates of some favorite spots stored in his personal data console.

    Q: Does Luca have astrogation data for Prine?

    A: No, but, he has for another system in the same sector.

    I will roll 1D-1 Days and 1D hours: 4 hours base hyperspace trip duration.

    Since the ships of that time period had no Nav Computer, but relied on Nav Beacons to jump, the difficulty will increase by +6.

    I decide to mitigate it by spending 30 additional hours plotting the hyperjump by hand, and have Luca spend 1 CPs to ensure success.

    Astrogation: 5/3: Success: Trip duration 98 hours (~ 4 days).

    The closest destination is Aros. Unfortunately he can’t plug it in the Nav Computer because the Dragonfly doesn’t have one. The calculations at that time period were being performed with Nav Beacons, none of which exist anymore.

    So Luca used a manual astrogator to try to plot a course to Aros. It’s a daunting task, so he took one day to ensure every last bit of the calculations was correct, before initiating the backup hyperdrive. He also took the longer route, avoiding any potential obstacles, even if that increased the duration of the trip by 30 while hours.

    4 days later, the ancient Dragonfly emerges from hyperspace in Aros system, after the planet with the same name.

    Roy: Planetary Systems: 4/3: Success.

    Q: Is there imperial presence in the system? (Unlikely).

    A: No, but, they still have contacts here.

    The planet is a small terrestrial mass with a small continent in a huge sea.

    Aros is not at all interesting to the Empire, so they can lay here low for a while.

    Luca: Sensors Scan: 5 Success.

    Q: Are there other ships nearby?

    A: No, there is no traffic.

    Donjon showed a standard starport.

    Q: Do they grant landing request for the Dragonfly?

    A: No, but, there are landing spots that are not part of the starport.

    Luca runs a scan of the system. No starship traffic at all. He contacts the starport.

    “Aros starport, this is Luca Delste of the Dragonfly, requesting permission to land.” He says over the comms.

    “We hear you Dragonfly. Transmit TransVere.” The starport operator replies.

    “The transponder code was damaged during our travels. We will register for a new one.” says Luca.

    “Negative Dragonfly. No TransVere, no landing. We can arrange for an official to come with a shuttle, but that will cost.” The operator says firmly.

    Luca looks over at Roy. “Let’s find us a landing spot and get someone to register the ship while we’re planetside eh boy?.”

    Roy nods. Luca runs sensors.

    Luca: Sensors Scan: 7+/3: Success

    He finds a nice flat spot with settlements nearby, but far from the starport, where they won’t be detected.

    Luca runs the Dragonfly silent, and slowly descends on the planet.

    Starport: Sensors Scan: 3/5: Failure.

    Luca opens the comms in a new frequency. “Hey Dua! This is Luca. You still have that condo available?” Roy looks at him wondering what is Luca talking about.

    “Certainly, comes a mousey voice.” ‘Sullustan’, Roy thinks. “Is it you and your Red lady?” Dua asks.

    “No, we parted ways, I am with someone older now, more mature.” Luca says.

    “Alright, just hope she’s younger than 100. The room might not fit her otherwise.” Dua keeps the conversation going.

    “Yeah, coming at you old friend.”

    The Dragonfly is guided by Luca’s steady hand in one of the settlements, where, a rooftop opens up, and a small docking bay is revealed. As they land, the rooftop closes up again. Inside, a small, grey skinned sullustan awaits them.

    Luca and Dua greet amicably and exchange their news. He tells Dua that they will stick around a couple weeks at least, while he refreshes his contacts. He needs a data forger for the appropriate documents for the Dragonfly, and a fence to sell the treasures they found.

    Luca: Value: 3/3: Success

    Q: How much is the market value for the 3 golden amulets?

    A: (1D+9 Credits/gram=15 credits per gram) the gold amulets cost around 13500 credits in total.

    Q: How many Coruscant Standard Carats is the diamond ring?

    A: (1D (1/2 – 5 CSC): 5 CSC!

    Q: What is the market value for the diamons?

    A: 2000 credits, the diamond will cost around 10000 credits.

    Luca: Streetwise: Data forger: 4/4: Success

    Data forger cost: 1D+5 thousand credits: 6000

    Luca uses his connections to find a data forger team. They will forge the documents, and then hack the BoSS to submit them to the system. The entire attempt will cost 6000 credits.

    Luca pays for it from their initial credit stash from the Prine-Keena cargo run.

    Now seeing they are low in cash, he will try to sell the three golden amulets and the diamond ring. He evaluates then at about 900 grams good quality gold that will sell at about 15 credits per gram. The diamond ring has a huge stone that Luca estimates must be at 5 Coruscant Standard Carats and nicely cut.

    Luca: Streetwise: Fence: 5 (2+3 bonus)/3: Success

    Using his contacts, Luca manages to sell the jewelry for market value, and returns with 23500 credits.

    Now, Roy’s and his, share amounts to something less than 16000, so they can install a proper hyperdrive and a Nav Computer.

    The Hyperdrive is a Correlian Avatar-10 hyperdrive that will cost them 10000, plus 2000 for the Nav Computer. Installation costs will amount to 25%, for a total of 15000 credits, and it will take one week to install them in Dua’s docking bay.

    In the meantime, Roy, tries to find a proper hospital for Kuna.

    Q: Is there a hospital on Aros?

    A: Yes, but, it doesn’t have a bacta tank.

    Kuna tries to improve through natural healing: Roll: 5: Worsens to Mortally Wounded.

    Roy brings Kuna at the hospital, but the bacta tank is not working, and has been sent out for repairs. They give him the best possible treatment, but the wound is infected with an unknown bacteria, and Kuna actually worsens.

    The doctors give him an option to amputate his shoulder and replace the damaged part with cybernetics.

    Q: How much will it cost?

    A: 1D: 2000 credits.

    Roy and Luca take the credits from Kuna’s share and they pay for the procedure.

    Medical Droid: Medicine (Cybernetic surgery): 6/6: Success

    The surgery is successful, and Kuna finishes the recovery in the hospital. The medical droid did an excellent job.


    Now, the three companions, sit in the hall of the Dragonfly, with the remaining artifact lying on the desk in the front. It’s a small cube with weird markings all over it.

    “I’ll give you my remaining share, and I’ll get to keep it.” Kuna says.

    Luca: Value: 0-/3: Failure

    “It’s a deal. Take that alien trinket, and we keep the 6k.” Luca agrees.

    Roy isn’t sure if that’s the best deal, but seeing how Luca agreed so quickly he dares not interfere. Kuna wanted the darn thing in the first place, so maybe it’s for the best, he thinks.

    Kuna lets of a smile, picks the artifact, puts it in his pocket, and gets off the Dragonfly, his steps on metal echoing in the docking bay.

    As Kuna leaves, Luca puts his hand on Roy’s shoulder. “Smile boy, that’s one less weight on our shoulders. There was something evil about that box, that I don’t want to find out.”

    He then opens his arms, showing the Dragonfly. “We have a new toy and as many credits as we had before we went to that forsaken moon. Where would you like to go next? We’re free to go anywhere.”

    “Let’s go to the canteen.” Roy replies. “I heard that’s the place to go if you’re looking for an adventure!”.

