Updates from May, 2021 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • giorgis 5:47 pm on May 30, 2021 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    In the Trollshaws. Ep12 

    If it was a longer trip to bridge, I’d place some secret clocks to see what happens with, Ambald, the cart, the goods or the bandits. Instead, the Oracle will answer those.
    Also since it’s highly likely that this session will be about a fight, I won’t bother with using BOLD for connections, as I did in the past. If there is no fight, I will interject the connections from that point on.

    The trio leaves on foot, to ensure that the bandits don’t hear the horses.
    They also want to make sure that the bandits don’t kill Ambald, and want the element of surprise. For certain the steady rain will provide some bonuses to their stalk/hide rolls.

    Now, when they reach a visible distance from the bridge, I need to start asking questions.
    Q: Are the bandits still there?
    A: Yes, but, they’re almost ready to leave.
    Q: Is Ambald with them? (Likely, since they’re still there)
    A: Yes, and he’s bound.
    Q: Do the bandits intend to take the cart with them?
    A: Yes, and, they fixed the axle and they’re ready to start loading, and harnessing it the horse.

    So I’m trying to picture the scene. A bridge, 6 bandits, one hostage. I’ll ask each of the following a Likely Question.
    Q: Is the bandit leader in the middle giving orders? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and he is focused on the task.
    Q: Is one bandit at each side of the bridge standing watch? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and they’re focused as well.
    Q: Is one bandit with the hostage? (Likely)
    A: No, and there’s noone with the hostage. He seems to have moved himself to the edge of the bridge near the river.
    Q: Are ~~two~~ three bandits loading the cart? (Likely)
    A: Yes

    Camthalion raises his arm as the bridge is in sight. They find some shrubs to hide behind, and watch carefully.
    It seems that the bandits intend to take the cart with them along with the horse. They must have planned to carry the goods, but it seems that with the rain it won’t be possible, so they spent time unloading the cart, fixing it, and loading it back again. This gave the party the time they needed to reach them.
    Ambald the teamster is rope bound, but he has moved himself to the center of the bridge by the edge. There’s no bandit with him, he’s probably thinking of jumping in the river if the bandits intend to kill him.
    Their leader is giving three bandits orders on how to load the cart, while two other bandits are watching each side of the bridge for any travelers.
    Leowyn lays out the plan: they will move along the river bank carefully to avoid attention, as close as possible. Camthalion will cover them with his bow, while she and Dwalin will ambush them from the east side. If any bandit tries to get to Ambald, Camthalion will shoot them.

    So, I’ll ask at 500′ distance, if there is a chance that the bandit watches in their direction. If so, then I’ll roll in the Stalk/Hide vs Perception rule. If not, I’ll assume they move 100′ unhindered and ask again. Q: (500′) Does the bandit have a chance of seeing them?
    A: Yes
    Camthalion: Stalk: 64+40-5= 99: 80%: Moves 34′
    Leowyn: Stalk: 86+5-5= 86: 70%: Moves 12′
    Dwalin: Stalk: 68+2-5= 65: 40%: Moves 9′
    Q: Does the bandit have a chance of seeing them?
    A: False Presupposition. The bandit abandons his post. I’m thinking three options. Ambald tries to escape, someone arrives at the bridge, or he’s called to help load the cart. 1d3: 2: Someone arrives at the bridge.
    I’ll roll at the harnmaster encounters table: Lawless/Day: 59: Forester: 55: Offering employment. He offers to help them load the cart.

    As the party moves by the river bank under the cover of rain, the bandit that stood watch, looks their way, but can’t see them. His attention is drawn by a man arriving at the bridge. The bandit leader starts posing as an unlucky caravan master whose cart broke and he had to fix it. The man seems to offer his help. The distance is too great for the party to tell if they explain the prisoner situation or if it hasn’t come up to that yet.

    So, the party has moved at least 100′ more as the following transpires.
    Q: Does Ambald take the opportunity to escape?
    A: Yes!
    Q: Does he jump in the water? (Haven’t asked if he’s still bound)
    A: No

    I assume he has found an opening. Either he runs the other way, because the bandits are occupied with the forester, or he runs past the forester, hoping this will startle them, as they might need to face him.
    Q: But first I need to ask where does the forester come from? East? (Likely as the event impacted the watch on my side of the bridge)
    A: Yes
    Q: Does Ambald run past the Forester?
    A: No, he runs the other way, West
    Q: Are his hands still bound?
    A: No, he has untied himself.

    Ambald: Running: MM: 43+25=68: 90%: Runs 135′
    Q: Does the West watch bandit run after him?
    A: False Presupposition. He’s pushed down by Ambald as he runs past him.

    The taskmaster snaps his knots, and strides quickly west, pushing a startled bandit aside, who falls down in mud pool.
    “The prisoner!” The leader shouts. “He escapes!”

    Q: Do the bandits go after him?
    A: Yes, but, only one of them.
    Q: Is there any animosity with the Forester?
    A: No. For some reason, their ruse hasn’t been uncovered.

    So I decide that the party has moved another 100′ as the following transpires.
    Ambald: Running: MM: 51+25=76: Runs 150′
    Bandit: Running: MM: 64=64: Runs 80′

    The taskmaster doubles his running distance as one bandit starts to go after him. His armor and weapons seem to weigh him down.

    Q: Does the bandit keep up the chase?
    A: No

    The party moves another 100′ closer. The bandits are all too busy with the escape to notice what’s going on.

    The bandit stops to catch his breath, and waves his hand down in a gesture to let it be, and returns slowly to the bridge.

    Q: Is the party possible to be seen? (we’re less than 200′ away, but still there’s no reason to look at the river bank)
    A: No

    So the party moves another 100′.
    Now we’re too close. It’s time for the combat encounter. Camthalion is 66′ away, with Leowyn 88′ away, and Dwalin 91′ away. This time I’ll have them roll on the stalk/hide if they want to come closer.

    Round 1:
    Camthalion nooks a +5 arrow.
    Dwalin: Stalk/Hide: 94+2-5=91: 100%: Moves 23′ (68′ away)
    Leowyn: Stalk/Hide: 31+5-5=31: 60%: Moves 11′ (77′ away)

    Still distracted by the escape and the forester noone pays attention to Dwalin and Leowyn coming closer to the bridge.

    Round 2:
    Camthalion is waiting for the right moment.
    Dwalin: Stalk/Hide: 46+2-5=43: 70%: Moves 16′ (52′ away)
    Leowyn: Stalk/Hide: 56+5-5=56: 80%: Moves 14′ (63′ away)

    Round 3:
    Camthalion is waiting for the right moment.
    Dwalin: Stalk/Hide: 26+2-5=23: 60%: Moves 14′ (38′ away)
    Leowyn: Stalk/Hide: 75+5-5=75: 90%: Moves 16′ (47′ away)

    Round 4:
    Camthalion is waiting for the right moment.
    Dwalin: Stalk/Hide: 89+2-5=86: 100%: Moves 23′ (15′ away)
    Leowyn: Stalk/Hide: 0212+5-5=-10: 30%: Moves 5′ (42′ away)

    Round 5:
    Camthalion shoots the bandit watch at the east side.: 01: Fumble: You really mishandle your weapon. Stunned 2 rounds.
    Bandit: Draws weapon and Moves to attack Dwalin (in range): 59+5=64: 80%: Attacks: 68+80-100+43-30-30=31:-
    Dwalin: Attacks: 37+51+15-15=88: 7A: 79-20=59: Blow to shield shoulder breaks shield. If no shield: shoulder broken, arm useless.
    Leowyn: Moves in melee distance.

    Camthalion was holding his bow strung for so long until his friends arrived that he couldn’t take it anymore. He lets it go, and misses, while the bowstring hits him hard on the face. He loses his concentration completely, stunned.
    Leowyn shouts “You rotten bandit scum! you’ll die!”.
    As they’re within fight range, the bandit dashes at them, slashing at Dwalin’s chain hauberk, who hits back with his mace, breaking the bandit’s left arm.

    Q: Does the Forester flee? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and, quickly. He doesn’t want to get involved in a fight. Intervention: Entity Negative (Bandits/PC/Forester): Bandits. d144: Not the sharpest tool in the shed
    The bandit’s sword edge gets dull with the hit on the chain hauberk. -5 to attack.
    I also need to define some distances.
    Q: Is the bridge long?
    A: No
    Q: Is the bridge wide?
    A: Yes
    So, it’s a short, 100′ long bridge, 20′ wide, so that two carts can pass at the same time.
    The cart with the 3 bandits and the leader is 50′ away from the edge (65′ away total), while the other bandit is 100′ away (115′ away).

    The bandits will draw their swords and come running towards Dwalin and Leowyn at the edge of the river bank.

    Seeing the fight start, and hits being exchanged, the forester makes a run for it. Noone bothers with him.

    Round 6:
    Camthalion: Stunned
    Bandit 1: Attacks Dwalin: 13+43-30-5=21:-
    Bandit Leader: Moves 55′ closer.
    Bandit 2-4: Moves 55′ closer.
    Bandit 5: Moves 55′ closer.
    Dwalin: Attacks Bandit 1: 56+51+15-15=107: 11B: 60-10=50. Blow to forearm. +5 hits. If no arm armor: Stunned 1 round.
    Leowyn: Flanks and attacks Bandit 1: 25+38+15-15+15=78: 5

    As the rest of the bandits draw their blades and come closer, Dwalin and Leowyn flank their lone adversary. Dwalin blocks his enemy’s blow and brings his mace down on his forearm, stunning him, while Leowyn barely scratches him, flanking him.

    Round 7:
    Camthalion: Stunned
    Bandit 1: Stunned
    Bandit Leader: Moves & Attacks (D/L): Dwalin: 52+5=57: 80%: Attacks: 85+80-100+56-30:91: 8
    Bandit 2: Moves & Attacks: Dwalin: 58: 80%: Attacks: 100+37+43+80-100-30=130:14C: 47: Minor chest wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.
    Bandit 3: Moves & Attacks: Leowyn: 13: 50%: Attacks: 27+43+50-100-40=-20:-
    Bandit 4: Moves & Attacks: Leowyn: 33: 60%: Attacks: 20+43+60-100-40=-17:-
    Bandit 5: Moves 55′ Closer.
    Dwalin attacks Bandit Leader: 96+36-20-5+51+15-15=158: 20E: 100+20=120: Strike to head destroys brain. Life is hard for the unfortunate fool. Expires in a heap, immediately. Bandit Leader is down.
    Leowyn attacks Bandit 1: 42+20+15+38+15-15=115: 13C: 18: Minor calf wound. 1 hit per round. Bandit 1 is down.

    Camthalion still struggles to recover himself from the hit of his bowstring. The bandit still writes in pain on his forearm, but his companions close in.
    The highwaymen leader snaps at Leowyn, recognizing her from before. “You can’t have both the cart and your lives!”
    At the same time he tries to get past Dwalin’s defenses, but the dwarf fends off the attacks. Another bandit though finds the opportunity and gets his blade past the dwarf’s armor. A minor bleeding chest wound.
    “You’ll lose both the cart and your lives!” Dwalin counters, and hits the leader with his mace so hard on the head, that the skull is shattered and the brain is splattered on the bandits.
    The other two bandits fail to wound Leowy , who is focused on her enemy, slashing his calf, bringing him down.

    Round 8:

    Q: Do the bandits flee? (Likely)
    A: Yes

    Camthalion: nooks arrow.
    Bandit 2: Disengage & Flee: MM: 62: 40 vs: 16-10=6: 10. Bandit 2 Flees.
    Bandit 3: Disengage & Flee: MM: 41: 30 vs: 32-15=17: 10: Bandit 3 Flees.
    Bandit 4: Disengage & Flee: MM: 60: 40 vs: 92-15=77: 60: Leowyn attacks Bandit 4: 06+38+15-15: 44: -. Bandit 4 Flees.
    Bandit 5: Flees.