    They share a laugh, and then head of for the so much deserved R&R.

    Rewards: Roy: 1 CP, Luca: 3 CP.

    Session Background: This adventure came to an end. I had more ideas in mind on how the Amalsi story would play out, but the Oracle and bad social skill rolls, gave it this short spin.

    The player side of the story wanted to survive, so when the Amalsi side didn’t seem to be a safe bet no more, I headed to safety.

    In the end I have excellent plot hooks for the next adventures of Roy and Luca, and a very interesting new ancient starship.

    Next, I intend to write down a summary on the entire adventure and how it played out.

     
  • giorgis 1:30 pm on September 8, 2019 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: , , , ,   

    Solo StarWarsD6 pt19: Dragonfly 

    System: Star Wars D6 by West End Games.
    Setting: Star Wars Era of the Rebellion.
    Character: Royxand Handscul ‘Roy’, Corporate scout
    Luca Delste, Smuggler
    Kuna Desyk, Hacker
    Solo Tools: MUNE, donjon, GameMaster’s Apprentice deck of cards from beta Alone release bundle
    Books: Star Wars The Roleplaying Game Second Edition (West End Games), Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts, Tales of the Jedi Companion.
    Homebrew Rules: D6Legends


    In this session, I’m using a homebrew rules system to streamline the difficulty rolls. I explain everything in detail in my blog here.


    Q: Does Luca find anything worthwhile in the engine room?
    A: No
    Q: Does Roy/Kuna find anything worthwhile going in the cockpit?
    A: No

    Luca reaches the engine room and tries to start up the drive.

    Luca: Space Transports: 2/2: Success

    Luca, somehow feels a familiarity with the ship design, and manages to get the power running in the engine room.

    Q: Does anything unexpected happen?
    A: No

    Roy and Kuna have reached the cockpit room. As Luca powers up the engine, they see some lights turn on in the control panel. The emergency life support lights are now on, as well. Roy checks the ship’s controls.

    Q: Is there any layer of security?
    A: No

    Roy has full access to the ship’s controls. First he powers up life support. Then, he runs diagnostics, to see the state of the starship.

    Here I decided to roll 2D for each of the following systems. A roll of 7 is considered average (worn) condition. A roll of 2 is inoperational and a roll of 12 means the system is as good as new. I chose the 2D, to have that slight increased chance to get an average result, and not be a completely random result. Any result below 7 means that the system is in need of repairs.
    Life Support: 5
    Power: 4
    Engines: 4
    Thrusters: 4
    Lasers: 8
    Torpedoes: 12
    Pulse Cannon: 7
    Missiles: 8
    Hyperdrive: 4
    Hyperdrive Backup: 8
    Sensors: 5
    Comms: 7
    Shields: 2
    Supplies: 8
    Now I consult the rulebook for starship repairs, and I choose based on the results the following:
    The power/engines/thrusters system as a whole will need 6 repair successes.
    The hyperdrive system will need 3 successes.
    The sensors system will need 2 successes.
    The shields are completely unoperational and will need 12 successes.

    As the ship diagnostic chart pulls up in the screen full of red sections, Roy turns to Kuna. “This ship is in sorry state. We will need to conduct repairs if we are to fly out of here. At least-” he pauses as he removes the breath mask. “We can breathe, and there is enough fuel for at least 2 weeks.”

    Luca enters the cockpit smiling. “Least she’s in one piece, right?” He looks at the diagnostics report. “We can, and we will make her fly. I estimate a few hours for engines, hyperdrive and sensors. The shields are completely blown and will need at least a couple of days in the least. I don’t know if it’s worth it.”
    “We’ll need that time to forage for food and water. I doubt there is anything here that isn’t spoiled.” Roy raises his point.
    “Alright. I will perform the repairs, Kuna, will you get to searching the ship?” Kuna nods. “And you boy, get us something edible. Be careful out there, you’ll be on your own. We start tomorrow. Rest now.”

    The trio gets in the passenger living quarters. The ship is made for housing 6 passengers in addition to the crew, so they are quite comfortable, and feel safe for the first time in a long while.

    Every night I will be rolling to check if anything unexpected happens in the next 24 hours. If not, I will proceed to checking the day actions, splitting it in 3 sections.

    Night.
    Q: Does anything unexpected happen?
    A: No

    Morning.
    Luca: Space Transports Repair: 1 success.

    Luca has found the ship’s repair toolkit and starts working on repairs.

    Kuna connects to the ship computer to see if he can uncover any information.
    Kuna: Computers: 5+

    Connecting to the computer with his datapad, Kuna uncovers the following information:
    The ship’s name is the Dragonfly
    The owner’s name was Khan Cyore
    Manifest shows dry packs, medpacs, exploration gear.
    Last time ship was operation according to log, was 4000 years ago.

    Roy foraging.
    I will run the foraging, in the following manner: A successful Easy sneak roll means Roy is undetected. Otherwise, I will ask the Oracle if there is an encounter.
    For each search success I will be drawing an item from a GMA card. If the result is plausible or useful to the character, he will keep it, otherwise, the chance is lost.
    Each success in survival, rations for 1 day for one person will be found.
    Sneak: 0-/2
    Search: 2: Amulet, torch
    Survival: 3
    Q: Is Roy ambushed?
    A: Yes, but he will have a chance to escape, there is only one foe
    Q: Is it a Hssiss?
    A: Yes, and it’s a big one (+1D Strength)

    On his scout run, Roy searches through the Amalsi buildings. Edible fungi and insects are everywhere, and he starts gathering them, having noticed the Amalsi diet.
    As he is in a house, leaning over a chest where he found a torch and a silver amulet, he notices a big reptile behind him.

    Initiative:
    Roy: 14
    Hssiss: 5
    Q: Does Roy have his blaster pistol at hand? (Likely)
    A: Yes
    Q: Distance (point blank/short)
    A: Short

    Round 1:
    Roy shoots the Hssiss twice
    Roy: Shoot: 2+/2: Hit: 4+/5+: No damage, 2+/2: Hit: 1/0: Wounded
    Hssiss: Brawling: 5++/1: Hit: 2/3: No damage

    Round 2:
    Roy shoots the Hssiss twice
    Roy: Shoot: 2/1: Hit: 2/2: Stunned, 1-/1: Hit: 1/2: No damage
    Hssiss: Brawling: 1-/1: Hit, Complication!: 2+/3: No damage
    I decide that the complication is that it got its foot stuck in the chest and needs a Moderate Strength roll to remove it or suffer -1D in actions.

    Round 3:
    Roy shoots the Hssiss twice
    Roy: Shoot: 2/1: Hit: 4/2+: Incapacitated

    The creature is larger than the rest of his kind that the team had met. Roy, blaster in hand blasts off the beast and wounds it. It slashes wildly and only barely scratches Roy’s armor. Roy shoots again, dazing it, and it misses him as it lashes back, getting its paw stuck in the wooden chest Roy had opened. With the beast unbalanced, Roy manages to wound it once more, and it falls to the floor. Roy finishes it off and breathes a sigh of relief.

    Noon.
    Luca: Repairs: 2 Successes. Sensors are fixed. Work on the drives begins.