    Camthalion readies an arrow and aims at the bandits, whose morale is broken completely at the skill gore strike to their leader. They flee to the west, before Dwalin or Leowyn can react.

    Q: Is the horse tied to the cart?
    A: No, but it doesn’t have a saddle.

    Leowyn runs to ride the horse. Riding without a saddle will be a Medium MM.
    Leowyn: Riding: 16+46=62: 40%. Success.
    Dwalin takes out a bandage to mend his wound.

    Leowyn jumps on the bareback horse, while Dwalin stops. His blood still pumping, to take care of his chest wound. He knows they won the fight. The steady rain washing away the remains of his enemy’s head.

    Round 9:
    I consider that Camthalion doesn’t have it in his nature to shoot fleeing enemies, especially men, and especially when they no longer pose a threat. Instead, he will move to Dwalin, see if he can help him with a healing spell.
    Dwalin can’t join in a chase and fight in his condition, so he will stay there.
    Now Leowyn has a demeanor change. She’s becoming more bloodthirsty. She’ll try to finish off the three bandits and then try to find the teamster.

    Q: Do the three bandits run in different directions?
    A: Yes, but two of them run in the same direction.

    So Leowyn will go after these two.
    I deem that the horse she got now is a Heavy Horse since it is a cart drawing horse, which means a speed of 150′. Still, three times faster than the bandits.
    So the two bandits have moved 100′ west so far. Since they were not expecting Leowyn this first attack will be a Rear attack.
    The other bandit goes (N/S): South

    Leowyn: Rides and Attacks Bandit 2: 97+52+46=195: 140%: Attack: 95+38+15+15+20-15+140-100=208: 22E: 27+20=47: Minor Chest Wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.

    Round 10:
    Q: Does bandit 3 keep fleeing? (Likely, he hopes the other bandit will slow Leowyn down)
    A: Yes, but, he changes direction, going (N/S): North
    Bandit 2: Turns and attacks Leowyn: 75+43-40-20-5=53:-
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 2: 61+38+15+20-15=119: 15C: 3: Weak Strike yields no extra damage. +0 hits. Bandit 2 is down.
    Camthalion: Surface Ways: 68: Success. Heals: 1 hit point at Dwalin.

    The bandit tries a futile attack to fend off the Shield maiden, but he fails and is struck down. Meanwhile his companion has had the smarts to get off the road and run to the fields North.
    Camthalion works his healing powers on Dwalin who becomes more and more appreciative of the elf.

    Round 11:
    Q: Is Bandit 3 visible to Leowyn?
    A: No
    Q: Is Bandit 4 visible to Leowyn? (Unlikely)
    A: False Presupposition. Bandit 4 has escaped, he’s no longer in the field.
    Q: Is Ambald visible to Leowyn?
    A: Yes, and he’s realized what is going on, and is returning.

    The thrill of battle still in her veins, she looks around for the rest of the bandits, but she can’t find them, they both seem to have dispersed in different directions, hiding behind trees and shrubs. But she makes out another figure. It’s Ambald, the teamster, coming to them.
    She wipes her blade off the blood, and sheathes it.
    “You arrived just in time.” He tells her as he comes within shouting distance. “You have great skill with the blade.” He adds.
    Leowyn smiles. “I’ve brought friends.” She adds.
    They tie back the horse to the cart, load it and return to the inn.
    Wyny is more than happy to have them all back safe, and even Ambald in one piece.

    Now the party must decide how to proceed.

    Going with BOLD again to roll up some connections.

    action gerund subject
    scrutinize negating a dislike
    assure detailing an annoyance
    speculate working a decision

    Camthalion, wants to find out more about the evil brewing in the region.
    Dwalin, being a stereotypical stubborn greedy dwarf, wants to keep searching the Trollshaws for the relic.
    Leowyn has given her word to the caravan master, and also going south to Tharbad takes her closer to her personal task to find her lover’s killer.

    The three adventurers go to their room, and have a meeting.
    Camthalion points out his worries. “There is great evil in the region. The Crebain followed us back here. Soon after I was confronted by a man who almost killed me. Master of the black arts, who knew we were at the keep. I found several manuscripts which we should try to decipher. Maybe bring them to Rivendell. That’s what should be done, before we head back in the keep, to clean it up of any residual evil.”
    Leowyn takes point on the conversation. “I understand your worries. But I have given my word to the caravan master. He’s lost a guard because he changed course to come here, and he’d have turned back, unless I offered my blade until Tharbad. Come with me down to Tharbad, and as soon as we finish our escort duty, we’ll return to the keep or go to Rivendell. There will be enough time.”
    Dwalin, diminishes the importance of Leowyn’s promise. “Did you offer your blade for free?” He asks.
    Leowyn shakes her head. “No, I’m to be paid the escort’s wage.”
    “Then you can null the contract, with no pay, and no harm done!” Dwalin adds. “We should search the region, if there’s so much evil here.”
    “I could try to convince Wyny to hire you as guards as well, you’ve proved yourselves and we could use the extra silver.” She tries to convince them otherwise.

    With these I deem that Camthalion has used up the speculate, detailing, a dislike, Leowyn has used up the assure, working, a decision and Dwalin has used up scrutinize, negating, an annoyance.

    Now let’s see on this break or make moment if the party will stick together.

    Camthalion: Influence: 34+20=54: Failure
    Leowyn: Influence: 87=87: Partial Success
    Dwalin: Influence: 34-5=29: Failure

    So Leowyn has another shot at it.

    “Is the pay good?” Dwalin asks.
    “I’m sure we can work something out. We can also ask for the teamster to put in a good word.” Leowyn replies.

    Leowyn: Influence: 62: Failure

    “Doesn’t sound reliable to me.” Dwalin says. “I’ll stay in Rhudaur with Camthalion. I think Tharbad is not in our way.”
    “I still wish you would join us.” Camthalion says. “Is your mind made up?”
    “I’m afraid so. I must honor my word. There’s a chance that in Tharbad I can find clues about what I’m looking for. May we meet again.” Leowyn adds.
    There’s an odd pause. They all feel numb, but they must take their own way.

    Bookkeeping

    Arrows: Camthalion is at 35+2 (I deem that the fumbled shot destroyed the arrow) arrows,
    Leowyn is at 35 arrows

    Criticals EP
    Camthalion
    Dwalin 310
    Leowyn
    Kill Points EP
    Camthalion
    Dwalin 250
    Leowyn 390
    Hits Received EP
    Camthalion
    Dwalin 26
    Leowyn
    Spell Points EP
    Camthalion 100
    Dwalin
    Leowyn

    Maneuver Points|EP
    Camthalion|
    Dwalin|
    Leowyn|10

    Non-Idea EP Total EP
    Camthalion 100
    Dwalin 586
    Leowyn 400

    I’ll give the party half the total as idea points, 1086 EP total, divided by three, 362 each.

    Summing up, from previous session.

    Name Experience Points
    Camthalion 5568 EP
    Dwalin 6614 EP
    Leowyn 5653 EP

    Money: The party pool is 6sp, 87bp, 6cp and 59tp. Which is 2sp, 29bp, 2cp and 20tp each.

    Hit Points: Dwalin is at 17 hit points, Leowyn is at full hit points, Camthalion is at full hit points.

    Additional Gear Weapons Valuables Herbs
    Camthalion Broadsword +5, Javelin +5 2 gems, 3 written works, 1 magic ring Rewk, Tharl, Attanar, Suranie
    Dwalin Battle Axe +10, Light
    Leowyn Morningstar +5

    Session Summary

    I was almost certain that the battle with the bandits would end in disaster when Dwalin got hit and Camthalion fumbled. But his 100 on his critical on the extra successful strike on the bandit leader changed the course of the battle in one second!
    I could have done the Influence roll opposed, with the entire party moving as one, but I worked with MERP success levels for two reasons.
    The narrative reason is that the party had serious reasons to follow their own ways. They felt strongly for their opinions.
    The mechanical reason is that MERP has exhausted me. The system is ancient and it has tons of gaps or non-streamlined parts, to put it nicely. I want to switch to another system. Either by converting these characters or by starting new ones.
    So essentially I’m putting a nice end on the Trollshaws part of the adventure, with options to continue the story sooner or later.

     
  • giorgis 4:28 pm on May 23, 2021 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    In the Trollshaws. Ep11 

    Switching back to 10 days ago, to Camthalion.
    Setting up some key points in my GM hat:

    • Lord Ar Gular, whose keep the party raided, is a regular in disguise in the Last Inn.
    • Crebain spies to Ar Gular have seen the party and most likely have notified their master
    • Either Crebain or Orcs may have tracked the party to the Last Inn.
    • Considering the raid on the keep, Ar Gular (Turlin) is unlikely to be at the Last Inn before the party
    • Ar Gular (Turlin) may arrive to the Last Inn to gather information, after examining the condition of the keep
    • Even if the party wasn’t tracked, there is the unlikely event that loose lips while staying at the inn may spread the story of their whereabouts to the keep

    Some minor points:

    • The cost of food & lodging for 10 days for the two of them is 1sp
    • Considering the extra care Dwalin needs, Camthalion will need to either pay extra, offer some services, or take care of him, himself

    Tools:

    • I won’t be using any random encounters, rather ask the Oracle every passing day
    • I won’t be generating weather unless required, since the party is in a safe place

    Day 15, Hithui

    Camthalion will try to come to an arrangement with the Grumms so that they take care of Dwalin in exchange for his services.
    Rubb, being the innkeep, is where Camthalion goes first.

    The elf finds Rubb behind the bar and puts a silver coin on the board. “Innkeep, we will pay the next 10 days. Separate room, three meals a day for me and Dwalin.” Rubb takes the silver. “Breakfast is served.”
    Camthalion hasn’t moved.
    “Anything else I can do to help?” The innkeep asks.
    “Can you look after Dwalin? I’m here to offer my skills in return.” Camthalion offers.

    Influence: 20+20+30=70: Failure

    Q: Does Rubb agree? (Unlikely)
    A: No

    “We have our hands full with customers. I’m sorry you’ll have to take care of your friend on your own.” Rubb replies.
    Camthalion puts another 5bp on the table. “Will this make it up for your services then?”

    Influence: 39+20+30=89: Partial Success

    Q: Does Rubb agree? (Slightly Likely)
    A: Yes, and he will offer to buy anything Camthalion forages from the woods if worth it.

    The innkeep takes the amount. “I think that is fine. Also if you brave the woods and find anything useful, I’ll consider buying. Now go eat some breakfast and speak with Bura about your friend.”
    Camthalion thanks the innkeep and does as asked.

    Camthalion will search for General Purpose Herbs in the 10-mile hex where the Last Inn resides.
    I choose that he will search for Attanar, which cures fever, is located in Freshwater banks/coasts and should be useful to the Grumms.

    Encounter Check: 8: No encounter

    Search: 36+20+35+2= 93: Near Success
    Search: 10+20+35+2+20= 97: Near Success
    Search: 10+20+35+2+20= 97: Near Success
    Search: 09+20+35+2+20= 96: Near Success
    Search: 45+20+35+2+20= 122: Success. One dose found.

    The elf searches along the river coast, where Attanar, a fever curing moss grows. He finds traces of it, so he keep searching along the river, under the bridge, until he finally finds a good amount. He puts it carefully in his pouch and returns to the inn.

    Q: Are the Grumms interested in Attanar?
    A: False Presupposition. Camthalion never brings it to them, considering that the importance of the herb is too much to give away.

    Q: Does anything happen during the day?
    A: No

    Night 15-16, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the night?
    A: No, but it’s going to be likely in the morning

    Day 16, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the day? (Likely)
    A: Yes
    Q: Is it loose lips? (Likely)
    A: Yes

    Dwalin eats and is cared for in his living vegetable condition. As Camthalion goes for breakfast, he can’t but overhear two customers talking about him and the dwarf, and how they returned from the haunted castle.

    Camthalion will search for Healing Herbs in the 10-mile hex where the Last Inn resides.
    I choose that he will search for Rewk, which grows in the forest.

    Encounter Check: 10: No encounter

    Search: 70+20+35+2+10=137. Success. One dose found.
    Since there is more time available, he will also search for Thurl in the same region.
    Search: 29+20+35+2+30=.116. Success. One dose found.

    Since there is nothing else that grows in the “Desiduous Forest” locale, Camthalion will return to the inn, eat his lunch and head out again.

    I choose that he will search for Suranie, which is Stun Relief, is located in Freshwater banks/coasts.

    Encounter Check: 11: No encounter

    Search: 11+20+35+2+10=78: Partial Success.
    Search: 45+20+35+2+10=112: Success. One dose found.

    Camthalion heads out for herbs again, and gathers several that will help them in their travels. Rewk, Thurl and Suranie among others.

    Night 16-17, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the night?
    A: No, but it’s going to be likely in the morning

    Day 17, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the day? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and it’s potential danger.
    When: (3 Watches, 1d12 hours, 1d60 minutes into day): 2.26pm.
    So, it’s highly likely whatever happens, plays out while Camthalion is outside foraging.
    I choose that he will search for Aloe to the scrubs by the road, which helps against burns.

    Search: 22+20+35+2= 79: Partial Success.
    Search: 0159+20+35+2= -1: Absolute Failure. No more doses will be found for the rest of the day, and Camthalion keeps searching.

    Q: Does the event happen at the inn?
    A: Yes, and Turlin or Orcs or Crebain (asked in this order) have arrived. Intervention: 5: Regress Plot. Camthalion doesn’t see the inn from where he is, so he is completely unaware and will return after the event.
    Q: Did Turlin arrive at the inn?
    A: No, but words have reached him that the adventurers headed to the inn.
    Q: Are Orcs attacking the inn?
    A: False Presupposition. There are no orcs left. The garisson was eradicated, and Thuk is with Ar Gular (Turlin).
    So if it’s something dangerous it must be Crebain.
    Q: Is it Crebain? (Likely)
    A: Yes
    Q: Do the Crebain attack?
    A: No, and, they don’t harass anyone, they are just spotted.

    Camthalion returns to the inn after a whole day of searching herbs, empty handed. There is a lot of ruckus, so he asks what’s going on, and learns about a group of large black crows swarming on the sky and circling above the inn many times before heading back North.
    Even if the customers don’t know it, he does. It’s Crebain. Like the ones they met at the keep. This can’t be a coincidence. He won’t be far from the inn to search for herbs again. Instead he will be patrolling nearby. He alarms his hosts, but without being too specific.
    “Crows like these often are friends with orcs and goblins. If they dared show themselves here, we should be alarmed. I’ll keep an eye.” He tells Rubb.

    Q: Does Rubb find him overreacting?
    A: No, and he believes him right away. Intervention: 4: Advance Plot. He connects the dots.

    Rubb nods. “Trolls held my boy and fed him like a turkey. These are dangerous times. I don’t know what trouble you stirred, but it’s coming this way, and it won’t go away even if you do. You’re to stay these 10 days you paid for, and please don’t come bringing trouble again to our doorstep.”

    Night 17-18, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the night?
    A: No.

    Day 18, Hithui

    Q: Does anything happen during the day?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Is it dangerous?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Is it Turlin?
    A: Yes, and he knows the adventurers are here.
    Q: Does he appear as Turlin?
    A: Yes
    Q: Does he find out who the adventurer’s are? (Likely)
    A: Yes, but, he risks being exposed.
    Q: Does he try to ambush Camthalion who’s on patrol? (Likely)
    A: Yes
    Q: Is Thuk, nearby?
    A: No, and he’s no longer with him.
    Q: Does he go by the inn first? (or does he happen to come across Camthalion?)
    A: No.

    So I can place the scene. Camthalion is patrolling out on the woods. Ar Gular, furious that a trio of adventurers raided his base, is informed by his trusted Crebain that they are staying in the Last Inn, where he is a regular. He travels alone, as he has no minions left. Thuk his captain, he either eliminated or he’s nowhere to be seen, to avoid facing his wrath.
    So he goes to the Last Inn, posing like the wandering minstrel, Turlin, looking for an elf, a dwarf and a shield maiden. Just before reaching the Last Inn, he comes face to face with Camthalion. Although he’s quite certain the elf might be part of the adventurers he’s looking for, he want to be certain, considering the Last Inn’s clientele, and this just might warn Camthalion, as they face off.
    Catching Camthalion all alone, brings a unique opportunity to Turlin, and is certain to attack the elf.
    Camthalion on the other hand is on guard, but Ar Gular posing as Turlin doesn’t seem as a threat at first glance.
    There is a HUGE level difference between them (Level 9 vs Level 1), and Camthalion’s only chance is the fact that Ar Gular, being a Mage doesn’t have any significant defenses. If he starts casting spells though, that’s another story.

    So, first of all let’s see if Ar Gular notices Camthalion (who is hiding).
    Ar Gular (Perception): 15-15-40: Failure
    Now let’s see if Camthalion notices Ar Gular (who isn’t hiding).
    Camthalion (Perception): 69+35=104: Near Success: 91+35+20=146: Success.

    Camthalion is out patrolling, bow at hand, when he hears footsteps. He draws an arrow, and moves to investigate.
    He sees a man, round face, with uneven gray hair and amber eyes. He wears fine clothing and several pouches hang from his belt.

    Q: Does he remember him from several nights ago in the inn?
    A: No
    So he doesn’t remember him, which keeps him a tad bit on guard.

    He lowers his bow. “Greetings stranger.” He says. “Dangerous times to walk alone.”
    Startled, the man, returns the greeting.
    “Greetings stranger. You’re not in danger from me. I’m but Turlin, a wandering minstrel.” He says.
    Camthalion responds in kind. “You’re not in danger from me either. Seen any orcs? they have ventured too south for my liking.”

    Q: Does Turlin say he has seen orcs?
    A: No, but, he tries to switch the subject.

    “Orcs never come near the inn.” The man replies. “Not even near Cameth Bryn, or the old castle. If you’ve been near the place.”

    So this is my interpretation of finding out who the adventurers are, but risk being exposed. I’ll have Camthalion roll Perception to see if he understands the question was off.
    I’ll give him a +20 bonus for Easy difficulty, (switching the subject, stranger to Camthalion).
    Perception: 89+35+20= 144: Success.

    Camthalion senses something is off about this stranger. He may be a master of disguise, but elves are not easily fooled. His arrow slips back on the bow.

    Q: Does Ar Gular try to diplomatically evade conflict (Unlikely)
    A: No

    “Lat kramp nar srinkhsha amirz lat nurzum” the stranger shouts as he poises himself for combat.

    Distance: 10d10′: 66

    encounter

    Round 1:
    Camthalion moves 10′ closer and shoots at Ar Gular: 57+48+10= 115: 15C: 78: Strike to lower leg. Tendons torn. +3 hits. -25 to activity. Stunned 1 round.
    Ar Gular: Stunned

    Camthalion releases his arrow, which hits the stranger on his lower leg. He drops down, interrupting his spell, and he starts stumbling to walk to some sort of cover.

    Round 2:
    Camthalion reloads, moves 10′ closer and shoots at Ar Gular: 77+48+10+5-35=105: 11C: 2: Glancing blow. No extra damage.
    Q: Does Ar Gular try an offensive spell? (Instead of defensive)
    A: Yes
    Ar Gular: List: Fire Law: Fire Bolt: 68+90-30-25-25=78: 12B: 34-10=24: Minor burns. +8 hits. 1 hit per round.

    Camthalion shoots another arrow into the stranger utters some unknown words and a small flaming ball appears between his fingers. He throws a curveball towards Camthalion and a bolt of fire strikes the elf. He gets burned, and the burning continues.

    Round 3:
    Camthalion reloads, moves 10′ closer and shoots at Ar Gular: 27+48+10-35-20=30:-
    Q: Does Ar Gular try an offensive spell? (Instead of defensive)
    A: False Presupposition. Ar Gular won’t cast a spell but draw his dagger and attack. Perhaps he’s afraid his spells may draw unwanted attention.
    Ar Gular: Moves 40′ Closer.

    Unwaivering to darkness, the elf warrior closes in and fires another arrow, but misses this time.
    The stranger draws a dagger and with a hurt leg almost covers the distance between them.

    Round 4:
    Camthalion reloads and shoots: 92+48+10-35-20=95: 8A: 91-20=71: Strike to lower leg. Tendons torn. +3 hits. -25 to activity. Stunned 1 round.
    Ar Gular: Stunned
    Q: Is Ar Gular prone (both legs tendons torn) (Likely)
    A: No

    His face a few feet away, Camthalion aims for his opponent’s other leg, and hits. The minstrel screams and stumbles once more. Stunned he stays on the spot.

    Round 5:
    Camthalion draws his sword and attacks in melee: 62+23+5-20-5-30=35:-
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 52+45-15-50-25=7:-

    Round 6:
    Camthalion attacks in melee: 73+23+5-20-5=76: 7 hits
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 19+45-15-50-25=-26:-

    Round 6:
    Camthalion attacks in melee: 24+23+5-20-5=27: –
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 93+45-15-50-25=48:-

    Round 7:
    Camthalion attacks in melee: 54+23+5-20-5=57: –
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 92+45-15-50-25=47:-

    For almost a minute, the two opponents are locked into melee. Their wounds prevent them from scoring a successful hit.

    Round 8:
    Camthalion surface way: Heal: 64-30=34: Success: Heals: 9 hit points
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 85+45-15-50-25=40:-

    Feeling close to losing his consciousness, Camthalion focuses inwards and casts a healing spell. He recovers as his enemy lashes with his dagger, and manages to evade the hit.

    Round 9:
    Camthalion attacks in melee: 32+23+5-20-5=35: –
    Ar Gular attacks with his dagger: 17+45-15-50-25=-28:-

    Another series of unsuccessful melee. The two opponents realize they must change tactics.

    Round 10:
    Camthalion attacks in melee: 03: Fumble: 45: Drop your weapon. It will take 1 round to draw a new one or 2 rounds to recover old one.
    Q: Does Ar Gular try an offensive spell? (Instead of melee)
    A: Yes
    Ar Gular: List: Water Law: Water Bolt: 8: Fumble: 88: Internalization overloads senses. +20 hits. Blind and deaf for 10 minutes. +1 CP.

    Keeping on the same tactic, hoping for a miracle, as his strength saps away from the burning spell, Camthalion fumbles and drops his sword.
    His opponent’s eyes gleam with the advantage he’s found. He screams in an unknown language and as he gestures ready to cast a spell, his eyes turn black, and blood oozes from his ears. He must have done something wrong in his incantations, and he walks around aimlessly unable to see or hear.
    Camthalion lifts up his sword, and carves his enemy in one swift movement.
    Then he pauses, and bandages his burns.