    Kuna: Searches the ship to see if he will find anything of interest.
    Kuna: Search: 2 Successes: He finds the items described in the manifest in the cargo hold, and the captain’s room, which is locked.

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 3/2: Success
    Search: 4+: Prybar
    Survival: 2

    Evening.
    Luca: Repairs: 2 Successes
    Kuna: assists in Repairs: 3 Successes: The engines are fixed!

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 3/2: Success
    Search: 4: Bow and arrows.
    Survival: 3

    The day comes to an end, and Roy returns to the Dragonfly. He has brought back a silver amulet, a prybar, a torch, a bow and arrows, and 8 days worth of rations.
    Luca and Kuna have fixed the sensors and power drives, and searched the ship. The captain’s quarters are locked.
    They exchange news and decided that the next day, while Roy continues foraging and Luca conducts repairs, Kuna will attempt to break in the captain’s cabin.

    Night.
    Q: Does anything unexpected happen?
    A: No

    Morning.
    Luca: Repairs: 2 Successes: Hyperdrive almost fixed.

    In the morning, Luca continues with repairs.

    Kuna attempts to hack open the door: 1-: Fail, Complication!.
    I decided that the door is trapped.
    Trap: Damage: 3/2: Wounded (-1D)

    Kuna goes to open the captain’s cabin, but as he tries to hack the door open, a surge of electricity passes through. The door is trapped!

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 3/2: Success
    Search: 4: Amulet, Rope and spikes.
    Survival: 3

    Noon.
    Luca: Repairs: 0 Successes

    Kuna heads to the medbay to perform first aid.
    Kuna: First Aid: 4/2: Healed.

    With Luca otherwise occupied on performing repairs, Kuna goes on his own to the medbay, to heal the electricty burns. Thankfully, their medpacs along with bandages stored in the ship, help alleviate the damage done.

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 2/2
    Search: 4++: Diamond jewelry, torch.
    Survival: 2

    Evening.
    Luca: Repairs: 1 Success, Complication!
    I decide that the main hyperdrive is irrepairable, but the backup one is working.

    Kuna will attempt to disarm the trap.
    Kuna: Disarm: 3/3: Success
    Kuna: Security on door: 2/3: Failure

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 2/2
    Search: 4+: Leather gloves, sword
    Survival: 4

    At the end of the second day, they again meet to share what happened through the day. Roy has brought an amulet, a diamond ring, another torch, some rope and spikes, leather gloves, a sword, and 9 days worth of rations.
    Kuna has disarmed the security measures that trapped the captain cabin’s door, but hasn’t managed to open it yet.
    Luca saw, that the hyperdrive after all wasn’t repairable and one day was lost trying to make it work.

    Night.
    Q: Does anything unexpected happen?
    A: No

    Morning.
    Luca: Repairs: 2 Successes
    Kuna: Security on door: 1-/3: Failure

    Roy foraging.
    Sneak: 4+/2
    Search: 5+: Golden amulet
    Survival: 0-. Complication!: The breath mask filters are destroyed. He must return to the ship for the next period or suffer -1D to all actions due to the unbearable atmosphere.

    While Roy is scouting, he notices that the air he breathes feels irritating. Checking the mask filters, he notices a big hole. Some insect that he gathered for food opened it. He has to be more careful next time.

    Noon.
    Luca: Repairs: 6++++ Successes

    Kuna: Security on door: 3+/3: Unlocked!
    Inside he finds some personal items.
    Q: Are there any Sith holocrons?
    A: Yes, but only one.
    Q: Are there any other Sith artifacts?
    A: Yes, and it’s a shield shield (2D).

    After many failed attempts, Kuna manages to get the door to the captain’s cabin open. Dark colors are the choice everywhere. On a desk, he finds a weird talisman, and a strange artifact with some unknown markings. He picks them up to show to his teammates.

    Roy returns to the Dragonfly to change breath mask filters.

    Evening.
    Luca: Repairs: 3 Successes. Shields are almost entirely fixed.
    Kuna: Tries to gain some knowledge about the artifacts: 2/4: Failure

    Roy Foraging.
    Sneak: 1
    Search: 2: Silver amulet, Club.
    Survival: 4
    Here, I failed to ask if Roy has had any encounters.

    At the end of the third day, Luca has managed to get the shields operating at full potential, Kuna found two interesting items in the captain’s quarters, but he can’t figure out anything about them, and Roy recovered two amulets, a club, and 4 days worth of rations for a total of 21 rations.

    Night.
    Q: Does anything unexpected happen?
    A: No

    In the morning, they decide that it’s high time they left. Luca mans the cockpit, while Roy sits in the gunner’s spot.
    The Dragonfly’s engines power up, the shields are activated, and the remaining ice on top of the hull pops away as if it was a bubble. She starts hovering, the retractable wings are extended and then flies upward.
    “Boy, launch a concussion sphere to the icy rooftop. I will have the shields ready. Brace for impact!” Says Luca, not hiding his joy for being in the pilot’s seat again.

    Q: What is the strength of the ice ceiling?
    A: Moderate
    Roy: Shoot Concussion Sphere: 4/1: Hit: 7/3: Destroyed.

    The concussion sphere pierces through the frozen ceiling, creating an opening.

    Q: Does the ceiling collapse entirely?
    A: No, but there is a big hole large enough for the Dragonfly to pass through, and there is a chunk of ice falling towards the Dragonfly.
    Luca: Space Transports Piloting: 5/3: Success

    As the hole opens, a huge chunk of ice falls towards the Dragonfly, Luca, having expected it, carefully avoids it, and brings her out of the cave and into the atmosphere.

    They run a sensors scan.
    Luca: Sensors: 4 Successes
    Q: Are there other ships in the area?
    A: Yes
    Q: Is the Imperial Lone Scout A?
    A: Yes
    Q: Is it actively scanning?
    A: Yes, but not towards the Dragonfly, their focus is elsewhere.
    Nevertheless, I will roll some passive scanning to see if they detect the Dragonfly by chance.
    Imperial Scout: Sensors: 3/3: Success: They detect a ship (not identify).

    “There’s an Imperial Lone Scout A. He’s scanning us!” Luca says over the comms.
    “Blast the bastard!” Roy eagerly replies.

    I roll 6D for the range, with wild die: 22 units.
    Initiative:
    Dragonfly: 10
    Lone Scout: 21

    Round 1:
    The Imperials will need to scan first to evaluate the threat. Just in case, they also raise front shields.
    Shield: 2/2: Success
    Sensors: 2/3: Fail

    Luca: 1 Move toward the Lone Scout, raise front Shields: 0/2: Fail
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannons: 2/3: Miss

    As the Imperial Lone Scout scans the Dragonfly, Roy shoots the three fire-linked laser cannons, but misses by a little.

    Round 2:
    Seeing that they are fired upon, they realize the hostile intentions, the Imperial pilot responds in kind and shoots again.
    Imperial: Shoots Laser Cannon: 2/3: Miss, Complication! Lasers are overheated due to a power surge failure, the must cool down for 1D=5 rounds.
    Imperial: Scan: 3/3: Success, Complication! The overheated laser sends a power surge to the comm & sensors system, disabling them as well for 1D=6 rounds. They identify the ship though and realize the danger.