    Camthalion recovers (1d4-1 normal arrows and 1d2-1 magic arrows): 2 normal and 1 magical arrow.
    Camthalion searches his opponent’s belongings. An evil mage could have valuable information.
    23sp, 1gp, 2gems(9 carat amber, 5 carat quartz), 3written works(1: carved wood, local region, rigged condition, philosophical treatise, 2: parchment and ink, local region, good condition, map, spell descriptions, journal, mystic tome of valor, historical text, letter, 3: vellum and ink, local region, fair condition, law/decree/charter/pardon),1artifact(ring, shock bolt I twice a day)

    I've used both Harnmaster and MERP to generate the most appropriate items.

    Camthalion goes through the minstrel’s belongings. Nothing in there points to a wandering minstrel. Instead, he finds silver, gold, gems and written works of several types. The most important of which, a book with a map of the region, spell descriptions, and other interesting things that will take a while to uncover. He also finds a ring that has some engravings on it, and takes it too.

    Now Camthalion needs to decide what to do with his enemy’s corpse. He’s altruistic, good, calm and content. I decide he’ll bring him back to the inn, along with the findings.

    Camthalion, wounded and battered, returns to the Last Inn, dragging Turlin’s lifeless body with him. As he arrives, the Grumms surround him.

    Q: Do the Grumm’s recognize Turlin?
    A: Yes

    “That’s Turlin, the trobadour! What happened to him?” Rubb asks, scared. “Did orcs get to him? what evil has befallen us?”
    “He, he is the evil. He posed as a bard, but he’s an agent of darkness. He cast fire, by chanting spells in the Black Speech. I barely survived.”

    Influence: 45+20=65: Failure.
    Q: Do they believe Camthalion?
    A: Yes, but they’re shocked.

    “It… it can’t be.” He looks at Camthalion’s burn wounds. “He was spying at us all this time. You saved us from great evil. I sincerely hope your friend arrives soon with help. I doubt this place is as safe any more. We’ll start locking the doors at nights. We’ll do our best.” He turns to his wife. “Come, help me bury him at the back, before we scare our customers.”

    Regarding Thuk, the orc captain, the only possible threat remaining, the following scenarios are considered plausible:

    • He disappeared fearing his masters wrath
    • He is on a mission elsewhere
    • He is dead
    • He is recruiting more orcs to go after the adventurers

    Considering the story and Oracle sofar I believe the last scenario to be the least plausible. Therefore, with the safe haven of the Last Inn in mind, I will switch to a single Oracle roll for the remaining time period until Leowyn returns, and only reconsider if deemed so.

    Q: Does anything unexpected happen until Leowyn’s return?
    A: Yes, and. Intervention. Regress Plot.
    Q: Is it Thuk? (Unlikely)
    A: Yes
    Q: Is it a night attack? (Likely)
    A: False Presupposition. It’s not an attack.
    Q: Is it a sighting/tracks?
    A: Yes, and the orcs have a warband.
    When: Day 23, 1st Watch, 1.15am.
    Q: Does Camthalion see them? (Instead of news being delivered)
    A: Yes.
    Q: Is it tracks?
    A: No, it’s sighting.

    Seems Camthalion is worried by the enemy movements, and he patrols at nights.

    Orc Perception: 53+20-40=33: Failure. Camthalion isn’t detected.

    After recovery, Camthalion soon took patrol duties day and night near the inn. The first days pass uneventful, but one night, five days later, he makes out the crouched figures of several orcs under the starlit sky. He hides, and motionless, they pass by him.
    The Trollshaws are far from safe. Orcs coming closer and closer to the civilized lands.
    At morning, he tries to follow their tracks, see where they come from and where they went.

    Perception: 28+35=63: Failure.

    He follows the tracks for a while, but can’t make sense of them, unless he strays too far, and can’t risk abandoning the patrol of the inn, so he returns.

    Q: Does anything unexpected happen until Leowyn’s return?
    A: Yes, but, nothing dangerous.
    When: Day 24, noon.
    Q: Is it a rare book trader?
    A: No, but it’s a trader.
    I don’t think we’re interested right now in any purchases so I’ll let this event slide.
    I wanted to see if I could make the event interesting by having a possible buyer for the rare tomes found in Herubar Gular.

    The rest of the days pass without any further sign of orcs. Traders come and go. As the tenth day arrives, a caravan enters the inn yard. Leowyn dismounts from her horse and removes her helmet. She has arrived finally.
    The caravan seems battered. Leowyn and Camthalion greet each other.
    “I’ve brought a healer. How’s Dwalin?” She asks.

    Q: Does Dwalin show signs of improvement?
    A: No, but, only very slight.

    “He’s about at the same condition as you left him. How was your trip?” He asks.
    “First things first. Let’s get him to shape, then we can exchange news.” She responds. “Suse!” She calls to the healer. “Let’s get you to my friend”
    They go upstairs to Dwalin’s room.

    Q: Can Suse heal Dwalin with a spell?
    A: Yes

    Suse: Major Nerve Repair: 80+18+20+30= 148: -55 to RR: 46-55: -9The healer lays her hands by Dwalin’s side, and grabs his forehead. She spreads a paste over him and meditates. Dwalin starts shaking all over, Camthalion and Leowyn hold him down. Then after a while, he stops shaking and Suse removes her hands.
    Exhausted, she sits down. “I’ll need a moment.”
    When finally she stands up, Dwalin slowly gets on his feet.
    “Vrt prend?” He mumbles. “What happened?” He repeats.
    Leowyn smiles. “The healing lady here saved your skin. I believe you owe her a heft sum of gold.”
    “Two dozen of them coins it will be, and I’ve cut you one whole gold because the shield maiden here saved us on the road.” The healer adds.
    Dwalin’s eyes widen out. The dwarf might have just recovered from his condition, but the cost was enough to shake him.
    “As promised, we can trade with you for the tomes.” Let me get them to you.

    Tomes value: 42gp in a major city.
    Q: Do they agree on getting all the tomes in exchange for the services?
    A: No, but, they agree with 3 more gp, which the party provides.
    Q: Does Wyny make an offer against the bandits? (Likely)
    A: Yes.

    Suse pockets the tomes, which she gets at half market value, and an extra 3 gold pieces. Dwalin wants to grumble, but he’s grateful to be back in fighting condition.
    “Now tell me, what happened while you were gone?” Camthalion asks as they go downstairs.
    “I’ll tell you what happened!” The caravan master snaps. “Highwaymen jumped us on the bridge! They got away with one cart worth of goods.”
    The party looks at each other.
    “You all look like you can take care of yourselves. How does 1 gold to each of you sound…to take back what is mine?” He proposes.
    Before they could even discuss it, Dwalin moves forward. “Yes. Make it 4 gold for all of us.”
    “Are you sure you’re up to it master dwarf?” Camthalion asks.
    “But yes! I’ve been healed and taken care of like a baby!” Dwalin responds.

    Q: Does Wyny agree? (Likely)
    A: No

    “3 gold is all I can offer. Take it or leave it.” The caravan master counters.
    “Let’s do it! I want to get these feet moving.” Dwalin agrees.
    “Then do it fast. I don’t know how long it will take for these lowlifes to escape with my goods. The rain is gonna cover their tracks.” Wyny adds. “We’ll spend the night here and set off to Tharbad in the morning.”
    “We did not agree to that!” Camthalion points out to the party. “There is danger that we must deal with. We haven’t caught up yet.”
    “I’m already one foot in. I’m to escort them to Tharbad. Had to give them something so that they would come here.” Leowyn replies. “It’s very close. You can fill us in on the way.”

    Q: Does Enryn join them?
    A: False Presupposition. This was never on the table.

    So the party gathers their adventuring gear, and head out towards the bridge.

    Bookkeeping

    Arrows: Camthalion is at 35+3 arrows,
    Leowyn is at 35 arrows

    Criticals Received EP
    Camthalion 200
    Kill Points EP
    Camthalion 600

    Since Camthalion scored the criticals AND kill there's no reason to calculate them as criticals EP deduct from kill EP, for a same sum total.

    Hits Received EP
    Camthalion 29
    Spell Points EP
    Camthalion 100
    Non-Idea EP Total EP
    Camthalion 929

    I’ll give Camthalion half the total as idea points. 464 EP total.

    Summing up, from previous session.

    Name Experience Points
    Camthalion 5106 EP
    Dwalin 5666 EP
    Leowyn 4891 EP

    Money: The party pool is 6sp, 87bp, 6cp and 59tp.

    Hit Points: Dwalin is at full hit points, Leowyn is at full hit points, Camthalion is at full hit points.

    Additional Gear Weapons Valuables Herbs
    Camthalion Broadsword +5, Javelin +5 2 gems, 3 written works, 1 magic ring Rewk, Tharl, Attanar, Suranie
    Dwalin Battle Axe +10, Light
    Leowyn Morningstar +5

    Session Summary

    It’s always exciting to see how the Oracle and random rolls create their own story, and I’m always happier when that story somehow makes sense. I love how Ar Gular, bereft of minions, tried to deal with the adventurers on his own, and failed.
    It was a very risky combat. I knew about the swinginess of MERP, but I didn’t know about the dark magic part. I thought that Corruption Points was all it was about, but the Spellcasting Fumbles are up to par with WHFRP, with an Unmodified Fumble roll of 01-10, that’s 10% of all directed spells! And, that’s what saved Camthalion from certain death.
    Again, it’s becoming harder and harder to run MERP, as I discover a lot of spots where I have to houserule or ask the Oracle. This is an issue, especially considering it’s a d100 crunchy system, where expectations are a bit higher.
    Now the orc warband could have been Thuk (as the Oracle said) but maybe he’s going his own way, who knows.
    I believe right now I have enough of a backstory to introduce a Background Events Secret Oracle.
    Since the Trollshaws main thread is coming to an end (even though I don’t use threads directly), I will keep an open eye to conversions.
    Overall I really enjoy how the campaign evolves. I have three unfullfilled character backstories, a thread about the bridge bandits, and an escort mission to Tharbad.

     
  • giorgis 4:57 pm on May 21, 2021 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    In the Trollshaws. Ep10 

    Day 21, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (4) is hot, foggy, clear skies, and the wind is SE calm
    Encounter check: 6: No encounter
    Leowyn recovers 1 hit point

    5th Watch:
    The weather (4) is warm, foggy, clear skies, and the wind is SE calm
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter
    Leowyn recovers 4 hit points

    6th Watch:
    The weather (4) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SE breeze
    Encounter check: 8: No encounter
    Leowyn recovers 4 hit points

    After the fight, and getting back into shape, the caravan moves on through the warm and foggy weather. As night falls, the caravan camps at the foothills of the Weather Hills.

    Day 22, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (4) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SE breeze
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter
    Leowyn recovers 4 hit points

    2nd Watch:
    The weather (4) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SE breeze
    Encounter check: 3: No encounter
    Leowyn is at full hit points

    3rd Watch:
    The weather (3) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is NE windy
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    4th Watch:
    The weather (3) is warm, foggy, clear skies, and the wind is NE calm
    Encounter check: 18: Encounter
    Since we’re right at the end of the border of the disputed region, I will ask the Oracle.
    Q: Is the region Lawless?
    A: Yes
    Lawless/Day: 22: Reroll as Wilderness/Rural: Rural: 22: Farmer/etc: 39: Half–Villein/Average Thrall: 37: At Work (Making/Selling Goods)
    Attitude: 58: Indifferent

    5th Watch:
    The weather (3) is cold, clear skies, and the wind is NE windy
    Encounter check: 3: No encounter

    6th Watch:
    The weather (5) is warm, cloudy skies, and the wind is S breeze, thunderstorms: 3: hail
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    The night goes by uneventfully, and the caravan continues on their way. They pass by some farmers collecting their autumn fruits from an orchard. They don’t pay attention to them, and go each on their own way. The warm weather switches to a cold NE wind by night, and nightfall catches them in the open plains, past the Weather Hills, towards the East. Severe hail and thunderstorms catch them unaware and they have to cover the goods and sleep under the carts.

    Day 23, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (5) is warm, cloudy skies, and the wind is S calm, thunderstorms: 9: hail
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    2nd Watch:
    The weather (5) is warm, cloudy skies, and the wind is S windy, thunderstorms: 68: no hail
    Encounter check: 9: No encounter

    3rd Watch:
    The weather (6) is warm, overcast skies, and the wind is SW windy, rain showers
    Encounter check: 16: No encounter

    4th Watch:
    The weather (6) is warm, overcast skies, and the wind is SW breeze, rain showers
    Encounter check: 8: No encounter

    5th Watch:
    The weather (8) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is SW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 8: No encounter

    6th Watch:
    The weather (8) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is SW gale, steady rain
    Encounter check: 16: No encounter

    Hail and thunderstorms take up most of the night, but as day breaks, the rain switches to showers. The day moves on without anything of importance, and the night catches them further east, the weather becoming cooler, and steady rain, soaking them for good.

    Day 24, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (8) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is SW breeze, steady rain
    Encounter check: 16: No encounter

    2nd Watch:
    The weather (8) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is SW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 3: No encounter

    3rd Watch:
    The weather (8) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is SW gale, steady rain
    Encounter check: 7: No encounter

    4th Watch:
    The weather (7) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is NW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    5th Watch:
    The weather (6) is warm, overcast skies, and the wind is SW breeze, rain showers
    Encounter check: 15: No encounter

    6th Watch:
    The weather (6) is warm, overcast skies, and the wind is SW calm, rain showers
    Encounter check: 7: No encounter

    The night is cold and rainy. The rain continues through the entire day, dropping the morale of the caravan as they head eastwards, even closer to the Last Bridge. They welcome the switch to a warmer south west wind and lighter rain.

    Day 25, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (7) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is NW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 2: No encounter

    2nd Watch:
    The weather (7) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is NW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 6: No encounter

    3rd Watch:
    The weather (7) is cold, overcast skies, and the wind is NW windy, steady rain
    Encounter check: 18: Encounter: (10:18 AM): Lawless/Day: 85: Brigands/Highwayman: 53: Offering employment
    Attitude: 54: Alarmed
    Alright, some quick calculations tell me that this encounter happens right at the Last Bridge, in visible distance from the Last Inn.
    Bandits offering employment can be either taken literally (bandits could be sellswords) or they could “offer protection” in a general sense or as a toll to the bridge. I’m leaning towards the latter rather than the former, but sometimes it all depends on the balance of the forces. At the very least it seems that a fight could possibly be avoided.
    Let’s start by asking some questions to the Oracle.

    Q: Are there many bandits?
    A: Yes, and, they’re well armed. Intervention: Entity Negative: (Leowyn/Enryn/Caravan/Bandits): Caravan. Okay it’s pretty obvious that the situation isn’t advantageous to the caravan. Maybe as they were going through the bridge, they got ambushed and surrounded.
    Bandits: 1d6, twice, pick highest: 6 bandits.
    Q: Did the bandits surround the caravan?
    A: No
    Q: Did a wheel break off a cart?
    A: Yes, and it happened due to a covered loose stone on the bridge, probably done this way by the bandits.
    Q: Do the bandits “offer protection”?
    A: No
    Q: Do the bandits demand to fix the cart for a tribute? (Likely)
    A: False Presupposition. The bandits will ruin the cart completely.

    After another cold rainy night, sapping their strength, the caravan is almost at the Last Inn, but as it goes through the Last Bridge, one of the cart wheels falls into a hole that wasn’t visible. The sheer weight, cracks the wheel, and the cart gets stuck.
    At the same time, three cloaked figures from the west and three from the east side of the bridge appear, blocking any escape.
    They have short swords in their hands, and wear some sort of cured leather armor.
    A bearded man steps front and starts speaking, while the rest approach the caravan together.
    Unless Leowyn and Enryn begin a fight, they can’t stop them from advancing. And the odds seem against them.
    “Fellow travelers. What luck that you came our way. So many caravans are plagued by thieves and brigands. We will help you in your our of need, to fix your cart in a moment.” Before anyone has a chance to speak he turns to his men.
    “Boys! fix the axle!” And two men dash to the cart.
    Q: Does Enryn try to stop them?
    A: Yes
    Q: Does he use force?
    A: No

    Opposed MM roll: Enryn: 0170+18: -53: Fumble: 72: You Slip. 75% Chance of Falling: 86: No fall. Stunned 2 rounds. Bandit: 55+5=60: 80.

    Enryn tries to stop them, putting his horse in the way, but the slippery bridge from the downpour makes him lose control. By the time he has calmed his horse, the men have surrounded the axle.
    Leowyn shouts. “Halt. We will fix the axle.”

    Influence: 32: Failure

    With a grin on his face, the man responds. “But you can’t deny our help lady.”
    In a moment the men kick the other wheel, and the cart axle breaks, the cart hitting the ground.
    Enryn grabs his sword, but the men are pointing their blades to the crew.
    Tensions are high.
    “I believe you can’t leave your supplies unguarded in these dangerous roads, so we will guard them. Move on, and they will be safe.” The man adds.
    “That’s robbery!” Wyny says.
    “I call it services rendered.” The man responds.

    Q: Is the cart with Wyny and Suse the one broken?
    A: No
    Q: Does Wyny orders the guards to attack?
    A: No, and he feels threatened. Intervention. Entity Negative: (Leowyn/Enryn/Caravan/Bandits): Caravan.
    Q: Do the bandits take a prisoner?
    A: Yes: (Ambald/Eram/Sige): Ambald.

    “And we will keep this fine man with us, to make sure you don’t do anything stupid. We’ll release him in a few hours.” The man adds, as one of the bandits grabs a shaken Ambald.
    “Come on now, go on your way.” He adds.
    Grumbling Wyny orders the caravan to move on, towards the Last Inn, having lost a cart full of goods to the bandits.

    I need to stop the session here, because I need to know the condition of the rest of the party before I continue. So for the next episode I will be switching to Camthalion and the comatose Dwalin from Day 15 3rd Watch to Day 25th 3rd Watch. As far as bookkeeping is concerned Leowyn only gained 200 EP for the travel, reaching 4891 EP total.

    Session Summary

    Not much of a session this one. I know that random encounters are supposed to be meaningful encounters, but that concept goes with social ttrpgs in mind, where the story is a huge part of the overall experience as the GM fills in all the other details to make the world feel alive. In solo though, as I saw in the previous sessions the Open World concept is very important, and it comes alive by non meaningful, everyday encounters, just like the farmers collecting fruit.
    As to the bandits encounter it was a tough call. Essentially it came down to the caravan master and guard. If any of them would be aggressive towards the bandits, a fight would break out. Odds were against us though, even worse than in the previous bandit ambush. Since the caravan was near the Last Inn, it was in Leowyn’s best interest to not engage, but she would actively support in case of a fight.

     
  • giorgis 12:44 am on May 19, 2021 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    In the Trollshaws. Ep09 

    Day 20, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW windy
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    Day 20, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (1) is cold, clear skies, and the wind is N calm
    Encounter check: 16: No encounter

    Day 20, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (1) is cool, clear skies, and the wind is N windy
    Encounter check: 7: No encounter

    Day 20, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (2) is warm, cloudy skies, and the wind is N breeze
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter

    Day 20, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (2) is cool, cloudy skies, and the wind is N windy
    Encounter check: 2: No encounter

    Day 20, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (3) is cool, clear skies, foggy, and the wind is NE calm
    Encounter check: 4: No encounter

    Day 21, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (4) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SE breeze
    Encounter check: 11: No encounter

    Day 21, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (4) is warm, clear skies, foggy and the wind is SE calm
    Encounter check: 18: No encounter

    Day 21, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (4) is hot, clear skies, and the wind is SE windy
    Encounter check: 20: Encounter: Lawful/Day: 82: Brigands/Highwayman: 32: Seeking/offering Directions
    Attitude: 44: Neutral

    Initially I laughed at the Brigands seeking/offering directions to the caravan, but it gifted me an excellent opportunity for placing an ambush. Seems that’s the brigands play. Let’s see if the caravan can see through it.

    Two nights and a day pass without anything of importance. The weather becomes gentler. No longer does the cold chill of the North freeze their bones, but it becomes warmer and warmer.
    Less than an hour after they have begun their trip for the 3rd day, they see travellers on the road.

    Q: How many travellers are visible? (1d6 twice, pick lowest)
    A: 2
    Q: Are there any carts?
    A: Yes

    Now I’ll roll Perception for each of the guards and Leowyn.
    Perception Hreodhelm: 74: Failure
    Perception Enryn: 98+81= 179: Absolute Success
    Perception Leowyn: 17+5=22: Failure

    So Enryn sees everything. Let’s ask the Oracle.
    Q: Are there more travellers? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and it’s a lot of them. Intervention: Regress Plot.

    It’s quite self evident, there is an ambush and it’s a plot regression.
    Q: How many more bandits? (1d6 twice, pick highest)
    A: 5
    Q: Are they far away?
    A: No, and, they’re hiding right by the road in the ditch. Intervention: Entity Positive.
    Q: Leowyn/Guards/Bandits
    A: Leowyn
    Leowyn is in an advantageous tactical position. Her horse far away from melee, but she can charge easily the enemy.

    The caravan moves forward before a right turn. Two men are pushing a cart along the road. One of them lifts his hand to ask a question. As he starts to speak, with the raising of his hand, his cloak is lifted and a gleaming sword blade is uncovered.
    Enryn notices it and quickly looks around trouble. By the ditch in the left side of the road, a handful of men lie in wait, stuck against the ground.
    He knows time is of the essence. He draws his sword. “Ambush! To arms!” He yells.
    The caravan halts and the crew gathers together, while Hreodhelm and Leowyn draws their blades as well.
    Their ambush foiled, the brigands don’t waiver at all. They charge the caravan from the sides and front.
    Blood will be spilled.

    I will be running the battle in theater of the mind. Unfortunately despite a vast amount of minis, I’m lagging behind on painting my carts and riders.
    So, the caravan consisting of two horse drawn carts, one behind the other, with 3 crew each, has stopped after a right curve on the road. The left side of the curvature has a ditch where 5 bandits lie in wait and leaped out to charge. Since Enryn saw them, the caravan stopped before being surrounded. The caravan is a bit behind. The 5 bandits are on the left side of the mounted caravan guards, about 15′ away.
    The bandit cart with the two bandits on the road on the other hand is a bit further ahead, around 60′ away.
    Leowyn has an advantage. She happened to be guarding the rear, and is about 100′ away back on the road from the front cart.
    The caravan crew won’t fight unless attacked directly. Then, since they’re not warriors, I’ll be rolling 1d3 for Fight, Freeze or Flee for each attacked crewman.
    The caravan guards will be using level 1d3 warrior stats. They wear Rigid Leather, metal helmets, greaves and bracers. They carry broadswords and shields.
    The bandits are thugs. They carry short swords (the ones by the cart), handaxes and clubs (I’ll roll randomly) and wear soft leather armor. They will be using level 1 scout stats.

    Initiative hack: I'll be rolling 1d10 and adding that to each character's M&M bonus to see initiative order.