    Luca: 2 Moves toward the Lone Scout, Range is now 10
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 5/4: Hit: 2/3: No Damage
    Laser Cannon: 1/3: Miss

    The Dragonfly closes in. Roy hits the Imperial Lone Scout with the Pulse-wave Cannon, but the shields deflect the hit. He misses again with the Laser Cannon.

    Round 3:
    Realizing the danger, the Imperial Lone Scout will perform a full dodge
    Luca: 1 Move toward the Lone Scout, Range: 6
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannons: 4/7: Miss

    The Imperial Lone Scout, is now so close to the Dragonfly that it can’t escape, and begins full evasive maneuvers. Despite the advance fire-controls for such an ancient ship, Roy can’t get a clear shot.

    Round 4:
    Lone Scout: Full dodge
    Luca: 1 Move toward the Lone Scout, Range: 2
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 3/5: Miss
    Laser Cannon: 3/5: Miss

    Round 5:
    Lone Scout: Full dodge
    Luca: Keeps the Lone Scout in the front arc
    Roy will spend 2 CPs on the Pulse cannon, and shoot the laser as well.
    Pulse Cannon: 4/5: Miss
    Laser Cannon: 2/5: Miss

    Round 6:
    Q: Now that the lasers are back online does the scout attack?
    A: No, he does a full dodge
    Luca: Keeps the Lone Scout in the front arc
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 4/5: Miss
    Laser Cannon: 3/5: Miss

    Round 7:
    Q: Now that the scout has comms online, does he try to contact for assistance?
    A: No, he performs another full dodge
    Luca: Keeps the Lone Scout in the front arc
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 5/6: Miss
    Laser Cannon: 3/6: Miss

    Round 8:
    Q: Seeing that there is no escape, does he try to contact for assistance?
    A: Yes, he will switch to comms
    Lone Scout: Communications: 3/3: Success.
    Roy notices that they have stopped dodging and shoots.
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 3/2: Hit:2-/1: Lightly Damaged, -1 Move.
    Laser Cannon: 1-/2: Miss.

    For about half a minute, Roy shoots repeatedly with all the Dragonfly’s energy weapons, but the Imperial Lone Scout pilot, makes his efforts fail.
    Suddenly, something seems to distract the Imperial pilot, and Roy gets a shot with the Pulse-wave Cannon, hitting the engines.

    Round 9:
    Q: Does the Lone Scout attack?
    A: Yes.
    Lone Scout: 1/2 Move & Shoot: 1/2: Miss.
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 1/2: Miss
    Laser Cannon: 3/2: Hit: 6/4: Heavily Damaged, -2 Moves.

    In a quick change of plans, the Lone Scout turns, and shoots at the Dragonfly, but misses. Roy shoots back, and the Three fire-linked Laser Cannons hit the engines, almost disabling them.

    Round 10:
    Since I am having trouble figuring out if the scout will try to escape, dodge, or attack, I will use the GMA to get a reaction. I get a 9! Almost fanatical hatred. They will fight to the end.
    Lone Scout: Shoot Laser Cannon: 1/2: Miss.
    Roy: Shoots the Laser Cannon and the Pulse Cannon
    Pulse Cannon: 3+/2: Hit: 2/5: No Damage.
    Laser Cannon: 2/2: Hit: 5/2: Destroyed.

    They say stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The Imperial Lone Scout pilot shoots again, misses, and now he’s at the crosshairs of the Dragonfly’s full weaponry.
    Roy sees the targeting reticule light up, and shoots. The Pulse-wave can’t get past the shields, but the fire-linked laser trio blasts through the scout ship, obliterating it. It goes up in a huge ball of flame.

    Kuna joins them and the trio looks at each other.
    “What do we do now?” Roy asks.
    “We get the hell out of here!” Kuna replies. “I’m certain they notified the base, and who knows what will come our way. We better jump system before it starts crawling with Imperial Navy forces.”
    “Did we get what we came for?” Luca questions.
    “I have some codes to crack.” Kuna replies referring to the unknown items that were found in the captain’s cabin. “Plus some jewelry that Roy gathered, that I’m sure will catch a hefty price in the black market. You have a ship. She’s not the Red Rancor, but she may be better with some modern upgrades…”
    “What about the Amalsi?” Roy asks. “Will we leave them to their fate? If the Empire digs that moon any further they may all die.”
    “They would have sold our hides to the Empire!” Kuna objects. “Or did you forget?”
    “Yes, but I can’t but feel responsible. If I had completed my mission in time, it would be Karflo here, and not the Empire. Plus, they did save our lives from the remains of the Red Rancor.” Roy counters.

    Q: Does Luca agree with Roy? (Likely, since he has a sense of honour)
    A: Yes,and he will side with him even if Kuna won’t follow through.
    This also results in an Intervention which I will call for after the dialogue finishes.

    “The boy has his heart in the right place Kuna.” Luca sides with Roy. “What do you say? are you in to keep going?”

    Roy: Persuasion: 1/2: Failure

    Kuna shakes his head. “I don’t agree. I’ll tag along, but as soon as we return to civilized space, we split our share and I’ll head my own way.”

    Roy and Luca nod in an uneasy silence.

    Intervention: Entity Negative
    Q: Is it the Amalsi?
    A: No
    Q: Is it the Imperials?
    A: No
    Q: Is it Kuna?
    A: No
    GMA Portent: Join Locals, Sacreligious
    I have no clue. I decide to pause here to clear my head and grant CPs before proceeding with fresh inspiration.
    Roy: 5 CPs, Luca: 2 CPs, Kuna: 2 CPs.

    Session Background: The group is back at full strength but their objectives are not aligned. Also it begs the question how will they help the Amalsi? Even if they defeat the Empire in Amal, how will they prevent them from coming back? How will the Amalsi greet the characters?
    Just as I was ready to create a character sheet with background for Kuna, he will split from the party.
    What I Liked: The progressive actions (repairs) with the successes mechanic. It worked flawlessly.
    What Needs Changing: Again, the combat needs some refreshing. It’s I hit, you hit, and with Full Dodge hitting is almost impossible. I will think it over.

     
  • giorgis 11:11 am on September 6, 2019 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: , , , ,   

    Solo StarWarsD6 pt18: There Are Dragons 

    System: Star Wars D6 by West End Games.
    Setting: Star Wars Era of the Rebellion.
    Character: Royxand Handscul ‘Roy’, Corporate scout
    Luca Delste, Smuggler
    Kuna Desyk, Hacker
    Solo Tools: MUNE, donjon, GameMaster’s Apprentice deck of cards from beta Alone release bundle
    Books: Star Wars The Roleplaying Game Second Edition (West End Games), Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts, Tales of the Jedi Companion.
    Homebrew Rules: D6Legends


    In this session, I’m using a homebrew rules system to streamline the difficulty rolls. I explain everything in detail in my blog here.
    You can view all my previous and the current posts in this subreddit and in my blog Solo, Pen, Paper and Dice.


    Initiative:
    Team: 4.
    Hssiss: 11.