    Leowyn: 3-15= -12
    Hreodhelm: (Level: 1): Initiative: 6
    Enryn: (Level: 3): Initiative: 7+5=12
    Enemies: Initiative: 10+5= 15

    Round 1

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 39+5=44: 30: Moves and Attacks: 31+21+30-100-15=-33:-
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 90+5=95: 70: Moves and Attacks: 72+21+70-100-10-15=38:-
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: MM: 90+5=95: 70: Moves and Attacks: 84+21+70-100-15=60:-
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: MM: 30+5=35: 20: Moves and Attacks: 46+21+20-100-10-15=-38:-
    Bandit 5(Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 16+5=21: 20: Moves and Attacks: 87+21+20-100-10-40=-22:-
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Closes in on Hreodhelm
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Closes in on Enryn
    Enryn: Attacks Bandit 3: 56+69-20=105: 14C: 43: Minor Chest Wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.
    Hreodhelm: Attacks Bandit 1: 39+43-20=62:-
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 5 from the Rear: MM: 60+46=106:90:Rides and Attacks: 27+38+15-20-100+90+35=85:9A: 82-20=62: Minor forearm wound. +4 hits. 2 hits per round. Stunned 1 round.

    Round 2

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Hreodhelm: 92+41-40=93: 9A: 68-20=48: Minor Chest Wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: 96+71+41-40-10=158: 20E(D): 80+10=90: Blow to back of head paralyzes from the shoulders down. +25 hits. Foe quite stunned. Hreodhelm is down.
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: 44+41-40-5=40:-
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: 99+19+41-10-40=109: 11B: 43-10=33: Blow to side. +4 hits. -40 to activity for 1 round.
    Bandit 5(Club): Stunned
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Closes in on the front cart.
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Attacks Enryn: MM: 09+5=14: 50: Moves and Attacks: 88+21+50-100-40: 19:-
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 3: 48+69-20-40=57:-
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 5: 0538+38+15+35=20:-

    Round 3

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Leowyn: MM: 72+5=77: 100: Moves and Attacks: 28+21-40=9:-
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Leowyn: MM: 66+5=71: 90: Moves and Attacks: 52+21+90-100-10-40=13:-
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: 92+41-40-5=88: 7A: 27-20=7: Minor calf wound. 1 hit per round.
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: 03: Fumble: You lose your wind and you realize you should try to relax. -40 to activity for 2 rounds.
    Bandit 5(Club): Attacks Leowyn: 46+41-40-10=37:-
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Attacks: (Ambald/Berter/Eram): Ambald: MM: 13+5=18: 10: Climbs the cart and attacks: 71+21-100+10-(Fight/Freeze/Flee): Fight: -20=-18:-
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Attacks Enryn: 54+41-40=55:-
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 3: 100+81+69-20=230: 25E: 82+20=102: Major abdominal wound. +10 hits. 8 hits per round. -10 to activity. Stunned 4 rounds. Bandit 3 is down.
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 5: 40+38+15-20=73: 5
    Ambald attacks Bandit 6: 27+41-20=48:-

    Right here I was completely frustrated. I know the game is crunchy and dangerous and I know that some bad rolls can kill you without warning but I find the system lacking in terms of mounted combat and tactical options among others. Tactical options are limited to a distribution of Offensive and Defensive Bonus.
    So I decided that if Leowyn survived, I'd convert her to Mythras or Hârnmaster. Realizing that my previous failures to convert her had to do mostly with me not converting the Rohirim Culture and Warrior profession to the respective systems beforehand.
    I set to read the MERP book first to plan the conversion and I read the following text in the Special Abilities of the Rohirim
    +20 bonus to melee Offensive Bonus when fighting from horseback
    That text was nowhere in my character sheet. Doh. I went back and corrected my Attacks retrospectively. I'm keeping everything as is, rerolling where necessary to show how a single rule can change everything.

    Round 1

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 39+5=44: 30: Moves and Attacks: 31+21+30-100-15=-33:-
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 90+5=95: 70: Moves and Attacks: 72+21+70-100-10-15=38:-
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: MM: 90+5=95: 70: Moves and Attacks: 84+21+70-100-15=60:-
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: MM: 30+5=35: 20: Moves and Attacks: 46+21+20-100-10-15=-38:-
    Bandit 5(Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: MM: 16+5=21: 20: Moves and Attacks: 87+21+20-100-10-40=-22:-
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Closes in on Hreodhelm
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Closes in on Enryn
    Enryn: Attacks Bandit 3: 56+69-20=105: 14C: 43: Minor Chest Wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.
    Hreodhelm: Attacks Bandit 1: 39+43-20=62:-
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 5 from the Rear: MM: 60+46=106:90:Rides and Attacks: 27+38+15-20-100+90+35+20=105:14C: 82=82: Slash weapon arm. +10 hits. 1 hit per round. If no arm armor: muscle and tendon damage, arm useless.

    The bandits quickly charge at the caravan guards, trying to flank them, but the sheer size of the steeds doesn’t allow them. They have lost their footing trying to get out of the ditch and fail to wound either guard, while the bandits from the roadside close in. Enryn wounds a bandit to the chest, causing him to bleed, but Hreodhelm can’t get a clear attack, trying to get his horse under control. Leowyn rides from the rear, slashing the arm of an unsuspecting bandit, who screams in pain, his weapon arm dangling around motionless.

    Round 2

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Hreodhelm: 92+41-40=93: 9A: 68-20=48: Minor Chest Wound. +3 hits. 1 hit per round. -5 to activity.
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Hreodhelm: 96+71+41-40-10=158: 20E(D): 80+10=90: Blow to back of head paralyzes from the shoulders down. +25 hits. Foe quite stunned. Hreodhelm is down.
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: 44+41-40-5=40:-
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: 99+19+41-10-40=109: 11B: 43-10=33: Blow to side. +4 hits. -40 to activity for 1 round.
    Bandit 5(Club): Flees.
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Closes in on the front cart.
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Attacks Enryn: MM: 09+5=14: 50: Moves and Attacks: 88+21+50-100-40: 19:-
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 3: 48+69-20-40=57:-
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 4 from the rear: MM: 90+46=136: 120: Attacks Bandit 4: 0538+38+15+35+20+120-100=60:-

    Hreodhelm is surrounded. He receives a handaxe to the chest, and as the blow reels him back, piercing his leather armor, another bandit clubs him to the back of the head. He falls down from the horse, paralyzed.
    Three other bandits attack Enryn, who fights them off, using his horse and shield to keep them at bay. He receives a club to the side, unbalancing him, and causing his attacks to miss.
    As the bandit that Leowyn disabled flees, she turns her attention to the one that wounded Enryn, and attacks him from the rear, but she finds clean air.
    One of the remaining six bandits in the fight has the cart on his sights.

    Round 3

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Leowyn: MM: 72+5=77: 100: Moves and Attacks: 28+21-40+5=14:-
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Leowyn: MM: 66+5=71: 90: Moves and Attacks: 52+21+90-100-10-40=13:-
    Bandit 3(Handaxe): Attacks Enryn: 92+41-40-5=88: 7A: 27-20=7: Minor calf wound. 1 hit per round.
    Bandit 4(Club): Attacks Enryn: 03: Fumble: You lose your wind and you realize you should try to relax. -40 to activity for 2 rounds.
    Bandit 5(Club): Flees.
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Attacks: (Ambald/Berter/Eram): Ambald: MM: 13+5=18: 10: Climbs the cart and attacks: 71+21-100+10+10-(Fight/Freeze/Flee): Fight: -20=-8:-
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Attacks Enryn: 54+41-40+10=65:-
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 3: 100+81+69-20=230: 25E: 82+20=102: Major abdominal wound. +10 hits. 8 hits per round. -10 to activity. Stunned 4 rounds. Bandit 3 is down.
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 4 from the flank: 40+38+15-20+20+15=108: 15C: 96=96: Knocked out for 6 hours with a strike to the side of head. +15 hits. If no helm: dies instantly. Bandit 4 is down.
    Ambald attacks Bandit 6: 27+41-20+10=58:-

    2 more enemies down. Suddenly things don't look as bleak

    The bandits that brought Hreodhelm down turn their attention to Leowyn, who parries their blows. Enryn’s calf is wounded by a bandit’s handaxe, and he returns the favor. His sword digs deep into his enemy’s abdomen, and he pulls out a bloody blade as the bandit falls. The two other bandits fighting him fail to wound him, one of them fumbling his attack severely, losing his wind. Leowyn attacks him from the side, hitting him to the head with her sword, killing him at once.
    A bandit finds his way to the carts, attacking the Ambald the teamster, who manages to find the courage to fight and fend off his attacker.

    Round 4

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Attacks Leowyn: 55+41-40+5=61: 2
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Leowyn: 82+41-10-40=73: 7
    Bandit 5(Club): Down due to blood loss.
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Attacks Ambald: 43+41-20+10=74:-
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Attacks Enryn: 55+41-40+10=66:2
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 7: 27+69-20=76: 7A: 91-20=71: Medium thigh wound. +6 hits. 1 hit per round. -10 to activity. Stunned 2 rounds.
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 1: 69+38+15-20+20=122: 19D: 43+10=53: Minor forearm wound. +4 hits. 2 hits per round. Stunned 1 round.
    Ambald attacks Bandit 6: 19+41-20+10=50:-

    The fleeing bandit dozes off due to blood loss while running away.
    The couple of bandits fighting Leowyn hit her, but the chain hauberk absorbs most of the impact. She counterattacks, wounding a bandits forearm, causing bleeding, and stunning him.
    Enryn’s armor saves him as well on his duel, and he slashes the bandit’s thigh, causing hemorrhage to his enemy who tries to recover.
    On the cart the fight goes on, without any winner.

    Round 5

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Stunned
    Bandit 2 (Club): Attacks Leowyn: 78+41-10-40=69: 6
    Bandit 6(Short Sword): Attacks Ambald: 56+41-20+10=87: 10A: 25-20=5: Weak strike yields no extra damage. +0 hits.
    Bandit 7(Short Sword): Stunned.
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 7: 46+69-20=95: 12B: 45-10=35: Blow to upper leg. +5 hits. If no leg armor: +3 hits & 2 hits/rnd. Bandit 7 is down.
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 2: 31+38+15-20+20=84: 9A: 53-20=33: Blow to upper leg. +5 hits. If no leg armor: +3 hits & 2 hits/rnd.
    Ambald attacks Bandit 6: 57+41-20+10=88:10B: 23-10=13: Minor calf wound. 1 hit per round.

    With her enemy stunned, Leowyn keeps fighting the other bandit, she receives another wound deflected by the armor, but her sword finds her enemy’s upper leg, causing severe bleeding.
    Enryn’s sword also finds his stunned enemy’s upper leg, causing severe bleeding, and bringing him down.
    On the cart the fight goes on, with the teamster and the bandit causing minor flesh wounds to each other.

    Round 6

    Bandit 1 (Handaxe): Down.
    Q: Does Bandit 2 Flee?
    A: Yes
    Bandit 2 (Club): Turns and flees. Conflicting action (Medium MM) vs Leowyn (Riding, Light MM): 25+5=30: 20 vs 64-15=49: 70. Leowyn wins and attacks.
    Leowyn: Attacks Bandit 2: 79+38+15-20+20=132: 22D: 63+10=73: Medium thigh wound. +6 hits. 1 hit per round. -10 to activity. Stunned 2 rounds. Bandit 2 is down.
    Q: Does Bandit 6 Flee?
    A: Yes, and he drops his sword as he does so. Armbald doesn’t follow.
    Bandit 6: Turns and flees.
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 6 from the rear: MM: 29+6: 60: Rides and Attacks: 28+69-20+35+60-100=72: 5.

    Leowyn’s opponent with the bleeding arm, drops from blood loss. His friend loses his nerve and flees. Not before Leowyn has the final word. Her sword carves his thigh, finishing him.
    The bandit on the cart is panicking. He drops his sword, jumps down from the cart and runs on the road. Armbald lets him go, he’s happy to be alive.
    Enryn on the other hand is filled with rage. Despite his bleeding chest, he follows down the road with his horse, reaching him and hitting him with his sword.

    Round 7

    Q: Does Bandit 6 keep running?
    A: Yes.
    Bandit 6: Flees. Conflicting action (Medium MM) vs Enryn (Riding, Light MM): 30+5=35: 20 vs 42=42: 70. Enryn wins and attacks.
    Enryn Attacks Bandit 6:48+69-20=97: 13B: 31-10=21: Blow to upper leg. +5 hits. If no leg armor: +3 hits & 2 hits/rnd. Bandit 6 is down.

    Sometimes the brain freezes. Sometimes you don’t see any solution and keep doing what you were hoping for a different outcome. So did the unarmed bandit try to escape on foot from a rider instead of begging for his life. Enryn slashed him, hitting his leg, and letting him bleed out.

    So things to do now:

    • Bandage Enryn
    • Bandage Hreodhelm and put him on the cart
    • Search bandit cart
    • Search bandit possessions

    For the bandit cart I’ll use MERP random table generator at Very Poor.
    For the bandit possessions I’ll use Harnmaster loot table.

    Bandit cart: 40: 2 Composition rolls: 70: 80 bp, 7: 50 tp. Magic Items: 63: 0.
    Bandit 1: 1 sp
    Bandit 2: –
    Bandit 3: 2 sp
    Bandit 4: 2 sp
    Bandit 5: 5 sp, Earrings (5 dr, Gold, adorned with 14 carat quartz), Broach (3 dr, Jade, adorned with 2 agate 13 carat), Pendant(14dr, Gold), Written work (Carved Wood, Local Region, Middle Age, Perfect Condition, Journal)
    Bandit 6: –
    Bandit 7: 4 sp

    Q: Does Leowyn search the bandits first?
    A: No
    Q: Is it Enryn?
    A: Yes, and he gets hold of the jewelry.
    Q: Does Leowyn search the cart first?
    A: Yes, but, it doesn’t leave her time to search anything else.
    Q: Does Enryn split the spoils?
    A: No, and, he tries to hide the jewelry, and never mentions it.

    Soon after the wounded are taken care of any bleeding, the caravan crew jumps on a frenzy to gather the loot. Leowyn searches the cart, looking for any clues, but soon she catches wind of Enryn searching the pockets and pouches of the bandits that fled, while the crew does likewise in the dead bandits by the caravan. Realizing there’s no sharing the spoils, she keeps a hefty amount of bronze and tin pieces she found for herself, and gets back to the group.

    That was some gold the bandit was carrying around in jewels. Seems they must have recently hit a rich mark. Too bad Leowyn won’t get a grip of it.

    Q: Does Wyny want to return to Bree?
    A: Yes
    Q: Can Suse heal Hreodhelm?
    A: False Presupposition. Hreodhelm’s horse scared from the fight, fled off, knocking him down, killing him. Hreodhelm is dead.

    Wyny is scared. He calls for a meeting. “We can’t get to Tharbad with just one guard. The roads are teeming with bandits. We’re doomed. It may cost us a bit, but we’re going to be safer.

    Leowyn will counter propose her protection until Tharbad.
    Q: Does Wyny agree? (Likely, she proved her skill)
    A: Yes.

    “I’ll take his place. We go to the Last Bridge as promised. Then I’ll escort your caravan to Tharbad. You’ll pay me of course. Starting today. I’ll take Hreodhelm’s place.”
    Wyny thinks about it for a moment, and shakes her hand. “We have a deal.”
    He turns to his crew. “Alright, let’s do a proper burial for Hreodhelm, and these scum.”
    The crew gets to work.

    Q: Is Hreodhelm’s horse nearby?
    A: Yes

    They pick Hreodhelm’s horse, and get it back to the caravan, as they complete their tasks to continue on the road.

    Bookkeeping

    NameDays Rations
    Leowyn5

    Arrows: Leowyn is at 35 arrows.

    Critical DeliveredBandit 1Bandit 2Bandit 4Bandit 5
    Leowyn20251515
    Kill PointsEP
    Leowyn725
    Criticals ReceivedEP
    Leowyn0
    Hits ReceivedEP
    Leowyn15
    Maneuver PointsEP
    Leowyn10
    Travel PointsEP
    Leowyn35
    Non-Idea EP TotalEP
    Leowyn860

    I’ll award Leowyn half the amount as Idea EP for standing her ground and convincing Wyny to keep on for 430 more EP. Total 1290EP.

    Summing up, from previous session.

    NameExperience Points
    Leowyn4691 EP

    Hit Points: Leowyn is at 14 hit points, Enryn is at 33 hit points.

    Money: The party pool is 5sp, 82bp, 6cp and 59tp.

    Session Summary

    As I pointed out one (hidden) modifier changed the entire combat. My approach is to fix mistakes so long as the session is still malleable. Once posted it’s a done deal.
    I’m aware that I’m not always applying all modifiers possible, but TOTM makes running tactical combats very hard. I just try to adjudicate evenly so that my choices apply to both sides of the fight.
    A nice combat is where MERP shines, and this was a splatter. I still want a more modern system, but nevertheless I had fun visualizing all those criticals.
    At one point I was afraid of being too much murder hobo, but it was pretty straightforward. Swords were drawn before threats were made. The bloodbath was faster than tactical decisions and within moments it was over.
    The action economy (7 vs 3) was very dangerous, but the better equipment paid off.
    I’m really curious if the caravan will manage to reach their destination in these treacherous times.

     
  • giorgis 7:38 pm on May 12, 2021 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: ,   

    In the Trollshaws. Ep08 

    I’ve spent like two sessions worth of time trying to convert Leowyn to Runequest or Harnmaster. I didn’t like either approach, so I ditched it and decided to continue with MERP.
    After thorough checking various sources, I’ve settled that the distance from the Last Inn to Bree is about 210 miles. If she rides fast she can reach Bree in about four days. Much safer than trying her luck in the Hillmen city of Cameth Brin.
    Since Bree is a village, she may not find a healer or someone to sell the tomes to, so she might have to continue to Fornost.

    I’m switching to Harnmaster encounter rules since I find them simpler to establish for this type of travel.

    Day 15, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (13) is cool, the clouds clear, and the wind becomes a gale
    Encounter check: 4: No encounter

    Leowyn rides west at first morning light, past the last bridge towards Bree.

    Day 15, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (13) is cool, the clouds clear, and the wind becomes a breeze
    Encounter check: 19: Ecounter: Lawless/Day: 92: Military: 19: Local Garrison/guard/patrol/etc.: 62: Recruiting.
    Time: (1d4): 1: 1 pm.
    Attitude: 31: Unfriendly.
    Leowyn Perception: 516+10=-1.
    Patrol Perception: 62+27=89.

    So, I decide that the Perception roll will identify at how many yards distance each side will notice the other. Leowyn doesn’t notice them at all, maybe they hid or was distracted. The Patrol noticed Leowyn coming towards them at 89 yards away.

    Q: Is the patrol Hillmen? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and they’re proud and haughty.
    Q: Does the patrol head towards Leowyn? (Likely)
    A: Yes, and they are alarmed
    Q: Does the patrol have horses? (Unlikely)
    A: Yes, and they’re all mounted
    Q: Does the patrol recognize Leowyn is Rohirim?
    A: No
    Q: Many or not? (2d6/1d6)
    A: Not Many: 3, and Intervention: Wild: Fight fire with fire.
    Q: Is it Fire?
    A: No, but there is Smoke
    Q: Which direction?
    A: NW

    Lost in her thoughts, Leowyn doesn’t realize she has ridden right in the middle of a Rhudaur patrol. The three riders eye her carefully, wondering what is doing on the road all by herself. They’re just about to begin questions when one of them points something to the North West. A cloud of smoke rises to the sky. They change direction, and gallop their horses fast towards it. Leowyn breathes a sigh of relief.

    Now here’s an important aspect regarding Story Driven play and Chekhov’s Gun. I did nothing on my end as a Player to get out of what appeared to be a tough situation. The GME (assorted Oracle and GM Tools), in the same way that it presented to me an obstacle, as a Deus Ex Machina, removed it without any Player interaction.
    Currently I’m partial to this. The Chekhov’s Gun (coming from the Story Driven side) states that there’s no point in presenting something if it’s not going to be used.
    On the other hand, an Open World approach does this all the time, because not every event leads to a story. Sometimes all we’re left with is a “what if…” that plays in the back of our heads.
    In this particular case, I’ll go with the Open World approach, as it fits best my Player Driven solo game style so far. I know Leowyn would be curious too to examine the smoke that caused the patrol to leave her be, but finding a healer is the first priority, and she has a long ride ahead, her rations, barely more than what is needed to reach Bree.
    I’ll keep an open mind to upcoming events, as they just might connect to this one.

    Day 15, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (13) is freezing, the clouds clear, and the wind becomes a storm
    Encounter check: 14: No Encounter

    She camps some distance from the road, and rests for the night.

    Day 15, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (13) is freezing, the clouds clear, and the wind becomes a gale
    Encounter check: 8: No Encounter

    Day 16, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (12) is freezing, overcast skies, and the wind becomes windy
    Encounter check: 14: No Encounter

    Day 16, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (12) is freezing, overcast skies, and the wind becomes a breeze
    Encounter check: 19: Encounter: Lawless/Night: 11: Reroll As Wilderness/Rural: Wilderness: 73: Ethereal: 10: Elmithri/Water Sprite/Water Elemental/etc.
    Can’t find anything close to what would fit in MERP, in the highway, so I’ll re-roll in the Ethereal table. If I don’t get something useful again, I’ll re-roll in the Wilderness table and so on.
    Ethereal: 97: Unique/rare Ethereal (GM Discretion). Crap, I have to ask now.
    Q: Is it a Nazgul? (Unlikely)
    A: Yes, and he’s accompanied by Wights.
    Okay I read a snippet about how in TA1636 (a few years ago) the Witch King of Angmar sent evil wights to the Barrow-downs in Cardolan in order to prevent the rebirth of that kingdom. Maybe he would send some more.
    Q: Is it the Witch King himself? (Unlikely)
    A: Yes
    Seriously? I’m weighing the results in my favor, but the dice tell their own story.
    Q: Does Leowyn wake up? (Likely)
    A: No, but, her horse does.
    Q: Does her horse wake her up? (Likely)
    A: No
    That’s creepy. I’m stressed now.

    Leowyn is camped to the edge of the highway. A few hours before dawn, an eerie chill bites to the bone, much deeper than the freezing cold of the deep winter. Leowyn can’t tell the difference in her sleep. Terrible nightmares overcome her. She sees dark figures emerge from an abyss and kill her loved one. Stab them again and again. She tries to save them, and they kill her too.
    Trembling in her sleep, she doesn’t hear her trusted horse neigh in fear.

    Q: Does the horse attempt to flee?
    A: No, but, it freezes motionless

    So… does the Witch King and his entourage perceive the camped Rohirim Shield Maiden?
    Reading about it the Nazgul and the Wights inhabit the spirit world. So they wouldn’t detect Leowyn easily, unless the horses would.
    Going through MERP and the Creatures of Middle Earth supplement I’m having a really hard time trying to find a Perception/Generic Skill for creatures. Therefore I have to ask the Oracle.

    Q: Do the horses detect Leowyn?
    A: Yes
    Q: Does the Witch King attack the camp?
    A: No, and they decide to move on.

    Was it because they didn’t care for a puny human? their plans were too important? maybe they didn’t want to risk someone fleeing and telling of their sighting? Whatever the case, they moved on…

    Leowyn woke up in the morning severely tired. She felt as if she had been trampled by a horse. Her head was dizzy and she couldn’t shake the nightmarish visions from her head.
    Her horse was uneasy too. She couldn’t make him relax no matter what.
    Despair had filled her and maybe she had to abandon her task…

    Again, I don’t want to have such an important event go without impact. In this case, I’ll give Chekhov’s Gun a priority. What transpired may cause Leowyn to abandon her party and head off to find her lover’s killers to the South. Nevertheless, I’ll roll an Essence RR against her own level (50/50).