    Round 1:
    The Hssiss on top of the bookcase jumps on top of Luca and attacks.
    H1: Brawling: 0/1: Miss
    The Hssiss that blocks the doorway snaps at Luca as well.
    H2: Brawling: 3+/1: Hit: 0/2: No Damage

    Startled, Luca draws (-1D) his DL-44 and shoots at the second Hssiss.
    Luca: Shoot H2: 2/1: Hit: 4/2: Incapacitated
    Roy pulls his DL-18 and shoots at the remaining Hssiss.
    Roy: Shoot H1: 3+/1: Hit: 3/2: Wounded
    Kuna pulls his DL-18 and shoots at it as well.
    Kuna: Shoot H1: 1/1: Hit: 3/0: Mortally Wounded.

    The reptile on top of the bookcase leaps down, aiming for Luca, but it fails to find him and lands next to him instead. In a coordinated pack tactic action, the other beast snaps at Luca and catches his leg with its forearm, only cutting through the pants , failing to find any flesh.
    Luca quickly pulls his heavy blaster pistol and shoots it point-blank, hitting it and incapacitating the beast. Roy and Kuna draw their guns as well and kill the other reptile.

    “What are those beasts?!” Luca shouts.
    “Probably the dragons that we read about!” Answers Roy.
    “They seem hungry” Kuna fills in. “You mentioned something about a starship of sorts? Sounds like our way out here.”
    “We’ll have to search for it. Let’s hope we won’t become lunch.” Roy agrees.

    Q: Are there more Hssiss visible?
    A: Yes

    As they gather up, looking around, they see movement dancing in the shadows. ‘More of those creatures.’ Roy thinks. ‘They are biding their time and not closing in.’
    Luca catches Roy staring at the shadows. “I know, boy. They must be smarter than they seem. They ain’t Zhorwil. They don’t attack now that they saw what happened to their brethren, but surely they will when they find us weak or at a disadvantage.”

    Q: Do they have any scanner that would assist in locating the starship?
    A: No, but they have night binoculars that will give a +1D bonus.
    Roy: Search: 3+/3: Success
    Q: Are they ambushed on their way?
    A: Yes, and their path leads to a dead end and they have to fight their way out.

    From the upper floor of the building, they scan through the windows using Roy’s night binoculars. In the distance Roy notices a weird frozen block that doesn’t seem to be a building. It must be the starship he thinks. Then, they go ahead and plot their course, using what they see from the top view as a guide, and head on.
    Not every detail is visible though, and as they pass under a bridge, they see that the road ahead is blocked by a collapsed building. They see no way through and must turn back to choose another way.

    Kuna nudges Roy and shows him what the reptiles were planning all along. A large number has surrounded them and they make that awful sound with their lungs. Hssiss…

    Q: How many are there? (1D:+4)
    A: 10
    I will split them in groups of 1D, starting from short distance.
    Group 1: 1D: 4 Hssiss, 7 meters distance
    Group 2: 1D: 1 Hssiss, 20 meters distance
    Group 3: 1D: 5 Hssiss, 40 meters distance
    To make things a bit balanced, I decide that the 3rd group is atop the bridge and start descending from the rubble, that will take an Easy Climbing roll each round.
    Since its an Ambush, I roll to see if the team is surprised prior to rolling initiative.
    Hssiss: Ambush: 1/3: Failure: The team rolls initiative normally.

    Initiative:
    Team: 11
    Hssiss: 10

    Round 1:
    Roy shoots at Group1: 2-/2: Hit (Complication): Damage: 1-/3: No damage. Blaster jammed. Roy can’t shoot again unless he successfully does an Easy Technical repair roll.
    Luca shoots at Group1 twice (-1D): 3/2: Hit: 1-/3+: No damage, 1-/2: Miss.
    Kuna shoots at Group1 twice (-1D): 2/2: Hit: 3/3: Stunned, 2/2: Hit: 3/0-: Mortally Wounded.

    The three remaining Hssiss of Group1 will make a move and attack each of the team members separately.
    1st: Brawling (Roy): 0-/1: Miss (Complication) It charges, fails to meet Roy and falls into a pit of rubble, and must make an Easy Climbing roll to get out.
    2nd: Brawling (Luca): 1/1: Hit: 1/1: Stunned (-1D).
    3rd: Brawling (Kuna): 3/1: Hit: 2/2: Stunned (-1D).
    The Group 2 closes in at 4 meters.
    Group 3 starts climbing down. I won’t go into details. An additional rule I set to describe the failed movement roll results, is that a slight loss of control also means that only half the move was performed, while a serious loss of control means that they didn’t manage to move any closer at all. I will just write down their distances after their rolls.
    1: 36m, 2: 32m, 3: 32m, 4: 32m, 5: 32m.

    This time the team has their blasters at the ready. They were expecting trouble.
    Roy counts the beasts and sees a handful emerging from the rubble around them and another handful atop the bridge, starting to climb down the debris.
    He shoots at the closest ones. Hit it, but it doesn’t break a sweat. In addition the connector to his blaster clip has dislodged. He needs to fix it before he can fire again.
    Luca shoots but misses, but Kuna downs one of the beasts in two repeated shots.
    The beasts snap at them. Luca and Kuna are hit and are stunned a bit by the force of their blows, but they manage to stay standing. The dragon that attacked Roy lunges at him, but fails by far to reach him, landing in a big hole instead.
    The rest of the creatures slowly close in.

    Round 2:
    Roy: Blaster repair: 1/2: Fail
    Luca shoots at Group1: 1-/1: Hit: 4+/3: Wounded
    Kuna shoots at the same Hssiss: 3/1: Hit: 4/1: Mortally Wounded

    The Hssiss that has to climb out: Climbing: 2/2: Success: It gets out
    The other one from Group1 attacks Kuna who spends 1 CP to soak damage: Brawling: 1-/1: Hit: 2/3: No damage
    Group 2 attacks Kuna: Brawling: 1-/1: Hit: 1/2: No damage
    Group 3: 1: 28m, 32m, 28m, 24m, 28m

    Roy starts trying to unjam his blaster pistol, while Luca and Kuna kill another of the reptiles. The beast that missed Roy is back on its feet, and another one attacks Kuna, who quickly puts his boot in the beast’s mouth, preventing it from finding flesh.
    The reptiles at the top continue their slow descent. Several pebbles and gravel falling down, as their step is less than ideal.

    Round 3:
    Roy: Blaster repair: 0/2: Fail
    Luca shoots twice at Group 1: 1-/1: Hit: 3/4: No damage, 3/1: Hit: 5+/0: Dead
    Kuna shoots twice at Group 1: 3+/1: Hit: 3/0: Mortally Wounded
    I decide to allow switching targets after declaration, at a further -1D
    Kuna shoots at Group 2: 1/1: Hit: 5/2: Mortally Wounded
    Group 3: 1: 20m, 2: 32m, 3: 20m, 4: 24m, 5: 24m

    Roy continues trying to fix his pistol, while his companions make short work of the beasts surrounding them. Luca kills one with a blaster shot to the head and Kuna puts two more out of the action.
    Some of the descending reptiles are closer and some others are lagging behind.

    Round 4:
    Roy: Blaster Repair: 2/2: Success
    Luca shoots the nearest Hssiss: 3/3: Hit: 3/3: Stunned.
    Kuna shoots the same Hssiss: 3/3: Hit: 1/0: Wounded.
    Group 3: 1: 16m, 2: 28m, 3: 12m, 4: 20m, 5: 16m.