    Essence RR: 56+5=61: Success.

    Leowyn decides her friends need her. They helped her more than once, and now they rely on her. She puts to the task, gathers her belongings and continues West.

    Day 16, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (13) is cool, clear skies, and the wind becomes stormy
    Encounter check: 3: No encounter

    Day 16, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (13) is cool, clear skies, and the wind becomes windy
    Encounter check: 18: Lawless/Day: 98: Adventurer: 66: Escaping Persecution/the Law/etc.
    Time: 7, 20: twenty past three pm.
    I’ll use Donjon for some input.
    Reyja Horbridotr: Female Dwarf Fighter, Good. Reyja has thin red hair and blue eyes, and walks with a limp. She wears chain mail and wields a ranseur. Reyja is pious and honorable.

    As always, I’m keeping any of the above non-facts as possible truths until they get challenged. It’s like reading an adventure module.

    Q: Is Reyja mounted?
    A: Yes, and she’s riding a pony
    Q: Is she riding away?
    A: Yes

    Leowyn catches up to a dwarf pony rider as her horse trots a lot faster. She’s armed and armored.

    Attitude: 7: Hostile

    Q: Does Reyja try to flee?
    A: Yes
    Q: Does she change direction off trail?
    A: No

    The moment Leowyn closes in, the dwarf spurs her beast and gallops away. Leowyn decides not to press on, as night closes in and she needs to camp.

    Day 16, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (14) becomes cool, cloudy skies, and the wind becomes a SE breeze
    Encounter check: 5: No Encounter

    Day 16, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (14) is cool, cloudy skies, and the wind is a SE breeze
    Encounter check: 19: Lawless/Night: 48: Reroll as Wilderness/Rural: Rural: 61: Reroll as Highway: 69: Reroll as Wilderness/Rural: Wilderness: 38: Local Tribe/patrol/etc.

    So I don’t want another “this happened in your sleep” encounter. I decide that from now on, an encounter means that for whatever reason Leowyn awoke and becomes aware of whatever comes.
    Encounter distance: 1d10*10′: 1: 10′
    Number: 2d3-1: 4
    Q: Are they mounted?
    A: No

    Leowyn awakes from her sleep and grabs her sword to see four figures approaching. They are men and speak the local dialect.

    Q: Have they seen her?
    A: No

    She stays silent, holding her breath hoping that they will not notice her.

    Stalk/Hide:
    Perception 1:48+5-5= 48: Failure
    Perception 2:8+5-5= 8: Failure
    Perception 3:21+5-5= 21: Failure
    Perception 4:23+5-5= 23: Failure

    The patrol moves past Leowyn and her sleeping horse without noticing her. Leowyn’s heart pumps heavily. She only returns to sleep after they are long gone.

    So I just realized I made a mistake regarding the weather. All this time I was rolling on the Winter table but Hithui is Fall. I’ll switch to the Autumn table, and just consider these some very unusually cold days that passed.

    Day 17, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (13) is cool, cloudy skies, and the wind is NE breeze
    Encounter check: 8: No encounter

    Day 17, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (15) is cool, overcast skies, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 11: No encounter

    Day 17, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (15) is cool, overcast skies, and the wind is SW gale
    Encounter check: 6: No encounter

    Leowyn picks up her gear and rides west.

    Day 17, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (14) is cool, overcast skies, with a heavy rain and the wind is S gale
    Encounter check: 12: No encounter

    Leowyn continues west past Amon Sul, the Weathertop.

    Day 17, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (14) is cool, overcast skies, with a heavy rain and the wind is S gale
    Encounter check: 1: No encounter

    She camps through the night near the highway.

    Day 17, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (15) is cool, overcast skies, the rain stops and the wind is SW gale
    Encounter check: 3: No encounter

    Day 18, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (15) is cool, overcast skies, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 16: No encounter

    Day 18, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (17) is cool, clear skies, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 2: No encounter

    Day 18, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (17) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SW gale
    Encounter check: 1: No encounter

    Leowyn picks up where she left off, riding on the East Road, south of the Midgewater marshes towards bree. The weather is warm drying her clothes after the heavy rain of the previous day. She should be closing in on Bree tomorrow.

    Day 18, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (17) is warm, clear skies, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 7: No encounter

    Day 18, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (19) is freezing, overcast skies, sleet falls, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 1: No encounter

    And I realize that the different season means there are 3 daylight watches instead of just 2. I wouldn’t have Force Marched the horse, but I might have had to roll on different encounter tables. WIll be more careful now.

    As night falls, so does sleet. She covers herself and the horse in a warm blanket and rests for the night.

    Day 18, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (19) is freezing, overcast skies, sleet falls, and the wind is SW windy
    Encounter check: 15: No encounter

    Day 19, Hithui, 1st Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, sleet stops, and the wind is NW breeze
    Encounter check: 20: Encounter: Lawful/Night: 32: Reroll as Wilderness/Rural: Wilderness: 10: Tracks/Spores/Sounds: 60: Wild/stray Boar/pig/etc: 87: Eating/Kill/Grazing/Foraging/Hunting/etc.
    Attitude: Friendly

    Leowyn wakes up to the sound of an animal. It’s a wild pig going through her supplies! “Shoo! Shoo!” She shouts and throws a little rock near it. The pig quickly takes off.

    Q: Did the pig eat any rations?
    A: Yes

    Spoiled by the pig, her last rations are gone. She knows Bree is less than one day’s ride away. She hopes she can get there without much fuss, have a nice meal and restock on supplies.

    Day 19, Hithui, 2nd Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW gale
    Encounter check: 17: No encounter

    Day 19, Hithui, 3rd Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW breeze
    Encounter check: 20: Lawful/Day: 47: Caravan with Escort

    How many wagons? (1d6): 2
    How many guards per wagon? (1d4): 1
    How many crew per wagon? (1d4): 3
    How many horses? (1d6): 4
    So two one-horse carts, with six crew, including a caravan master and a teamster, escorted by two riders.

    Leowyn sees Bree to the far distance and picks up her pace. Her stomach is growling. She sees dust, and calms her horse down. She’s near civilized lands so she doesn’t expect any trouble, but she is on guard, given the previous days’ events.
    Closing in, she comes across a caravan of two carts with two riders.
    Keeping a safe distance, she waves to the caravan.

    Attitude: 35: Guarded

    The guards put their hands on their sword handles, showing they’re at the ready. The teamster looks at her without waving back. He has short auburn hair and blue eyes. He wears simple clothing and a wooden holy symbol.
    Leowyn decides to try her luck.
    “Good morning fellow travellers. I know my visage is rough, but so have been my days on the road. I’m coming from the Last Bridge. A friend of mine is in need of a healer. Does one travel with you? We have coin and goods to barter, if that doesn’t take you out of your route.”

    As I have pointed out before in MERP, there is not much focus on diplomacy skills. It’s from the Old School family of games where such skills were role-played. Therefore I’ll do a combination of the Influence action from MERP with an Oracle question modified by the Influence result (Influenced one might say!).

    Influence: Medium difficulty (they’re guarded): 25: Failure
    Since it’s not an absolute failure, or success, my oracle question will be unmodified.

    Q: Does the caravan master take to the offer?
    A: Yes

    “We’re heading to Tharbad”. The caravan master said. The caravan master is short and stout, with black hair and green eyes. He wears well-made clothing and several pouches hang from his belt. “Re-routing through the Last Inn will take us a handful of days off course. That’s double normal price at 4 silver, especially going through Rhudaur. Pay upfront. The healing cost will be assessed when we arrive, by Suse, our alchemist, but it will be several gold. If you can’t provide your own rations, the cost is double normal, at 1 bronze for a week’s worth.”
    “I’m good with a sword, sire. I can provide protection to the caravan. This should pay for my rations, and some more.”

    Q: Does he cut any cost? (Likely)
    A: No, and he won’t barter further.

    “We already have a route to follow. That’s the offer, with your sword skills included.” The caravan master says.
    Leowyn nods. “I have the silver for the trip. But not the gold. We have some manuscripts that could be of interest to your alchemist, that we could trade you with.”
    “Let me have a look at them.” The caravan master replies.
    “They’re at the Last Inn. Payment upon the deed.” Leowyn counters.
    “Have it your way. If they’re worthless manuscripts, no service will be provided. Now, hand over the silver.”
    Leowyn pays the caravan master.
    “Name’s Leowyn sire. I come from the lands of Rohan.”
    “I’m Wyny. I lead this caravan. My taskmaster” he points to the auburn haired man, “is Ambald. Suse is our healer. The hands are Berter, Eram and Sige, and the guards Hreodhelm, and Enryn. We come from all over Eriador.” He turns to Ambald, “Let’s get going.”, and the caravan keeps moving.
    Leowyn turns back again the way she came, minutes before entering Bree, accompanying the caravan. No rest for her. She pays one weeks worth of rations to the teamster and fills her belly for the day. At least her trip might be safer now.

    A quick calculation tells me it will take about 6 days for the caravan to reach the Last Inn.

    Day 19, Hithui, 4th Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW windy
    Encounter check: 10: No encounter
    Mechanical trouble: 21: No trouble

    Day 19, Hithui, 5th Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW windy
    Encounter check: 20: Lawful/Night: 48: Reroll as Wilderness/Rural: Rural: 34: Forester: 86: Working/Looking for work/etc.

    Taking turns at watches, the caravan sets to the night tasks. A forester comes to the camp, looking for work, but the teamster turns him away.

    Day 19, Hithui, 6th Watch

    The weather (20) is freezing, cloudy skies, and the wind is NW windy
    Encounter check: 11: No encounter


    I decide this is a good spot to stop this session. I’m spent due to the whole situation, but I really wanted to continue this game, as I enjoy it. So I took this slowly, and sometimes I just played a couple paragraphs worth of text. Took me about a handful of days to finish this session, and I’m looking forward to the next.
    I’ll do some bookkeeping now.

    Bookkeeping

    Name Days Rations
    Leowyn 7

    Arrows: Leowyn is at 35 arrows.

    Criticals Received EP
    Leowyn 0
    Travel Points EP
    Leowyn 325
    Non-Idea EP Total EP
    Leowyn 325

    I’ll give the entire part half the total as idea points, just because she travelled alone. 162 EP total.

    Summing up, from previous session.

    Name Experience Points
    Leowyn 3401 EP

    Money: The party pool is 5sp, 2bp, 6cp and 9tp.
    Decided to remove the money from the party pool instead of Leowyn’s own possessions for ease of use.

    Hit Points: Leowyn is at full hit points

    Session Summary

    This session was mostly me, getting back my solo RPGing footing.
    The session wasn’t much interesting in terms of events, which is to be expected since my PCs task was going from one place to another.
    I need to settle on how to run random encounters, but I think I’m quite close to how I want them to be.
    The Nâzgul not-encounter felt quite odd, as I was switching hats between Gamemaster and Player. Deciding that an encounter always means that my PC has detected something, is a major step on a Player Driven game, and I’ll keep that in mind from now on.
    In general Hârnmaster has more complete tools for each situation than MERP, which makes sense, considering that Hârn 3ed which I’m running is much more modern.
    Unless something stops them, the next session will be about the caravan going to the last bridge Inn, and the next one will switch back to Camthalion’s story while waiting for Leowyn to return.

     
c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
Reply
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t
Go to top
l
Go to login
h
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
Cancel
Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started