    Roy finally gets his blaster working, as Luca and Kuna off one more descending reptile with their combined shots.

    Round 5:
    Roy shoots the nearest Hssiss: 2/3: Miss.
    Luca shoots the same: 5/3: Hit: 4/2: Incapacitated.
    Kuna shoots the next nearest Hssiss: 1/3: Miss.
    Group 3: 2: 20m, 12m, 12m, 8m.

    As the beasts have a difficulty getting down the steep slope, the team takes this opportunity to pick them off one by one. Another one falls under blaster fire. Nevertheless, one dragon had managed to descend and is about to charge them.

    Round 6:
    Roy shoots the nearest Hssiss: 4+/2: Hit: 3+/3: Stunned.
    Luca shoots the same: 1/2: Miss.
    Kuna shoots the same: 2/2: Hit: 4+/1: Mortally Wounded.
    Group 3: 2: 12m, 3: 12m, 4: 12m.

    The team concentrates their fire on the beast that is about to charge them, and kill it before it has a chance.
    The three last have trouble descending. They look around to see if they can retreat, but they are stuck between rubble. The hunter has become the prey.

    Round 7:
    Roy shoots: 1/2: Miss.
    Luca shoots: 2/3: Miss.
    Kuna shoots: 1/2: Miss.
    Group 3: 2: 4m, 3: 8m, 4: 8m.

    Despite their efforts, they don’t manage to hit any of the beasts, and with a quick leap, they are finally down to ground level.

    Round 8:
    Roy 1/2 Move & Shoot nearest Hssiss: 4/1: Hit: 3/0: Mortally Wounded.
    Luca 1/2 Move & Shoot Hssiss twice: 3+/2: Hit: 3-/1: Incapacitated. Switch (-1D): 2/3: Miss.
    Kuna: 1/2 Move & Shoot Hssiss twice: 1/2: Miss, 1/2: Miss (Complication): Empty Clip.
    Hssiss Move and attack (Who?=Roy): 3+/1: Hit: 0/1: No damage.

    Roy and Luca pick off two of the beasts, while Kuna ends up with an empty clip. He has to reload.
    One dragon, furious charges at Roy, snaps at his hand, but the scout armor protects Roy from the physical attack.

    Round 9:
    Roy shoots Hssiss twice: 2/1: Hit: 3/2: Wounded, 3/1: Hit: 1/3: No damage.
    Luca shoots Hssiss twice: 2/1: Hit: 1/0: Incapacitated.

    Roy and Luca burst off blasts to the last reptile and it falls under concentrated fire.
    The team pauses to recollect themselves. Some beasts are still breathing. They mercy kill them one by one.

    They climb atop of the bridge and with a clear view through binoculars they plan a new route.

    A while later they reach their objective.
    A starship is evident frozen partially under ice.
    It looks to be an ancient design, but more advanced than the first starships of some backwater worlds.
    They stand a while and look in awe.
    “Let’s find a way in, shall we?” Luca says and they try to find the airlock door.

    Q: Is the door reachable?
    A: No, and it’s covered by ice and will require unlocking.

    Here I will roll for one of three starship designs operated by 1-2 crew from Tales of the Jedi Companion.
    Roll: Vaya-class Scout Ship/Coruscant-class Heavy Courier/Delaya-class Courier Ship
    A: It’s the Coruscant-class Heavy Courier

    They locate the airlock on the top side, but its under a thick layer of ice. They will need to remove it.

    Q: Do they have detonite?
    A: No and no other explosives
    Q: Do they have picks?
    A: Yes, but not the vibro-tool design. They are the manual ones.

    Roy removes three picks from the backpack and hands one over to Luca and one to Kuna. “Let’s get to it.” he says and starts hacking at the ice.

    Q: How long? (1: not much, 6: a lot)
    A: A lot
    Intervention: Entity negative (Who?: Roy)
    I draw two cards from GMA for a portent, and get: Regenerate stockpile.
    I interpret it that something happens to Roy that will make their work undone, and will need to be redone.

    It has taken them a few hours of hard work to get to the airlock door. Roy is on top of the opening, when the unremoved ice block next to him cracks and collapses on top of him, covering him and the door.
    The team must get him out before he suffocates!

    Here I call for some rules. Roy will need to make a increased difficult Stamina roll each round, starting from Easy. Each failure, will give him a wound level, that is not an actual wound (i.e. he will not remain wounded), but if he reaches Dead, he dies!
    In order to remove the ice there will be needed 1D: 3 successful Moderate Strength rolls.

    Round 1:
    Roy: 3+/1: Success
    Luca: 3/3: Success
    Kuna: 2/3: Fail

    Round 2:
    Roy: 1/2: Fail, he passes out and is stunned
    Luca: 3/3: Success
    Kuna: 0/3: Fail

    Round 3:
    Roy: 2/3: Fail, wounded
    Luca: 1/3: Fail
    Kuna: 2/3: Fail

    Round 4:
    Roy: 3/4: Fail, incapacitated
    Luca: 2/3: Fail
    Kuna: 2/3: Fail

    Round 5:
    Roy: 3/5: Fail, mortally wounded
    Luca spends 2 CPs to ensure success: 3/3: Success

    Roy starts losing his breath, but pushing themselves harder, they manage to get him out in time. He was starting to become blue from lack of oxygen.
    He hugs them both. “Thank you, you saved my life.”
    “Don’t mention it boy.” Luca waves away the notion of a favor.

    Q: How much more time is needed to clear the airlock again?
    A: Very short time

    Since the ice that collapsed is in smaller pieces, it’s easy to remove it from the airlock. The door is finally accessible.
    Kuna notices the controls, and brings out his datapad to start hacking.

    Kuna: Computer Programming/Repair: 6/3: Success

    “The ship is really old. It has a security layer on the door, but it’s hacked. We can open it.” Kuna says a few minutes later.
    Roy and Luca look at the door. It’s still closed.
    “There is no power! Do I have to explain that as well? We need to manually pry it open now that its unlocked.” Kuna exclaims. He opens a small panel to the side, and turns a knob connected to a cog wheel. A sound is heard, and the door has fist sized opening.
    Roy and Luca start pulling the door to the side until it’s open ajar.

    There is total darkness inside. Nothing is running. No systems powered. Complete silence.
    A chill runs down their spines, and it’s not because of the frozen Amal moon.
    “All systems are dead.” Luca says, closing the door behind them. “Before we get any power to the cockpit, I will need to power up the generator manually. I will head over to find it, while you head to the cockpit, so that we can get everything running smoothly.
    They each take a glowrod, and spread in the ship.

    Session Background: I was concerned at first about those Hssiss. But I read in the rancor pit fora that there are two versions lying around. And the RAW, original that I have is weak. Therefore, a group of should be a challenge. I am glad to see that the team made sort work of them.
    Not much to be told about the session here, only in retrospect I would have made the effort to pull out Roy work in a progressive manner. Instead of 1D moderate rolls, I would have made it like 1D*5 Successes. Luca and Kuna were working on removing Roy from the ice, it makes no sense to make no progress. Just small progress or large progress.
    I am working on a Funds & Resources homebrew rule, but I’m not certain I want to use it yet.
    Combat is the next part that I want tackle, to make it a bit more interesting. I got tired of having to run 13 entities, so I didn’t bother changing AI or interpreting the Wild Die results differently based on the +/- that I noted down. It seems that I will have to write down some homebrew rules *before* running a combat, so that my mind is clear.
    Now we’ll have to see the secrets of the starship, if it’s their way out of there and if they will leave the Amalsi to their Imperial fate…

     
  • giorgis 5:15 pm on September 1, 2019 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: , , , ,   

    Solo StarWarsD6 pt17: History Revealed 

    System: Star Wars D6 by West End Games.
    Setting: Star Wars Era of the Rebellion.
    Character: Royxand Handscul ‘Roy’, Corporate scout
    Luca Delste, Smuggler
    Kuna Desyk, Hacker
    Solo Tools: MUNE, donjon, GameMaster’s Apprentice deck of cards from beta Alone release bundle
    Books: Star Wars The Roleplaying Game Second Edition (West End Games), Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts, Tales of the Jedi Companion, OpenD6 Fantasy
    Homebrew Rules: D6Legends


    Continuing from the last session, I ask.
    Q: Are there other Amalsi around?
    A: No, and the cell guard is about to leave for cell rounds.
    Roy: Pickpocket (Dexterity,Opposed): 3/2: Target will notice item missing next round.

    Roy will attempt to unlock the door and put back the key before the guard realizes its gone. I decide that’s a moderate Dexterity roll. Roy is wounded and he will spend 2 CPs to ensure success.
    Roy: Dexterity: 3(-)/3: Success

    Roy swiftly picks the keys from the guard, unlocks the door silently and puts the keys back before the Amalsi realizes they’re gone. Unfortunately, as he puts them back, he stumbles and pushes him. The guard turns and looks at him inquisitively.
    “Sorry, water. Thirsty.” Roy says quickly.

    Roy: Con (Opposed): 3/1: Success

    The guard grunts and kicks a bowl of water from under the bars before returning to his post.

    Like clockwork, Roy notices that the guards begin their rounds as they did every night before. A second guard comes and together they leave. Now is Roy’s chance!

    Roy: Sneak: 4(+++)/ Success!
    Wow three 6s in a row on the Wild Die.
    I decide that Roy will move silently like a cat and no one will notice as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid.

    Roy moves silently around the corners, avoiding the guards as he has learned their route by heart. He left behind in his cell a decoy made of blankets, so that no one will notice he is missing. Then he turns his attention to find out where his companions are being held.

    Roy: Search: 4(++)/2: Success
    Another double 6s on the Wild Die!
    He will manage to find his mates and something extra.

    Roy locates the cells of his friends. As he expected they are nearby. He also notices a stash of their belongings. It’s their gear that they had when the Amalsi captured them, and whatever was salvaged from the Red Rancor.

    Q: Is it guarded?
    A: Yes, and it’s two guards who are interested in the items.
    Now I (as a player! and not a GM) had an idea. Roy needs a distraction. He also had noticed their aversion to fire. So I will try to light a fire.
    Q: Is there any flammable material nearby? (Likely since it’s a feudal society)
    A: No, but they have their blankets in the cells.
    Q: Does Roy have a lighter on him? (Likely)
    A: No

    Roy heads over to Lucas cell.
    “Hey.” He whispers.
    “Boy am I happy to see you! Quick, get me out of here.” Luca whispers back.
    “It’s locked. I’ll have to distract them. I’ll need a lighter and your blanket.”

    Q: Does Luca have a lighter? (Likely)
    A: Yes, but, it’s almost empty. It will be good for one use only.

    He takes the blanket and an almost empty lighter and sneaks over to Kuna’s cell.
    “Hey. No time to explain. Lighter and blankets.” He whispers.

    Q: Does Kuna have a lighter? (Likely)
    A: Yes, but, it’s almost empty. It will be good for one use only.

    Kuna gives Roy what he asked, and Roy leaves.
    He sets off to a warehouse-like cavern structure that is out of sight and tries to set the blankets ablaze.

    Roy: Survival: 1/2: Failure.

    The material is damp and cold, and Roy has a hard time setting it on fire. Luca’s lighter empties out in the process, and he tries again with Kuna’s lighter.

    Roy: Survival: 4/2: Success

    His second try, succeful, Roy sets the blankets on fire and hides them in the warehouse. He moves out of sight and waits.
    Not a long while later, the clouds of smoke are visible. The entire contents of the warehouse are on fire and the flames are visible in a distance. Roy heats shouting as the guards notice the flames.

    Q: Do the Amalsi that guard the stash abandon their post? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and they also take the patrolmen with them to fight the fire.

    Roy notices that the Amalsi that guarded the stash with their belongings left in a hurry. He heads over and gathers all he can carry, filling two backpacks.
    He then proceeds to open Luca’s and Kuna’s cells with a trusty blaster pistol shot.

    Q: Do the Amalsi notice the blasts? (Unlikely, since they are distracted firefighting)
    A: Yes

    The shots don’t go unnoticed.
    A guard notices Roy and the team and tries to call for reinforcements.

    Roy turns to Luca. “They hate the fire. I have them something to worry about.”

    Q: Do the Amalsi try to stop the team or the fire?
    A: The fire.

    Despite the guard’s call. No one cares. Eventually he gives up and heads over to assist his kind with the fire.
    The companions leave the Amalsi settlement unopposed and head deeper into a random glacier path.

    Since they are sure to be followed I will roll a Sneak skill attempt.
    Roy: Sneak (Opposed): 3/3(++): Success, but a small group will reach them.

    A while later they hear the sounds of pursuit. The Amalsi must have quenched the fire and sent out search groups.
    Roy heats a ‘swoosh’ sound and a javelin nearly hits him, smashing into the ice next to him. Their pursuers caught up to them!

    1D Amalsi Scouts: 3
    I decide that since the javelin almost hit them, it is at its maximum range 40 meters. I took its stats from OpenD6 Fantasy.

    Initiative:
    Team: 15
    Amalsi Scouts: 11

    Round 1:

    I need to know about the environment. I decide that it’s a narrow icy path.
    Q: Is there natural light?
    A: No, but the team has glow rods.
    The glow rods have a range of 50 meters so they should be fine.
    Q: Do they have their blasters at the ready? (Likely Since they are hunted down)
    A: Yes
    Roy shoots at the scout who threw his javelin at him.
    Roy: Shoot Scout 1: 3/4 Miss.
    Luca wants to shoot at their leader to intimidate them.
    So to find out if there is a scout leader, first he must make a successful Moderate Perception roll.
    Luca: Perception: 2/3: Failure
    One of the scouts seems stronger, Luca doesn’t know if he is the leader, but nevertheless he decides to shoot him.
    Luca: Shoot scout 2: 5+/4: Hit (Torso): 4/3: Wounded
    Kuna shoots at the same Amalsi.
    Q: Was his rifle salvaged?
    A: No
    Kuna: Shoot scout 2: 4+/4: Hit (Torso): 3/1: Incapacitated
    The Amalsi must roll a successful willpower roll to stay.
    Amalsi: Willpower: 0
    They retreat.

    Roy shoots at them and misses.
    Luca chooses the strongest looking Amalsi and hits him right on the chest with his DL-44 heavy blaster pistol. That doesn’t bring him down, but Kuna’s follow through shot does.
    Scared the two remaining Amalsi grab their companion and start retreating. They are no match for blasters.

    ”We can’t let them leave! They’ll tell the others!” Kuna says as he starts moving towards the retreating Amalsi.
    Roy stops him. “We’re the intruders here. It will take them a while to drag him back. Listen to me, we need to press on.”

    Roy: Persuasion (Opposed): 1/0: Success

    Kuna nods in agreement and they move on.
    A while later they stop to camp. Kuna attempts to bring Roy back to fighting shape using a Medpac.

    Kuna: First Aid: 2/2: Success

    The medicines and the bandages finally seem to be working. Roy is no longer affected by his wounds.

    Q: Do they find shelter?
    Roy: Survival: 3+/3: Success

    Roy finds a side opening in their path and decide to camp there.
    They feel hopelessly lost. They share some rations and sleep in shifts.

    Q: Does anything occur while they sleep?
    A: No

    They sleep withou any interruptions. Maybe the Amalsi lost their trail.

    Q: Do they have a way of knowing their depth?
    A: Yes, Roy has a barometer/altimeter.
    Roy: Survival: 4/2: Success
    I use GMA scatter to find out if they go up or down, and I get that they are going deeper. Also I want to know where they are heading and get the tags: Skull, Moon, Target. A senses of muffled stealthy footsteps and a location of Colony/Strange city.

    The path they follow heads further below. They notice that it widens a bit and feels walked upon a lot. The ice gives way to rock.
    Then the path finally opens wide. There is a huge cavern. The ceiling is so high that it is not illuminated by the glow rods.
    As they adjust to the new environment they notice that it is a city of sorts. Walls and arches. Roads and buildings. Everything well designed in stone. Very unlike the Amalsi settlement that they were before.
    What makes the trio uneasy is the eerie silence. There is no sign of life at all in this forsaken city.
    They walk through it and their steps echo. Sometimes they think that they hear other footsteps but as soon as they stop to listen, they hear nothing else.
    “What is this place?” Luca asks in a low voice. “It really creeps me out.”
    “Let’s search.” Roy says. “But we need to stick together. I feel as if someone is watching.”

    Roy: Search: 1: 1 Clue.
    Q: Did the Amalsi used to live here?
    A: No, but their ancestors did.

    They enter what seems to big a big building. In the hall there is a huge painting. It doesn’t have the phosphorescent colors that they noticed the Amalsi use.
    It depicts humanoid creatures similar to the Amalsi. They seem taller and stronger, their skin color ranging from tan to dark brown, their fur and manes in vivid dark red colorations, and what seems to be a nose in the middle of their face.
    Around them there is plant life and the sky is colored with the gas giant in the background.
    ‘So the Amal moon wasn’t always frozen? Or did the Amalsi leave their homeworld?’ Roy wonders.

    They decide to search this building further.

    Roy: Search: 7+++: Success!!!
    Wow that’s an insanely good roll. Three 6s on the Wild Die and full success on all dice. I will give Roy the chance to find out what’s going on.
    Now is a good time to set the story, most secrets revealed. As I wrote in previous sessions I have some ideas, and now it is time to ask The Oracle if they are valid.
    Q: Did the Amalsi always live here?
    A: Yes, but the moon wasn’t always frozen.
    Q: Does what happened, have to do with the dark side? (Likely, Since everything points to an evil presence).
    A: Yes, and it has to do with the Sith.
    Intervention! I will roll that after I am done with the 7 questions.
    Q: Is there a Sith starship nearby?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Is there still danger?
    A: Yes, and it’s near the Sith site.
    Q: Is there something valuable? (Likely since there is an imperial presence trying to find it).
    A: Yes, crystals that enhance Force powers.
    Q: Is there danger in the city?
    A: Yes, creatures are stalking them.
    Q: Did the Amalsi stop the Sith?
    A: No, unknown yet how or if they were stopped.

    It seems that the building they are in used to be a library. The books that they find are made from a sodt material that has managed to stand the test of time. They are written in the Amalsi language, but Roy manages to find one that stands out.
    It’s a small document, that is written in both Amalsi and Common, and it even contains an alphabet key between the two languages. It’s labeled “The Annals of The End”.
    Roy reads it, and proceeds to give a summary to his companions.

    “It says how the Amalsi used to live in a lush paradise with abundant flora and fauna and a clean atmosphere.
    One day a metal beast came from the sky, and from its belly descended an evil wizard with his iron minions and his dragons.
    They subsided the Amalsi and had them mine out crystals which were valuable to him.
    The Amalsi that were not sent to the mines were put to constructing a huge metal drill machine.
    Once it was complete, it started boring into the moon.
    That’s when it started. The more it dug down to bring out crystals, the more the air filled with purple dust and poison gasses.
    At first the plants and animals around the mining site withered and died. Many Amalsi followed.
    The bravest tried to rebel and faced off the wizard, but they met their doom at the claws of his dragons.
    The weakest tried to flee away, but they were caught and put to slavery.
    Then the air got so thick that the sunlight couldn’t pass through and an endless winter came. The plants died, the animals too, and cold covered the land.
    The wizard had built a fortress where he lay when he wasn’t in his metal beast.
    The Amalsi that used to live here finally managed to flee the city. Either the wizard didn’t care anymore or something happened to him. But they couldn’t stay here any longer. In addition to the conditions, the wizard’s dragons roamed free and attacked any Amalsi they wanted to eat.
    They organized some hunting groups to kill them, but none returned.

    Intervention: Regress plot
    (Adventure obstacle hindering a plot point).
    Now it’s the time to introduce the obstacle: Hssiss, dark side reptiles taken from The Tales of the Jedi Companion.

    Roy has just finished describing the story of the city to his two mates who are left with mouths agape.
    Then the double doors of their room are opened with a slam!
    ‘Hssiss’ a slithering loud sound is heard and two huge two-meter long reptile beasts charge in. One jumps on top of a bookcase while the other covers the entrance. A double row of spikes extends down their backs from head to tail and four fangs protrude from their jaws.
    These must be the ‘dragons’ the Annals told about.

    Session Background: One of my favorite sessions so far!
    What I Liked: I had my first true player moment, disconnected completely from GM knowledge, when I was trying to figure out the escape plan. I didn’t have to ask The Oracle, I just figured out I needed a distraction, and the fire weakness came to mind! Not a very complex thought I know, but I loved how it played out.
    I also loved how I finally managed to tell the story. I had expected that they would find out what’s going on either from the Imperials or from the living Amalsi, slowly and in separate parts. But the flow changed, and I really liked how there was an abandoned city with lost knowledge.
    I also liked how the Information mechanic I am using worked out (1 Success = 1 question).
    What I want to improve: Resources. I resorted to asking The Oracle if the players had something or not. I want to find a homebrew rule to sort this out. Maybe something similar to the OpenD6 Funds attribute?
    I find it tiresome to have bookkeeping on the inventory, weapons and gear of three characters.

     
c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
Reply
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t
Go to top
l
Go to login
h
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
Cancel
Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started